Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever played Star Cruiser? (FPS + SHMUP) :O

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Galaga Ever played Star Cruiser? (FPS + SHMUP) :O

Just heard of this unique game, its a shmup that takes the MD hardware to a greater level. Can't say much other than, needs a review over here.

Decent gameplay (for a wanna be 3-D game)

Great Cover Artwork

Great music

From the makers of Target earth, Gley Lancer, Langrisser II is Star Cruiser!
    for more interesting info on this game, visit the following site.

http://stevethefish.net/masaya/megad...tarcruiser.htm
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

First person shooters on the genesis fail by default. The console just isn't made for them.

Yes, I have played this before, and got stuck when I had to travel to another planet because I couldn't tell which planet. Stupid moonspeak >_< (at least that was enough for one proper battle map)

Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    First person shooters on the genesis fail by default. The console just isn't made for them.
    This one has decent framerate despite being real 3D - mainly because its engine is limited to very basic shapes and has algorithms optimized for those (this gets completely countered by its abuse of extreme dithering even using three colors sometimes...). Considering its release time, if Sega had demanded this game to be localized then everybody would have asked Nintendo where are the polygons in mode-7 =P

I have this bad boy. I haven't played it, but now I have to. Polygons on the Genny is the bees knees!!!
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Looks pretty good and sounds good as well.

I do like FPS on Genesis to a degree; they are certainly of a pre-Wolfenstein 3D standard, but can still be primitive fun. I also like to see how developers experimented with ways to get FPS running on the system.

Zero Tolerance used a small window for the action only to guarantee smooth gameplay.
    Bloodshot had like 2/3 screen, but sacrificed a bit of color I think.
    Duke Nukem 3D has a smaller action window than Bloodshot, but runs in a higher resolution and is a bit smoother. It also has some nice textures and enemies, but only if you play via RF.
    Corporation uses polygons, has a small action window and is slow and sucky.

Now this here seems to be quite a fast game seeing how it uses polygons while filling most of the screen. They should have ported the sequel Star Cruiser II: The Odysseus Project too using the SVP chip.

Master of Shinobi

Looks painful to play.

That does look pretty impressive. And that's a pretty rockin' soundtrack I'm with Olls, though; not much point playing an fps on the Genesis...

Yeah, really cool game. I wish English translation was available.
    BTW, it's not from the makers of Target earth, Gley Lancer, Langrisser II, those guys just did the MD port.
    The original dev is Arsys. Ugly pc8801 and pc9801 versions were released first, then the game was ported to x68000 (the best version IMO), and the last port was made for MD. Computer versions have more stuff like economy (you have to buy fuel, weapons and upgrades) and non-linearity (you can go anywhere you want while in MD version you can't visit a planet before you're supposed to). Also in computer versions you fight the enemies not on the map itself but teleport to a deathmatch arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    Yeah, really cool game. I wish English translation was available.
    BTW, it's not from the makers of Target earth, Gley Lancer, Langrisser II, those guys just did the MD port.
    The original dev is Arsys. Ugly pc8801 and pc9801 versions were released first, then the game was ported to x68000 (the best version IMO), and the last port was made for MD. Computer versions have more stuff like economy (you have to buy fuel, weapons and upgrades) and non-linearity (you can go anywhere you want while in MD version you can't visit a planet before you're supposed to). Also in computer versions you fight the enemies not on the map itself but teleport to a deathmatch arena.
    Figures this was a computer game; it had that look and feel to it...

Master of Shinobi

Speaking of PC to console ports of the era, you ever wonder if some of the developers stood back, took a good hard look at their creation and went "What the fuck did we just make?"

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Some may have done so. Others just did really good ports and were probably satisfied with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    This one has decent framerate despite being real 3D - mainly because its engine is limited to very basic shapes and has algorithms optimized for those (this gets completely countered by its abuse of extreme dithering even using three colors sometimes...). Considering its release time, if Sega had demanded this game to be localized then everybody would have asked Nintendo where are the polygons in mode-7 =P
    Decent conversions of Stelar 7 and the original Mech Warrior were probably similarly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars View Post

Zero Tolerance used a small window for the action only to guarantee smooth gameplay.
    Bloodshot had like 2/3 screen, but sacrificed a bit of color I think.
    Duke Nukem 3D has a smaller action window than Bloodshot, but runs in a higher resolution and is a bit smoother. It also has some nice textures and enemies, but only if you play via RF.
    Blood shot actually runs at a higher horizontal resolution for the game (ZT and Duke use double wide dithered pixels -albeit in 320 rather than 256 width), though it also cheats (like Toy Story) by mirroring the top and bottom halves of the screen (using VDP tile flipping), so only 1/2 the screen is actually being rendered. (sprites are overlaid -unlike ZT and Duke, which render "sprites" to the bitmap/tile layer).

