Quantcast

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Sega Dying?

16-bit years? Sega from the DC to early Xbox years is dying/dead. Do you think that Sega was only creative or on top of its creative game production during the 16-bit years?

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Let's be honest with ourselves, the SEGA from the 16-bit years is dead and gone.
    Amen.
    All they do nowadays is make new games that have no unique flair to themselves or rape their own franchises, like with the newer Sonic and Shinobi games.
    The last big and revolutionary thing Sega did was Shenmue.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

While Sega's been doing poorly since the death of DC, it seems like they really hit rock bottom last year. This year has been mildly better.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicman
    That "Blog guy" is Steven Kent, a well known videogame historian and commentator and not some worthless blogger, that's why I included his recent comments on Sega.
    He's also the author of "The Ultimate History of Video Games," which every gamer owes it to himself to read. An incredible book and a wonderful resource.

Oh yeah, did I mention that Sega-16 interviewed him earlier this year?

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vicman
    16-bit years? Sega from the DC to early Xbox years is dying/dead. Do you think that Sega was only creative or on top of its creative game production during the 16-bit years?
    While i do enjoy the Saturn and the Dreamcast, i do beieve that SEGA hit thier highest point in the 16-bit years. They hit a plateau, they weren't any less creative post-Genesis but they never seemed to surpass the point they hit years before.

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars
    Amen.
    All they do nowadays is make new games that have no unique flair to themselves or rape their own franchises, like with the newer Sonic and Shinobi games.
    I liked "Outrun 2". I liked it enough to take the plunge and buy an XBOX. And i like "Coast 2 Coast" but i feel that title lacked the extra special "SEGA Touch".

Mostly i'm pissed because they didnt put "Turbo Outrun" on the disc when the game was clearly taking elements from it.

Raging in the Streets

I honestly believe the only difference between 16-bit Sega and current-gen Sega is the fact that games with their logo on are multiplatform. How has 'the magic gone'?

edit: ^ There you go. What is the 'Sega touch', and how can you tell it's missing from current games? Did people still see the 'Sega touch' during the DC's era?

108 Stars: Have you played Yakuza? It's similar to Shenmue, but with a tastefully-applied darker touch; sort of the best aspects of the GTA series with the best of Shenmue. Problem is the power went out while my PS2s memory card was saving ... back to the beginning for me

Let's Make A Soccer Team! is also pretty fun, but when people see that next to FIFA 07 you can guess what happens. EA WINS AGAIN (and also they put a nail in the DC's coffin so aaaaargh)
    Last edited by Elusive; 10-17-2006 at 04:09 PM.

108 Stars: Have you played Yakuza? It's similar to Shenmue, but with a tastefully-applied darker touch; sort of the best aspects of the GTA series with the best of Shenmue. Problem is the power went out while my PS2s memory card was saving ... back to the beginning for me
    But quite a few years have passed since Shenmue, Yakuza isn´t even half as spectacular among today´s games as Shenmue was. Today noone is really impressed by a game like that, especially since Yakuza really doesn´t show us anything new.
    What Sega did in the old days was to impress players with something that had not been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive
    I honestly believe the only difference between 16-bit Sega and current-gen Sega is the fact that games with their logo on are multiplatform. How has 'the magic gone'?
    I tend to feel they have lost focus. I also feel they haven't a clue as to what to do with thier older games.

What Sega did in the old days was to impress players with something that had not been done before.
    This i will agree with completly.

Going multi-platform really feels like Sega is taking a more straight path instead of really pushing boundaries.

Granted they really can't afford to do such things anymore, but that is the "magic" that is gone.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Amen.
    That was so beautifully put.

All games companies are doing it though. I cannot think of any games since the Dreamcast died that haven't been rip-offs of other games currently on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Blood Will Tell, & Yakuza. Those are the only internally developed Sega games since the DC died that IMO have been worthy of Sega's past. That's 4 games in 4-5 years...

All games companies are doing it though. I cannot think of any games since the Dreamcast died that haven't been rip-offs of other games currently on the market.
    Well, it was just a sequel, but I was impressed by MGS 2, because of the never before seen interaction with the interior. After that, I can recall nothing, just improving graphics, no revolution.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by dark & long
    I tend to feel they have lost focus. I also feel they haven't a clue as to what to do with thier older games.
    You mean rerelease compilations to a new, wider Gamecube-Xbox-Xbox360-PS2-PSP-Wii-GBA-DS-and-possibly-PS3 audience than the Mega-Drive-or-SNES 1993 market? Release improved versions as 2500Y SEGAAGES titles? Base new titles on them (Sonic2k6, OR2:C2C, After Burner Climax etc)?

My point is, what can they do with their older games that hasn't been done already?

edit: ^^^ I want to know at which point Hideo Kojima just got flustered and annoyed with the MGS2 plot, ritually burnt all his files in the corridor outside his office, hired a mariachi band to play over the Konami HQ tannoy system all day, and came up with as much tinfoil-hat insanity as posible to confuse the hell out of the baka gaijins.
    Last edited by Elusive; 10-18-2006 at 03:41 PM.

My point is, what can they do with their older games that hasn't been done already?
    They should focus more on quality again. The 3D Sonic-games kinda suck; Shinobi in 3D sucks; the Sega Ages titles are low-quality products...

I´d suggest they put quality over quantity again.

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive
    You mean rerelease compilations to a new, wider Gamecube-Xbox-Xbox360-PS2-PSP-Wii-GBA-DS-and-possibly-PS3 audience than the Mega-Drive-or-SNES 1993 market? Release improved versions as 2500Y SEGAAGES titles? Base new titles on them (Sonic2k6, OR2:C2C, After Burner Climax etc)?

Well 108 Stars really said it best.

But what i meant by my "not knowing what to do" comment was more about them not knowing what to do with the majority of thier as yet untapped games from years gone by. There is so much potential in releasing many of the games that Sega has made over the years and yet all we pretty much get are passable 3D Sonic games, Sonic collections, and questionable (gameplay) quality SEGA AGES updates.

Two decades worth of arcade games that can finally be given arcade perfect ports and all we end up getting more Sonic.

I realize it's safe and it will bring in the $$, but its frustrating knowing there is untapped potential that Sega doesn't even want to bother with.

That line that nothing creative comes out anymore is what it is, pure bullshit. If anyone really thinks that they aren't paying attention. It's a tired ass line that jaded retro-gamers use to justify obsessing about the past while ignoring that there were tons of unoriginal cookie cutter games back then too. Nostalgic bias is a plague.

Just off the top of my head here are original games (in one way or another) from the current generation that I own or have played:

Katamari Damacy
    LocoRoco
    Ico
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Okami
    Psychonauts
    Blinx
    Fable
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Darkwatch
    GTA III (creating sandbox games in full 3D)
    Halo series (made console FPS viable)
    Oddworld: Strangers Wrath
    Otogi 1 & 2
    Phantom Dust
    SW: KOTOR
    Stubbs The Zombie
    Blood Will Tell
    Disgaea
    Devil May Cry 1 & 3
    ninja Gaiden Black
    MGS 2 & 3
    Ratchet & Clank series
    Spy Cooper series
    Shadow Hearts series
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Zone of The Enders 1 & 2
    Freedom Fighters
    GUN (old west sandbox game)
    Indigo Prophecy
    Mercenaries
    Metroid Prime
    Viewtiful Joe
    Eternal Darkness
    Trama Center

...and I know there're a bunch more games with original or creative aspects/concepts that I haven't even played yet. No original games my ass.

Thread Information