Quantcast

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis games that had a definitive version on Sega CD

Default Genesis games that had a definitive version on Sega CD

So I would say that the two Ecco games and Earthworm Jim 1 are better on Sega CD than on Genesis - mostly because of the CD-quality background tracks. What other Genesis games were best on Sega CD, or do you prefer the Genesis versions of those three?

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

I'll declare I prefer the G version of Spiderman to the CD. After reading Melf's double take on the CD version I was rather pepped for it...And found it tedious to trot about the map--it was too formless--particularly as the 'music' was a wreck of bad electric guitar.
    I also dislike the added weapon to EWJ along with finding the level mediocre and somewhat grinding.
    The Eccos do benefit from the clearer audio.

01. The Terminator - Although I like the Genny version, the SCD version pisses all over it with a game that is about 4 times as long, nicer to look at, and much more pleasing to the ears.

02. Hook - The game is practically the same as the Genny version with terribly short (and ugly) cinematics at the begining and end of the game, but what makes this the definative version for me is the John Williams score.

03. Batman Returns - I'm actually not a fan of either version of this game, but I would definately prefer to play it with the driving levels rather than without.

Hero of Algol

I prefer those three in the Sega CD, yes.

"What other Genesis games were best on Sega CD?"
    Batman Returns: 'Cause I can turn off the Genesis part and play just the racing game.
    Bloodshot: This version has in-game music and the textures are not corrupted.
    Brutal: Paws of Fury: Additional bullshit... This version is less bad.
    Chuck Rock: Better soundtrack + extras...
    Chuck Rock II: Better soundtrack + extras...
    Demolition Man: Little extras... I don't know. If you like the FMV scenes, it's better. Otherwise, I'd take the cartridge version 'cause I prefer its soundtrack. lol
    Ernest Evans: For the cutscenes...
    Eternal Champions: Vastly enhanced.
    F1 Circus CD: A different game, much worse.
    Flashback: The Quest for Identity: Has in-game soundtrack and CG cutscenes.
    Flink: The CD soundtrack saves you from the painful cartridge synth...
    Heart of the Alien: 2-in-1. Definitive version.
    Hook: Just for the CD soundtrack.
    Jurassic Park: Different game. I hate this one, but if love point-and-click games you can enjoy it. No mouse support, shit!
    The Lawnmower Man: Different game and baaaad. Avoid.
    Lethal Enforcers: The CD version gives you a decent soudtrack and better voices. The Cartridge version makes my ears bleed. Also, the PS1 version, said arcade perfect, is so damn hard that it's almost impossible in single player. Get this one.
    Lethal Enforcers II: The CD version gives you a decent soudtrack and better voices. The Cartridge version makes my ears bleed. Also, the PS1 version, said arcade perfect, is so damn hard that it's almost impossible in single player. Get this one.
    Marko's Magic Football: little improved sfx and decent soundtrack (the cartridge one is awful).
    Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse: Extra level, much more samples and with better quality. The PS1 version is better in every tech aspect (clearer voices, awesome sfx, even better graphics), but plays slower...
    Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra: 1000x better, but in Japanese. I pray every day for a translation.
    Mortal Kombat: arcade soundtrack, better quality samples, some improved backgrounds, more frames of animation and very little extra graphic details... Annoying loadings, but I'd pick this one. Blood is enabled by default.
    NBA Jam: Not enough extras to compensate the annoying loadings. Stay safe on your Genesis.
    NHL '94: Not enough extras to compensate the annoying loadings. Stay safe on your Genesis.
    Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure: All levels from the PC version, better soundtrack and sfx... Go for it!
    Prince of Persia: Avoid the CD version at all costs! It's a cheapo mock-up of the PC Engine version, heavily downgraded. IMO, you should take the European Mega Drive version ("When released for the Mega Drive in Europe, this version was enhanced with a new short intro animation of the prince getting kicked down a set of stairs and the musical score playing throughout the stages. Most of all, the Mega Drive version features four all new levels, and time extending potions to make up for the longer journey."). The Sega CD version offers a save feature though...
    Puggsy: Extras and save feature. Much inferior cutscenes... But I'd take this one over the cartridge, for sure.
    Radical Rex: CD soundtrack, but the game is a mess. Avoid all versions.
    Road Rash: A different version... I like it. FMV, great soundtrack, saves and all the same choppy ugly graphics.
    Samurai Shodown: Trade offs... The gameplay is much closer to the arcade version, but sound-wise it's inferior (less and worse samples). Better backgrounds and bigger sprites, but worse special attack graphical effects. Almost no slowdown, but very annoying loadings... Better text screens but no referee anymore...
    Shadow of the Beast II: best version compared to any platform. Light-years better than the Genesis port. Superb...
    Sol-Feace: The cartridge version plays slightly better. Average game.
    Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin: greatly improved. A must have.
    The Terminator: Different and far superior game. Another must have.
    Theme Park: Avoid. The same for the cartridge.
    Wolfchild: Better soundtrack, sfx and extended levels. Ugly game.
    Last edited by Barone; 12-06-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

