Quantcast

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: PS2 vs Game Cube graphics?

Well, your data is showing that numbers are higher in racing games. So would try measures there.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Don´t let Wii die!!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by segarule View Post
    Well, your data is showing that numbers are higher in racing games. So would try measures there.
    yes, but not in this sense, for example among games analyzed You can see that the open world produces fewer polygons than linear games (this obviously includes racing games) fighting (and other) games that are highly textured games also produce low polygonal count.
    . Games like Buffy, Blood Omen 2, and knights of Temple caught my attention because they consist of rooms and each room has a low poly.
    . Ragdoll games or similar also produce low polygonal count.
    . It's not conclusive, after all I only tested the early stages of each game, but there seems to be a generational limit of 9kk, at least that's what my numbers point out.
    . Finally, some sequels of some games like SSX had reduced counts on SSX3, Starfox, Metroid, this seems to indicate that the improvements made in lighting or even the scope of the game itself had an impact on polygonal counting.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

Gamecube definitely has the leg up in this one. Even with a nice pair of YPbPr cables, the PS2 only gets so sharp. Most games max at 480i.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Playstation Salvation? HD Retrovision PS2/PS3 Component Cable

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

I feel that the progressive scan is overrated, in many situations the ps2 version is sharper at 480i than its competitors at 480p, Tony Hawk Underground the ps2 has been jagged, but the image is sharp, the other consoles seem to use filters and AA that causes a blurry look, in fact AA blurs the games, to this day it is so. Tekken TaG Tournament stands well in sharpness compared to any sixth generation game, and it is a 480i game, since at the time the progressive scan function did not was still available on PS2. I prefer a crisp look.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The 1sr time I moved from a 480i SD CRT to a 480p CRT, I was floored by all of the details I couldn’t see in Forza Motorsport, like the light of the sun putting a shine on the pavement, or the shine of the paint on the cars. I didn’t want to play 480i ever again, unless it was on the older consoles.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    I feel that the progressive scan is overrated, in many situations the ps2 version is sharper at 480i than its competitors at 480p, Tony Hawk Underground the ps2 has been jagged, but the image is sharp, the other consoles seem to use filters and AA that causes a blurry look, in fact AA blurs the games, to this day it is so. Tekken TaG Tournament stands well in sharpness compared to any sixth generation game, and it is a 480i game, since at the time the progressive scan function did not was still available on PS2. I prefer a crisp look.
    That definitely depends on what you're playing on (display), and what equipment you're using to get the signal to the display (if LCD). 480i games look pretty decent if they're routed through my RetroTINK 2X before hitting my scaler. Since it doesn't have 480p passthrough though, I would be out 480p+ content on the PS2 if I did that.

I prefer a progressive picture on anything but a CRT. N64 games with 480i modes, I will often switch down to 240p and take a lower resolution with sharper pixels. Just my preference, though.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Playstation Salvation? HD Retrovision PS2/PS3 Component Cable

Thread Information