Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare Circus

Megadrive Nightmare Circus

Completed but pulled from western release schedules at the eleventh hour, Nightmare Circus managed to make it to store shelves in South America thanks to Tec Toy. Given just how bad the game is, itís no wonder that it was canned. Shoddy controls, poor hit detection, and an overall lack of action make this one game that would have been better off stillborn. Our full review tells all.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

such awful controls
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Yeah this game is a mess, but with good reason - it was never actually finished! I remember reading an interview with one of the programmers a while ago and he said the game was never completed when it was cancelled. Then Tec Toy bought the Brazilian release rights to it (presumably by that point Sega didn't really care about what was being released for the Genesis in Brazil). So that game is actually incomplete. Apparently it is beatable, however there's no ending, IIRC from the interview you just get the Game Over screen when you beat it. lol

EDIT: Not Game Over screen, just credits when you beat it. Found playthrough vids of it on YT, if anyone cares.

Last edited by djshok; 08-22-2011 at 11:48 PM.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Wildside Expert EternalChampion's Avatar

This game is very bad.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

If this game played more like Splatterhouse, it probably would have been much better (also being completed would have helped too).

Another interesting thing about this game, check out this proposed North American boxart that it was supposed to get. It advertises something called "U Program Technology". I guess it's one of those things that never got finished. I wonder what it was supposed to be...

No such thing mentioned on the Brazilan cover.

Last edited by djshok; 08-23-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

too bad this game wasn't completed.
    Seems really atmospheric and creepy as hell.
    All your base are belong to us

I remember "Sega Magazin" (a german videogame magazine focussed on Sega consoles) writing a short preview of the game, along with hailing it to be an upcoming "Donkey Kong Country"-killer, due to it's use of prerendered sequences and such.

From what I've seen of the game, I have to say they fell WAY short of that goal. I agree with those who say that the game seems very unfinished. Some screens look pretty amazing - others are just dull filler that sometimes only received a new paintjob at most. It's a mess.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Who has a box for this game? I need it. I only have the cart and the manual (Thanks, Edward!).

Also, this game is fucking awful. Only Supreme Warrior is less playable in my collection.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

It really is a huge disappointment that the game is so terrible. I love late released games for my home consoles, so this game in particular saddens me. It was set for 1996 as well, two years after the Japanese Saturn release.

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

Does anyone else think we're being a little harsh on a game that was technically never finished?

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

IDK why, but I feel that if the game was worked by treasure or namco, It would it have one fucking awesome game. cause the idea of a nightmare circus game just sounds so AWESOME!
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

If I had an EPROM programmer, I'd make a copy of Nightmare Circus.

So when is djshok going to get his hands on the US prototype cover art and make a repro insert? Somebody needs to scan that big card print-out of the US cover.

It doesn't even have to be the US proto art, I could work with a scan of the Brazilian one. I was considering buying this game for like $200 but decided not to after playing it on the ol' emulator. Don't know about finding a scan of this one though given how rare it is. Oddly enough that proto art costs as much as the Brazilian version of the entire game.

The US proto art is the only way to go man, it has the sticker and everything! Just adapt the information on the back of the Tec Toy release and you'd be good to go.

Even if the game IS garbage, it's still a very cool oddity from the MD's twilight years. I wouldn't mind somebody giving it a nice little US repro release.

Thread Information