Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic CD and it's unbearable lags.

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

Sonic Sonic CD and it's unbearable lags.

Hi there,

Can someone discuss this topic with me?
    Situation:
    I'm using lr-genesis-plus-gx (RetroPie) on RaspberryPi3 to play Sega CD games.
    The thing is, Sonic CD lags a lot.
    I tried also Picodrive and other BIOS'es, but the result is the same - shuttering and lagging.
    I thought that there's something wrong with my Pi setup.

I started the game on PC in Kega Fusion and the result was similar.

Is Sonic CD really frustratingly laggy or I'm missing something out?

Thanks!

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

I wouldn't call it lag, but the controls of Sonic CD isn't as tight as the Genesis titles. It's a little more stiff like the 8 bit games. Try one of the Whitehead ports of Sonic CD (on PS3 or Android or whatever) and see if you like it better, the controls are slightly better IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Hero of Algol

Sonic CD has a lot of slowdown, dumb color choices, messy level design and overdose of parallax.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

play it on a sega cd. I never noticed any lag at all.

I haven't played the game in ages but from my memory..all levels are kind of the same after the second level. The game in a way has some very charming appealing (a CD support, time traveling, catchy music, a somehow spindash)..but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Sonic CD has a lot of slowdown, dumb color choices, messy level design and overdose of parallax.
    Sonic CD always felt like a proof of concept of the original game Sega just shuttled to the Sega CD to have an exclusive Sonic game to help sell the hardware. Were it not for the amazing soundtracks and great FMV scenes, it would have been easily forgotten.

Raging in the Streets

Try it on RetroArch on PC, if it plays like shit then it's the game. Genesis Plus GX is a fantastic emulator.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

I wonder why so many people enjoy and love Sonic CD while there are always a few vocal people who insist it is a bad game.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

A lot of people seem to like the exploration aspects and the music and such.

Personally if I want to play a platformer with exploration I'll play one that's more fun and has better reasons to explore.

I appreciate it as the weird alternate reality Sonic 2 that it is but I'm always puzzled when people say it's the best classic Sonic game. I can only assume it's because they don't like how classic Sonic plays much to begin with which is fine.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Sonic CD always felt like a proof of concept of the original game Sega just shuttled to the Sega CD to have an exclusive Sonic game to help sell the hardware. Were it not for the amazing soundtracks and great FMV scenes, it would have been easily forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    A lot of people seem to like the exploration aspects and the music and such.
    Personally if I want to play a platformer with exploration I'll play one that's more fun and has better reasons to explore.
    I appreciate it as the weird alternate reality Sonic 2 that it is but I'm always puzzled when people say it's the best classic Sonic game. I can only assume it's because they don't like how classic Sonic plays much to begin with which is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    I wonder why so many people enjoy and love Sonic CD while there are always a few vocal people who insist it is a bad game.
    To be very honest and straightforward: if you have a decent understanding of level design, gameplay pacing, enemy placement, etc.; you simply can't praise Sonic CD that much and you'll realize that compare it to Sonic 1, 2 and 3 is quite a stretch.

It's also not surprising that a lot of Sonic 1 hacks end up feeling like Sonic CD after someone who has little to no experience with level design just want to throw a lot of stuff into it.
    There's also a cheapness to the way they tried to put the physics engine to test in some of the Sonic CD levels; it's like when you'd naively edit and exaggerate cars' properties in older PC racing games and expect to get a new better game out of it.

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

Is this normal? (turn on 60fps in YT)
    I recorded this footage from my PC & Kega
    But situation is the same on RaspberryPi3-Retropie-Genesis Plus GX.

Slowdowns are there in every stage from time to time, but this particular Boss fight is frustratingly laggy and slow. 1/4 of time even key presses are not being registered.
    I don't have or had Sega CD, but also I don't remember such slowdowns years before when I played it on emulators.

Raging in the Streets

Looks like regular old Sonic CD to me.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Peeteris View Post
    Slowdowns are there in every stage from time to time, but this particular Boss fight is frustratingly laggy and slow. 1/4 of time even key presses are not being registered.
    I don't have or had Sega CD, but also I don't remember such slowdowns years before when I played it on emulators.
    I think it's mostly due to the game itself, but if you still feel it's the emulator I think it's worth trying this one (especially on your RaspberryPi3):
    http://segaretro.org/Gens/GS

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

What point of the video should be focused on? It seems pretty consistent throughout(and that is some pretty awful level design shown in that video).

I have a Pi too(need a sturdier way to game than a PC with unpredictable shutdown issues). Are you using an emulation OS, or emulators on a desktop OS. From my experience, it doesn't handle a desktop and slightly resource heavy software at the same time very well.

If it's a RetroArch based OS(most of the gaming ones are), the "options" section of the menu usually has console specific options(3 or 6 buttons for Genesis, palettes for NES, etc.). There could be something to help speed Sega CD up/smooth it over.

What are you all talking about? Sonic CD is the best 2D Sonic. I played it on Sega CD and it does have a little slowdown like the Genesis Sonics, but it's miniscule.

Also, that video doesn't have a 60fps option.

Thread Information