And, I'm not sure about PAL, but for NTSC, composite video is enough to blend the dithering in ZT (and Duke), no need for RF. (albeit you do get rainbow banding -RF and composite- . . . though less if using the 32x or model 2s with the Samsung KA2195D -certainly worse for some things, especially on certain TVs, but definitely the best encoder for even horizontal blending/blur without rainbow artifacts in NTSC like the otherwise better encoders -MB3514, CXA1145, CXA1645, etc)

Corporation uses polygons, has a small action window and is slow and sucky.
    Given the limited environment, it may not be polygons, but just solid shaded ray-cast spands. (ie Wolf 3D or Zero Tolerance without textures )
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    Given the limited environment, it may not be polygons, but just solid shaded ray-cast spands. (ie Wolf 3D or Zero Tolerance without textures )
    Considering how the "fog" behaves, I'm 100% positive it's polygon-based, especially since raycasting wasn't anywhere as popular back then (which is why all 3D shooters back in the day tried to use real 3D graphics).

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bastardcat View Post
    Speaking of PC to console ports of the era, you ever wonder if some of the developers stood back, took a good hard look at their creation and went "What the fuck did we just make?"
    It depends, some developers made good use of the console hardware.
    Now the reverse... Now that's horrible (unless we're talking Sharp X68000 ports). But really, they weren't even given the sprites/backgrounds sometimes, how are you supposed to do a good port without those?
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Considering how the "fog" behaves, I'm 100% positive it's polygon-based, especially since raycasting wasn't anywhere as popular back then (which is why all 3D shooters back in the day tried to use real 3D graphics).
    Huh, weird, I thought ray-casting engines went back into the mid/late 80s at least. Midi Maze certainly doesn't look like polygons. (plus Corporation on ST/Amiga was released in 1990, not all that long before Camak had his first Catacomb 3D game out -it would seem rather odd that the first major example of ray-casting alreadyused textures rather than shaded spans)

Hell, if not ray-casting, there were other forms of pseudo-3D used far earlier . . . there's the basic 2D corridoors with right angle turns of various maze/dungeon crawlers (including Tunnel Runner on the VCS), and more notably you've got the fractal engine games on the A8/C64/etc (Rescue on Fractalus!, Kronos Rift, The Eidolon, etc); The Eidolon is probably closest to FPS-ish stuff is concerned. (I wonder why fractal engines didn't proliferate more prior to more advanced 3D/pseudo 3D methods becoming common)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    It depends, some developers made good use of the console hardware.
    Now the reverse... Now that's horrible (unless we're talking Sharp X68000 ports). But really, they weren't even given the sprites/backgrounds sometimes, how are you supposed to do a good port without those?
    It depends what period we're talking . . . and what machine is being targeted. Amiga/MD ports (to or from) have some issues, but aren't too bad either way . . . porting MD to ST is another issue though, or older/weaker PCs (especially EGA). Once you got to 386s (or sometimes fast 16/20 MHz 286s) and VGA cards (using 16-bit ISA at the very least), you'd have a decent amount of software rendering resource and color capabilities. (VGA's 8-bit packed pixels giving both 256 colors and efficient software blitting due to pixels being defined as bytes)

With the exception of the very early period in the MD's life (ie up to 1990), VGA was pretty much the standard for up-to-date PC games. (and in the mid/late period of the Genesis's life, games demanding fast 386 as the bare minimum started to become common with a few high-end games -like Wing Commander 3 and Tie Fighter- with mid-speed 486 as the suggested minimum requirement -and commonly 486+SVGA minimum by the tail end of its mainstream life ~95/96, not to get into the post-mainstream/budget market period of the MD/SNES)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Thread Information