Quantcast

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: PS2 vs Game Cube graphics?

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Gcn PS2 vs Game Cube graphics?

Are there any significant differences between the graphics on the PS2 vs GC? I own both but I've never had a chance to compare because I never tried the same game on both systems. I'm inclined to think that the PS2 can put out better graphics, but is that just hearsay?
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Master of Shinobi

Gamecube has the better graphics hardware. Its visuals are about on par with the Xbox.
    In fact, PS2 ports of Gamecube games like the infamous RE4 port, do look downgraded.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I consider Resident Evil 4 to be fairly representative of the differences in PS2 and Gamecube graphics. Typically the PS2 has the worst texture maps of that generation. Dreamcast and Gamecube are roughly second place to the Xbox in texture mapping quality and effects.

Don't forget all the special effects Gamecube can do more easily than the PS2. You can again see that in RE4 comparions. Water is one thing Gamecube especially does well. In fact I think there might be some effects that even the Dreamcast can do better than the PS2 if I remember correctly.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

The Gamecube definitely has the better graphics. There is just no denying that. I think that Resident Evil 4 is indeed a good example. The PS2-version does come fairly close, and the PS2-scenes in the comparison vids above are worse than it looks in reality (it does look sharper than that, probably bad cables or something) but there is definitely a noteable difference. The textures are a level below the ones on GCN, and for example in caves with torches on the wall you will see fewer torches (=fewer real-time lighting effects) on PS2.

Hereīs a nice example: On the left GCN, right PS2. For one you see that the textures are a bit crisper on GCN, but more importantly, the gunfire and explosion lights Leon and the surroundings; on PS2 only the explosion has a lighting effect, and it is not as good as on PS2.

Or here, you can see how the flashlight on Leonīs belt lights the area on Gamecube. On PS2, it does not really emit any light, itīs just decoration.

Overall you can really say that the GCN is better than the PS2, but worse than Xbox.
    D
    reamcast < PS2 < Gamecube < Xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Don't forget all the special effects Gamecube can do more easily than the PS2. You can again see that in RE4 comparions. Water is one thing Gamecube especially does well. In fact I think there might be some effects that even the Dreamcast can do better than the PS2 if I remember correctly.
    Actually, I think it is more a matter of the Gamecube doing the water effects while doing many other things at the same time. If itīs water effects only, the PS2 was also praised a lot.

Splashdown set a new standard in water effects back then.

Baldurīs Gaate: Dark Alliance was praised for such effects as well.

I was thinking more along the lines of the water effects we see in Gamecube PSO that are not present in any other version of the game, even the PC versions.

Canīt comment on that, never played PSO after testing the Dreamcast original for an hour or so. :P

When I finally bought PSO to play i Offline mode a few months back I was ssurprised to find out that even the Single player mode requires being online on Xbox!

Master of Shinobi

Gamecube had very impressive graphics hardware. Go look at Rogue Leader. Its 2011 and the game still looks beautiful! Thats what drove me nuts with so many developers this gen. The Wii can do even better than the Gamecube, but most developers were intent on settling for PS2 level graphics. There are far too few games that push what the system can do.
    I find it ironic that Capcom has released some of the best and worst looking games for the system.
    Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles almost looks like a ps3 or 360 game. Its a royal shame that Cavia is no more. They knew how to make really nice looking Wii games.
    Dead Rising: Chop till you Drop looks like it belongs on the Dreamcast. Its Zombie Revenge ugly. Tose needs to die in a fire.
    Last edited by Bastardcat; 09-28-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Sega is also a company that knows how to make good looking Wii games. NiGHTS and Sonic Colors look almost like early 360 titles.

I always thought that the Gamecube had some really great graphics, while the PS2 felt kind of lame with most of the graphics in its games. I mean, look at what a polygon pusher Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader is on Gamecube. The Mario Party and Sports games I always thought looked really, really nice as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

I still find it odd when people get the misconception that Nintendo had the weaker hardware during that generation. I guess that was a marketing problem for Nintendo back then...

Looking at the hardware the GC had more raw power, almost comparable to the XBOX. The games really shined with multiple vibrant effects. If you ask about some of the best looking games of that generation, a disproportionate amount of them came from the Gamecube. RE0, REmake, RE4, Rogue Leader, Metroid Prime 1& 2, Wind Waker, F-Zero... Look at the "average" PS2 games. They often looked washed out, with hard polygonal edges. You won't find too many of those on the GC.
    Last edited by Televator; 09-28-2011 at 04:11 PM.

One thing that pissed me off about Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube was that it was letterboxed in a shitty 4:3 image area. The PS2 version was true 16:9 and as a result that means the game has a higher vertical resolution than the GC version. There was no excuse for the GC version to be like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Televator View Post
    Looking at the hardware the GC had more raw power, almost comparable to the 360.
    What?

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Cool, good to know. Thanks for all the replies.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Shouldn't this be in Insert Coin? Anyhoos, I thought it was pretty well known the PS2 was the weaker of the bunch during that generation.

Thread Information