From experience, Mickey Mania is certainly definitive on the Sega CD. But, even then, I wouldn't skip-out on the great chip tunes the Genny cartridge brings.

Eternal Champions: has always felt to me like an enhanced version, but some people even go as far as calling it a sequel. It also is quite definitive on the Sega CD.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin: is vastly superior to the Genesis version. You get an added overlay map of the entire city from which to select your levels and much, much more.

Ecco: The Tides of Time The music in the Sega CD version alone is something you don't want to miss. The same goes for the cutscenes.

Sol-Deace: Don't get it for the soundtrack, as it's just a slightly enhanced version of the cartridge's chip tunes. It's the overall feel of completeness that is added with this slightly enhanced soundtrack and anime cutscenes that makes it definitive.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    From experience, Mickey Mania is certainly definitive on the Sega CD. But, even then, I wouldn't skip-out on the great chip tunes the Genny cartridge brings.
    Agreed.

Master of Shinobi

Bram Stoker's Dracula. The Genesis version is a turd. The Sega CD version, though also a turd, is a much nicer looking turd.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Agostinho has covered it pretty well.
    Only missing EWJ and the Ecco games which were mentioned by other people.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

[QUOTE=QuickSciFi;413610]

Ecco: The Tides of Time The music in the Sega CD version alone is something you don't want to miss. The same goes for the cutscenes.

A lot of people prefer the cartridge tunes over the more ambient CD soundtrack. I personally prefer the CD version for the cg cutscenes, which are indeed awesome.

Eternal Champions is better on the Sega CD, but I'll keep my cartridge thank you very much. The Genny version of EC has some of my favorite tracks of any video game music. I found the CD soundtrack to the game to be quite poor.

NBA Jam CD is kind of pointless. Virtually identical to the Genesis port, but with loading, and an inferior soundtrack.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I'll third agostinhobaroners' list, but then I also need to mention that I agree with all of the other games listed. Ecco, Spiderman, especially Batman Return, Pitfall the Mayan Adventure, Puggsy are all games I prefer on the Sega CD.

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    I prefer those three in the Sega CD, yes.

"What other Genesis games were best on Sega CD?"
    Batman Returns: 'Cause I can turn off the Genesis part and play just the racing game.
    Bloodshot: This version has in-game music and the textures are not corrupted.
    Brutal: Paws of Fury: Additional bullshit... This version is less bad.
    Chuck Rock: Better soundtrack + extras...
    Chuck Rock II: Better soundtrack + extras...
    Demolition Man: Little extras... I don't know. If you like the FMV scenes, it's better. Otherwise, I'd take the cartridge version 'cause I prefer its soundtrack. lol
    Ernest Evans: For the cutscenes...
    Eternal Champions: Vastly enhanced.
    F1 Circus CD: A different game, much worse.
    Flashback: The Quest for Identity: Has in-game soundtrack and good cutscenes.
    Flink: The CD soundtrack saves you from the painful cartridge synth...
    Heart of the Alien: 2-in-1. Definitive version.
    Hook: Just for the CD soundtrack.
    Jurassic Park: Different game. I hate this one, but if love point-and-click games you can enjoy it. No mouse support, shit!
    The Lawnmower Man: Different game and baaaad. Avoid.
    Lethal Enforcers: The CD version gives you a decent soudtrack and better voices. The Cartridge version makes my ears bleed. Also, the PS1 version, said arcade perfect, is so damn hard that it's almost impossible in single player. Get this one.
    Lethal Enforcers II: The CD version gives you a decent soudtrack and better voices. The Cartridge version makes my ears bleed. