Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Buster

Default Air Buster

The Genesis has a library of shmups that's among the best of any platform. Heck, just check out our Genre Spotlight feature on every single one of them and you'll see just how much quality is there. Air Buster, a Kaneko arcade game that also saw a great release on the Turbo Grafx-16, looks and plays great on the Genesis. As it just so happens, we have a full review for it. Two-player simulataneous gameplay for the win!

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Awesome, awesome game! I love it! I just can't say enough about this game, one of the best shooters on the system.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

I too enjoyed this one. Good music, well-balanced gameplay, and just the right amount of difficulty without being overly frustrating. And I love when the first boss appears and rains lasers of brutal death upon the city. Dunno why, but that animation's always been entertaining to me.

There should be a Side by Side on the genny version and the TG16 version!

i wann get this for my sega genesis so badly it's very hard to find it now its sooooo rare man!

I love Shadow Dancer!"

Air Buster is one of my favorite h-shooters on the Genesis. I also got that game glove you had to send for.
    Last edited by JFLY; 10-02-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Has anybody else noticed that this game is not on the Master List?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith
    Has anybody else noticed that this game is not on the Master List?

I didn't noticed it, let me PM Melf about it.

Edit: The game is on the list, but as Aero Blasters.
    Last edited by ThunderForce; 10-02-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Fixed it.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daminmancejin2
    i wann get this for my sega genesis so badly it's very hard to find it now its sooooo rare man!
    You're not looking hard enough... it's not rare at all.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Quote Originally Posted by Genesisdoes
    There should be a Side by Side on the genny version and the TG16 version!
    I'd love to do one, but I don't own the Genesis version. Comparing an emulated version just wouldn't be fair to the Genesis version since emulation is never 100% correct. Gotta compare 'em on equal turf otherwise the whole article would be more or less pointless!

Wildside Expert Majestic_Lizard's Avatar

I've played both versions. The Genesis version is two player simultaneous and has no slow down. I believe the Turbo version is also 2 player, but you have to get that "turbo tap". I'm also guessing the 8-bit CPUs would slow down a bit in two player mode.

The graphics on the turbo version are a littlemore colorful but much less detailed. The Genesis version really is hard to tell from the Arcade. Just a few less frames of animation in the sprites. The sound is better on the Turbo Version. Its good on the Genesis version too, but I don't like the musical score. It makes me want to puke.

There are some missing intro screens on the Genesis version that were replaced with intro screens of a bunch of retarded looking anime people smiling and waving at you. Don't know what Kaneko was thinking with that.

The Turbo version came out a year earlier and because of that it got greater enthusiasm than its Mega Drive counterpart, what with 16-bit graphics being new and all that.

Reality is that the Turbo Version is a little bit inferior. Unlike the case of Twin Cobra, Raiden Trad, and Atomic Robo-Kid (all better on the PC Engine/ Turbo). However, Truxton, After Burner II, Super Thunder Blade and Space Harrier were better on the Mega Drive.

Have you heard of this site called eBay?
    Last edited by Majestic_Lizard; 10-13-2006 at 01:53 AM.

Super Thunder Blade was never on the PC Engine. Space Harrier was never on the Mega Drive. PC Engine had Thunder Blade. Mega Drive had Space Harrier 2. Truxton is better on the PC Engine fo sho.

Were are Black_Tiger and keranu when we need them?

Wildside Expert Majestic_Lizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    Super Thunder Blade was never on the PC Engine. Space Harrier was never on the Mega Drive. PC Engine had Thunder Blade. Mega Drive had Space Harrier 2. Truxton is better on the PC Engine fo sho.

Were are Black_Tiger and keranu when we need them?
    Did you think anyone did not know that? Super Thunder Blade and Thunder Blade are ports of the same arcade game. "Super" was just added to the Mega Drive version to distinguish it from the Master System version. Space Harrier 2 is essentially new levels for Space Harrier 1, the premise is identical. Truxton was not better on the PC Engine. I've played both versions. Its one of the rare cases where the PCE was not better.

My point was that there was "a" space harrier game on the Mega Drive superior to the one on the PC Engine and "a" Thunderblade game superior to the one on the PC Engine. Splitting semantic hairs on someone else's obviously figurative statement? Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.
    Last edited by Majestic_Lizard; 10-13-2006 at 02:10 AM.

Super Thunderblade has a similar premise and similar levels, but it is different. There are no overhead scenes except for the bosses, there are mid-bosses now, new music, etc. Whether the Genesis version is better or not I don't know because I haven't played the PCE version on real hardware.

As for Truxton, I just find the PCE version much better asthetically. Better color, MUCH better music, and it even seems a bit smoother to control. The Genesis version is much easier though, even on NORMAL.

Genesis Truxton

PC Engine Truxton

Thread Information