Quantcast

Thread: How to mod your Super Nintendo Mini/Jr/model 2 for S-video

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

SNES How to mod your Super Nintendo Mini/Jr/model 2 for S-video

Super Nintendo SNES JR. mini S-video mod.

Requirements:

-Philips cross head Screwdriver
    -Soldering Iron
    -Solder flux
    -Cables (Highly recommend 28 gauge cables for better handle)
    -Two, 75ohm resistor

First, open your snes jr all the way till you can remove the board. Locate the S-RGB video chip near the cart slot.

As shown in the pic below, You want to soldier a wire to pin 17 and pin 12 on the S-RGB video chip.
    (I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO GET ELECTRICAL TAPE AND COVER THE PINS AROUND PIN 17 TO PREVENT ANY CHANCES OF ACCIDENTALLY SOLDIERING IT TO THE OTHER PINS NEAR IT)

Now after you soldered your cables, find a safe, comfortable way for the wires soldered in PIN 12 & 17 to head to the back of the board that won't interfere when closing back the system.

Next simply solder the 75 ohm resistors to the wires. Solder the 75ohm carrying LUMA to PIN 8 and the 75ohm carrying CHROMA to PIN 7

This extra step is optional but to keep your work extra secured, place some careful drops of hot glue.

Screw the thing back up and your done!

RESULTS

2 images showing the real difference apart. (The following 2 pics not mine)

Plus! it was also noticed that the SNES Jr. actually gives as slightly better brightness than the model 1 SNES as shown below.

SNES model1 (non CHIP1) / SNES model 2

Have fun!

Bonus: If you want to make an s-video jack on the back, once you enabled s-video as shown above. You can simply wire the wires to the s-video jack directly.
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 04-06-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Good job, have you been able to compare the Jr's S-Video compared the the output on the original model SNES? I did a similar RGB mod to my system a while back and I was surprised that the video was quite a bit better than a regular SNES.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Wrong forum. Hardware mods go in Tech Aid. It's not just for asking for hardware aid, but also for PROVIDING hardware aid in the form of "how I did it" posts like this. Blast Processing is for software mods, not hardware mods.

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Good job, have you been able to compare the Jr's S-Video compared the the output on the original model SNES? I did a similar RGB mod to my system a while back and I was surprised that the video was quite a bit better than a regular SNES.
    the rocket shots are actual shots from both snes models with there s-video signals, you can see how snes m2 one has a bit clearer view than the snes m1.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

As someone who's modded an SNES mini for both S-video and RGB, all of the caps listed are completely unnecessary. Just use 75 ohm resistors and you're fine. The same goes for RGB as well.

I don't see no harm wit the cap soldier on, I'll leave it there just for safety though.

I did this one ages ago but I didn't use any caps just resistors and it worked fine. I also wired up rgb

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Oddly enough, when I added S-Video to my Super NES Mini, I saw very little difference between it and Composite. About the only thing I noticed was less color bleed and slightly sharper graphics, but it's not a really big difference like with the Genesis. RGB, though, is better than on my original-model Super NES and Super Famicom. Their RGB is a bit dark, but on the Super NES Mini, the RGB is very bright and colorful.

Another thing about the Super NES Mini is that it doesn't seem to have a yellow tint over anything produced in Composite and S-Video. I've noticed this yellow tint on both of my original-model Super NESes(and they both have different motherboards) and my Super Famicom(this one has the earliest motherboard with the SPC700 on a separate daughterboard).
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Banned by Administrators

Im a little confused why you'd need to mod the ssnes to give it svideo. They make a Svideo AV cable for the snes. The cable works on GC/N64/Snes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Im a little confused why you'd need to mod the ssnes to give it svideo. They make a Svideo AV cable for the snes. The cable works on GC/N64/Snes.
    The SNES 2 doesn't output S-Video or RGB on it's own. If you put the official cables in you'll get nothing. This is because the leads that give those signals from the Encoder chip are not connected to the corresponding pins on the AV port. This mod simply connects them to allow those official cables to work.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    The SNES 2 doesn't output S-Video or RGB on it's own. If you put the official cables in you'll get nothing. This is because the leads that give those signals from the Encoder chip are not connected to the corresponding pins on the AV port. This mod simply connects them to allow those official cables to work.
    Ohh wow I didnt know that. Why in the hell would they do that. It couldnt of saved money if its that simply of a fix to do....

When I s-video modded my system there was a massive video quality difference.

I just improved the hell out of the pics to make it more clear, I have no idea why the pics disappeared but there back!

Bump as a quick update on this old mod tutorial. Went and added news pics, simpler instructions and only really needing 2x 75ohms.

MY GOD, this thread is 7 years old. How time flies...but updates are always fun!

Thread Information