Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega CD back up RAM cart work on any region?

Default Sega CD back up RAM cart work on any region?

Hello all

Are the Sega CD back up ram carts region free? Or will they only work on a single region console?

For example one could have a modified MD, but will I have to have the console set to (say) Euro (or in my case Australia) if I have a MD sega ram from that region? So having the Sega CD Ram cart from Australia, would it still work if I had it switched to USA or Japan?

Hopefully I haven't confused people.....

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Yeah, I have a Japanese RAM cart that works perfectly in my Sega CD drive. It's all basically the exact same hardware inside, the difference is purely cosmetic.

Hey thanks for the reply, is the RAM cart text all in Japanese though? I downloaded the Japanese RAM cart instructions (believe it was you who uploaded it?) and thought "oh crap, I can't read Japanese!"

The instructions rely purely on your Sega CD's BIOS, the cart quite literally has nothing but SRAM on it. I can take photos, if you want.

Also, glad to see someone making use of my scans. Although, they appear to be downscaled versions of the ones I gave them (assuming you got them from Sega Retro). What a downer. Get higher quality versions here.
    Last edited by Flygon; 08-05-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks again, I think I got the hi-res one as it was about 60Mb as a zipped file. Also will be sourcing a RAM cart.

You definitely got it from the Sonic Retro forums then. Glad I could be of help!

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Where can you get Sega CD ramcarts these days? and are they very expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Where can you get Sega CD ramcarts these days? and are they very expensive?
    eBay - and they usually run (not in box) between $10 and $30. More if in a box. Just keep an eye out - it usually doesn't take long for one to go on sale.

I grabbed mine for $30 boxed shipped from Japan to Australia.

Getting one from America would have been close to double that (for a Buy It Now option).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hello:

I know this thread is very old but I am unable to post new topics and my questions are pretty relevant to this topic.

I just found out from this and other sites that a Japanese Mega CD RAM Cart should work in a US Genesis so I ordered one from eBay. It's much, much cheaper nowadays than an original US or a Stone Age Gamer RAM cart.
    I did have a few questions if anyone may have a similar setup

1. I have a 32x plugged into my Genesis. Does the 32x have the same plastic notches in it the prevent loading a foreign cart like the Genesis does? If so, should I modify the 32x?
    2. Can the Mega CD RAM cart be de-cased and either used without the plastic casing or placed into an empty Genesis case?
    3. I know a Game Genie can be used to make the Japanese cartridge fit but I don't know if a code needs to be used to make it work. I don't think it does but just asking.

Thanks for any further insight you can provide and, again, I apologize for stirring up an old post.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by malarrya View Post
    Hello:

I know this thread is very old but I am unable to post new topics and my questions are pretty relevant to this topic.

I just found out from this and other sites that a Japanese Mega CD RAM Cart should work in a US Genesis so I ordered one from eBay. It's much, much cheaper nowadays than an original US or a Stone Age Gamer RAM cart.
    I did have a few questions if anyone may have a similar setup

1. I have a 32x plugged into my Genesis. Does the 32x have the same plastic notches in it the prevent loading a foreign cart like the Genesis does? If so, should I modify the 32x?
    2. Can the Mega CD RAM cart be de-cased and either used without the plastic casing or placed into an empty Genesis case?
    3. I know a Game Genie can be used to make the Japanese cartridge fit but I don't know if a code needs to be used to make it work. I don't think it does but just asking.

Thanks for any further insight you can provide and, again, I apologize for stirring up an old post.
    1. The 32x slot is a bit larger than the Genesis one. You might be able to fit it
    2. Yup, you can do that.

I have an Everdrive clone which I opened up to see if it had a button cell battery, which it did.

Using the Everdrive Menu system I can copy the Mega-CD RAM to a file on the SD card, at least I think that's what I'm doing.

However I don't understand how saved files can be loaded onto the Mega-CD again.

The Everdrive is never recognised as a RAM option in the Mega-CD memory menu. It cannot be formatted and I can't move files around as I've seen people do on Youtube videos.

So my questions are - should the Everdrive be recognised as a RAM Cart? If so, why isn't mine recognised - do I need to set up a specific file system or load a specific BIN file for that to happen? Or maybe the button cell is dead so it's not being recognised?

If it's not recognised as a RAM Cart, but can save the Mega-CD RAM contents to a file, do I just swap out those files and re-save them after playing? Then load up the one I need using the Everdrive menu to continue playing?

Sorry if that's confusing! Hopefully someone with a clone cart knows what I mean or can point me to a Youtube video of how to manage saves.

Thanks!

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Illogical View Post
    I have an Everdrive clone which I opened up to see if it had a button cell battery, which it did.

Using the Everdrive Menu system I can copy the Mega-CD RAM to a file on the SD card, at least I think that's what I'm doing.

However I don't understand how saved files can be loaded onto the Mega-CD again.

The Everdrive is never recognised as a RAM option in the Mega-CD memory menu. It cannot be formatted and I can't move files around as I've seen people do on Youtube videos.

So my questions are - should the Everdrive be recognised as a RAM Cart? If so, why isn't mine recognised - do I need to set up a specific file system or load a specific BIN file for that to happen? Or maybe the button cell is dead so it's not being recognised?

If it's not recognised as a RAM Cart, but can save the Mega-CD RAM contents to a file, do I just swap out those files and re-save them after playing? Then load up the one I need using the Everdrive menu to continue playing?

Sorry if that's confusing! Hopefully someone with a clone cart knows what I mean or can point me to a Youtube video of how to manage saves.

Thanks!
    Older versions of the Everdrive didn't have RAM Cart capabilities.
    At least not natively. If you can save/load files to SD then the Mega CD should be able to use them when copied to the internal RAM.

A formatted RAM Cart is recognized by supported games, and data can be directly saved from within the game.
    Last edited by lumclaw; 03-15-2019 at 03:41 AM.

Death Adder's minion

The clone Everdrive for Genesis is a clone of the Everdrive MD, an older flash cart that only allows loading of different region sega CD bios files, it can not and will not function as a backup ram cart.

If you want this feature you have to get an official Mega Everdrive, and of the current Mega Everdrive versions available, only the (mid-range) x5 and (high end) X7 do this, and not the cheaper x3

OK thanks! So what's the lithium cell battery for on the board?

Attachment 14852

I'll experiment with saving and moving files to the SD once I've finished my current Shining Force game.

Thread Information