Quantcast

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Genesis games that had a definitive version on Sega CD

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

But seriously the CD version was awful, no point in waiting for loading times to play the game. I also did it last week when playing final fight CD
    The loads times weren't that bad and imo NHL 94 was much better than the cart. The new sound effects and music really added to the game imo
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

As Barone already noted, Earnest Evans should be on the list, as the CD music and cutscenes definitely add to the experience. (Gameplay differences are very minimal.)

From what I understand, the Sega CD version of Power Monger is much improved.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

Isn't Power Monger completely different graphical-wise from one version to another?

Here's some valuable info regarding the Prince of Persia ports:
    I tried this in all versions that I have.
    - I assumed that different country/language versions on the same platform behave identically.
    - I tried to jump both from left to right and from right to left. (Unless there is not enough space on the right, for example on the ZX Spectrum or the SEGA Master System.)
    - Some versions allow a two-tile running jump without turning.
    Here are the results:

Those that pass the test:
    Apple II: both direction
    DOS: both direction
    ATM Turbo: both direction
    X68000: both direction
    Amiga: both direction
    SNES: both direction
    Commodore 64: both direction
    SEGA MegaCD: both direction
    Atari ST: both direction
    Macintosh: both direction

Those that fail the test:
    GameBoy: can do this from left to right only; can do in both directions if starts from the wall
    GameBoy Color: can do this from left to right only; can do in both directions if starts from the wall (= GB)
    Amstrad CPC: left to right; can do in both directions if starts from the wall
    Enterprise 128: left to right; can do in both directions if starts from the wall (= Amstrad CPC)
    SEGA Genesis: bumps into wall; can do in both directions if starts from the wall
    NES: can do this from right to left only
    PC98: can't, falls; must climb down and up (I thought this version is based on X68000, or vice versa)
    Sam Coupé: can't step to the edge; bumps into wall
    ZX Spectrum: bumps into wall
    SEGA Master System: can't, falls
    BK-0011M: can't
    http://forum.princed.org/viewtopic.php?t=1660

I've said a lot of crap before about the Sega CD version but, aside from the intro thing which is really a hack job, I was completely wrong about it.
    The Sega CD version carries the derivations of the original source code; while the Mega Drive version was written from scratch (and that's a baaaad thing).

For me the Mega CD ports that improve on their Mega Drive counterparts are:

Mortal Kombat
    Batman Returns
    Earthworm Jim
    Ecco the Dolphin (the same most likely applies to Ecco 2: The Tides of Time but since I've not played it I can't comment)
    Jurassic Park (Okay so it was a completely different game but I do prefer the very technically impressive point and click adventure on the Mega CD to the obviously rushed bog standard platforming fare we got on the Mega Drive)
    FIFA International Soccer
    The Terminator
    The Amazing Spider-Man vs The Kingpin (although I truly do love the Mega Drive game to bits too)

I can see why some have said Eternal Champions but just to be picky I think Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Dark Side on the Mega CD is actually more of a sequel to the Mega Drive game rather than a straight port of it.
    Last edited by Mega Drive Bowlsey; 12-29-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Isn't Power Monger completely different graphical-wise from one version to another?
    That's my understanding, but Benjamin can speak to that better than I can. IIRC he was pretty unequivocal that the CD version was the better of the two, and my impression was that they weren't so different as to be considered different games.

I once rented the CD version of Mortal Kombat. It drove me nuts. I have doubts about whether whoever designed that game, or at least the CD port of it, was paying attention to what they were doing.
    It seemed like you spend about 30 seconds playing for every 2 minutes looking at repetitive presentation hoopla and waiting for things to load. After every fight, you get kicked out of the game and have to load another screen, only to reload the fight again and wait to be told you can actually resume playing.
    That rental was a waste of $4.
    I played the Genesis cartridge version on a couple occasions and found it much more tolerable. I hated the CD version, I didn't see anything that it added to the game, just tiresome unnecessary load delays that made me want to turn it off.
    However, I'm someone who never cared much for any version of MK, so I'm probably not the best to judge which would be the best for somebody who enjoys it and is more familiar with the game's details.

I liked NHL '94 CD. It's been a long time since I played either version, but I remember liking the CD version better overall.
    I remember the load times being noticeable but I don't remember them bothering me much. Unlike a fighting game like Mortal Kombat, when you load the "level" in NHL, you actually stay there and play for the whole period before you'll ever need to load anything again.
    I liked the variety of organ music that was added, and the fact that it had some famous jingles that were unique for some stadiums.

Something kinda related to this thread that I want to share.
    The Genesis version of Sol-Feace, called Sol-Deace, in fact seems to be a later revision of the Sega CD game.

Here we can see that some sprite priority issues were fixed for the cartridge release (see the base of the boss at the bottom right corner of the screen):

This is the same kind of graphical fix that Sega CD's version of Shadow of the Beast II has over the earlier FM Towns release of the same game.

Attachment 13540

I can't see your pic at the moment, but I 100% believe it. There are massive sprite dropout issues that make a big portion of Sol-Feace much harder than it's supposed to be, especially Stage 5.

I remember StarMist (I think) being surprised at my complaints based on his experiences with Sol-Deace, and I think the conclusion was reached that it's as you say: Sol-Deace, then, cleaned up more than just the spelling of "BROW OUT".

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I remember StarMist (I think)
    I think these are some of the quotes you're referring to:
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    goldenband was alluding to playing it on Hard/Advanced.
    What's also missing from Sol Deace is half the slowdown and flicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Yes indeed. The continue-point difference makes Sol-Deace about ten times easier to complete (on Hard/Mania) vs. Sol-Feace. I blew through Sol-Deace in under two hours -- Normal and Hard, one right after the other -- whereas it took me nearly 20 hours to finish Sol-Feace on Mania.

I need to have another look at that (though I'm sure you're correct). It's interesting that I'm not bothered at all by the slowdown and flicker in Granada, but there it doesn't hamper gameplay, really.

The fact is that - unlike the laymen usually say - Sol-Feace pushes the Mega Drive's VDP quite a bit in terms of sprites usage. Wolfteam had pretty advanced sprite engines by early 90s standards and they made extensive use of sprite articulation in their games.
    Sol-Feace seems to have been ported on a rush from the X68000 to Mega CD's release in Japan and, on top of that, the game was designed for the X68000 and its sprite-related specs are, for the most part, far superior to the Mega Drive's; especially regarding the details which lead to on-screen flickering.

But I like that Wolfteam didn't take the shortcut of simply reducing the number of enemies on screen and/or the articulation of the enemies; no, pretty much all the craziness of the original game was retained. Then they polished it further for the Genesis version.

Thread Information