Quantcast

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis games that had a definitive version on Sega CD

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    1st thing it controls like a dream on the MD, but the Mega CD version features PCM sound effects (with a wicked effect for hitting the post) and real crowd chats and singing recorded from a actual League Football game . Even after all these years, its still the best football game ever made imo.
    It looks and sounds great, superior to the cartridge version...
    It's the best in the "arcade" style, 'cause ISSS Deluxe is a lot more realistic than this one (tactics, dribbles, strategy...) , has much better graphics and in-game narration.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    It looks and sounds great, superior to the cartridge version...
    It's the best in the "arcade" style, 'cause ISSS Deluxe is a lot more realistic than this one (tactics, dribbles, strategy...) , has much better graphics and in-game narration.
    Sensi doesn't need fancy GFX. What Sensi offers is the most perfect control and header system seen in any Football game ever made. Sure it's not 100% realistic, but it's so much fun and still the best football game to date imo.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thanks for the info, guys, this is actually REALLY useful to me right now as I try to fill out my SCD collection...

"Does your God know fear?"

Hero of Algol

Sensi doesn't need fancy GFX. What Sensi offers is the most perfect control and header system seen in any Football game ever made. Sure it's not 100% realistic, but it's so much fun and still the best football game to date imo.
    I wasn't talking about "fancy GFX" exactly. ISSS Deluxe gives you adult-like players like no other 16-bit soccer game (maybe Super Sidekicks but it looks dumb), with a very good design and realistic animation (movements seem real)... The uniforms resembles the ones from the 1994 World Cup pretty well.
    Also the transition from defense to attack is more like in a real game.
    But, again, Sensible Soccer is great for being a totally arcade pickup-and-play soccer game. They are totally different soccer games. It's something like comparing Daytona USA to the Nascar games (FIFA would be a closer comparison, but ISSS is 100x better than FIFA)...
    Last edited by Barone; 10-10-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

1st thing it controls like a dream on the MD, but the Mega CD version features PCM sound effects (with a wicked effect for hitting the post) and real crowd chats and singing recorded from a actual League Football game . Even after all these years, its still the best football game ever made imo
    Agreed 100%
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

Hero of Algol

Wait... Just European National Teams? That's bad... At least Mega Drive has an "International Edition".
    A soccer game without Brazil's National Team makes no sense at all. It's like a Basketball game without USA.
    Last edited by Barone; 10-10-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Flashback is way better on cartridge. The rotoscoped cutscene animations of the cart look much better than the ugly prerendered CG stuff that replaced most of it on the SCD version.

One of my all time favs.... <3

If parts of compilations are allowed I'm going to say Golden Axe on the Sega Classics. The arcade music goes great with the game even if there were no real additions to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    Flashback is way better on cartridge. The rotoscoped cutscene animations of the cart look much better than the ugly prerendered CG stuff that replaced most of it on the SCD version.

One of my all time favs.... <3
    I'll have to give that version a shot, I tried the Sega CD version, but didn't see what all the fuss was about.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    I'll have to give that version a shot, I tried the Sega CD version, but didn't see what all the fuss was about.
    I agree the Cart versions just seems to play and feel better . After the amazing job their did with Another World on the Mega CD, with stunning audio that added so much to the game and it's atmosphere. Flashback on the Mega CD was a disappointment
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

What about the compilation games? (4in1 and 5in1) Which ones are different / better than their carts? IIRC People have said Streets of Rage sounds slightly better on the CD compilation...

Also IIRC Columns is not only on the compilations, but also Columns on CD by itself with an FMV. Haven't played that one...

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    I'll declare I prefer the G version of Spiderman to the CD. After reading Melf's double take on the CD version I was rather pepped for it...And found it tedious to trot about the map--it was too formless--particularly as the 'music' was a wreck of bad electric guitar.
    I also dislike the added weapon to EWJ along with finding the level mediocre and somewhat grinding.
    The Eccos do benefit from the clearer audio.
    sssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAVE THE SIT-----TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAVE IT FROM THE EDGE OF DESTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliffhanger is better with that Snowboarding level which I have never EVER beaten.

Flashback absolutely better.

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    sssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAVE THE SIT-----TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAVE IT FROM THE EDGE OF DESTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliffhanger is better with that Snowboarding level which I have never EVER beaten.

Flashback absolutely better.
    Spiderman was much better on the Mega Drive . Spiderman on the Mega CD had too many levels which added nothing to the game , felt disjointed and lack some nice touches of the Mega Drive version like taking photo's . Cliffhanger onthe Mega CD was much better due to the Snowboarding, but also thanks to the film soundtrack, the FMV intro and better soundeffects over the Mega Drive version.

Which ones are different / better than their carts? IIRC People have said Streets of Rage sounds slightly better on the CD compilation
    I hate the new speech in Revenge, Streets of Rage, GP tbh - I like the cart version more, Columns and Goldex Axe were improved thanks to the music, but for some unknown reason the 2 player mode for Golden Axe was taken out.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Wildside Expert Majestic_Lizard's Avatar

Shadow of the Beast 2 is significantly better than the Genesis cartridge and comes VERY close to the FM Towns version. The graphics are more detailed and the sound is quite a bit better than the cartridge. The cut scenes are worse than the Amiga and FM Towns, but the in-game graphics are actually better than the Amiga version.

Spiderman on the Sega CD has greatly improved backgrounds and character sprites, but the FMV is dumb and it the gameplay is confusing. It seems you wander around from level to level with no clear objectives and eventually police shoot you to death.
    Last edited by Majestic_Lizard; 11-21-2011 at 06:43 PM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Spiderman on Sega CD rules, yes including the title song. If I didn't know any better I'd call it the original sandbox game, but it was one of the earlier ones that I really liked back in the day and today.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Thread Information