Quantcast

Thread: Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball

Meh Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball

If youíre looking for the boys of summer, keep walking friend, because theyíre not in this dugout. Any player with self respect steers clear from this game, and youíll probably find them playing World Series Baseball. Still interested? Then grab some Big League Chew and read our complete write up. Just donít say we didnít warn you. Read our full review for more details.

Wait, Mindscape being responsible for the Wing Commander-Series? True, they published the SNES-ports, but the games were still developed by Origin (Though Mindscape for some reason also has developers credit by proxy on the "Secret Missions"-port - still, the game was mostly done by Software Toolworks in conjunction with Origin systems; by that logic you'd have to say they were "responsible" for Sim City 2000, too). Not the best examples to name; around here Mindscape is mostly known for the "Chessmaster"-series of games, some early Indiana Jones-titles on home computers, the rather horrid SNES-"Terminator", and the infamous "Mad Max" on the NES. Sorry for harping on that bit, since it's only a few lines in the review, but that research was a bit sloppy (by the way, little bit of trivia, Mindscape actually shut down about two weeks ago and retreated from the gaming industry, now focussing on producing WiFi robot bunny toys). Criticizing the Mindscape logo being too big also seems a bit petty.

But the review is very entertaining to read, no doubt about that. And I totally agree that the game is pretty bad, and it seems weird for a baseball game that basically everything comes down to whether you hit a home run or not - as if simple runs didn't matter at all.

I ddn't get the board game reference, though. What kind of game is "Sorry"?
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Burr
    So, one would THINK that one of the 25 best baseball players of all time wouldnít just slap his name on whatever game came off the production line from Company A or Company B, which in this case happens to be Mindscape. Itís fairly well known for the Wing Commander series and a crappy Terminator game on SNES but really didnít put anything of any note out on the Genesis besides Paperboy 2 and Super Battleship. Subsequently, the last two are both games that I like. Make fun of me all you want, I liked Paperboy 2 a lot.
    The Mega Drive/Genesis version of 'Paperboy 2' was published by Tengen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Burr
    I press start, having no idea what button to press by the introduction, and I get a freeze frame of Cal with his autograph. Itís not as bad as David Robinsonís ďGENESISĒ...
    Both games were developed by Acme Interactive.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

I harped on the logo being so big because I happen to be one of those gamers that sits a foot from the TV most of the time, haha. I guess my research was rather sloppy, since I did just Google "Mindscape" and found a credible website. You guys know more about what they made than I do, but I can certainly tell you their games were no good, that's for sure.

I know Paperboy 2 was published by Tengen, but it was developed by Mindscape, or at least they had something to do with it. I used MobyGames and just chose a few platforms and found some notable games. Maybe I should have said something about their crappy NCAA sports series.

Phantar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorry!_%28game%29 = basically, its a game for 2-4 people where you have four pieces and draw cards to slide your pieces from the safe "start zone" to the finish zone and when you draw a "Sorry!" card you can land on your opponents space and send them back to start. It just reminded me of Sorry! in that the player freely slides left or right when you lead off.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by The Sports Guy View Post
    I know Paperboy 2 was published by Tengen, but it was developed by Mindscape, or at least they had something to do with it. I used MobyGames and just chose a few platforms and found some notable games.
    Mindscape only published the NES, SNES, Game Boy, and computer versions of the game under license from Tengen. Development was done elsewhere.

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

I respect the reviewer's point of view, of course, but I strongly disagree with this review. The majority of the complaints within strike me as being rather petty. Sure, Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball has its fair share of quirks, like every game does. And, no, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that some of its fully-licensed brethren do. Nevertheless, when it comes to fundamentals, CRJB is rock-solid, as solid as any baseball game on the Genesis. What few shortcomings it does possess are definitely not unique among the Genesis' roster of baseball games. The only real issue I have with CRJB is that beyond in-game substitutions, you can't alter line-ups or batting orders.

The game actually has many laudable qualities. Unlike the World Series games, CRJB controls well, especially for a game that requires manual fielding. Unlike the Triple Play games, the pitchers in CRJB will actually cover first base like they're supposed to. You can't pitch a no-hitter, at will, in CRJB, like you can in the World Series and RBI games, but neither is it impossible to pitch a no-hitter, as is the case with MLBPA Baseball. Neither pitching or batting is difficult in CRJB, but they both take skill to master; they aren't simply pretense disguising random outcomes, as they are in Sportstalk Baseball. Also, I've never encountered any game-crashing bugs in CRJB, like I did in Sportstalk Baseball.

CRJB is a completely decent game that deserves a great deal more than a "2".
    Last edited by Night Driver; 02-27-2014 at 04:27 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

When I bought Cal Ripken Baseball, I was just looking for a simple upgraded replacement for the old Colecovision's Super Action Baseball.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8boOI3QT6ko

I generally had fun with both games and CRB did its job. For that purpose the game was fine. It's nothing really special, just fine.
    I'd probably give it a 5 or a 6.

Thread Information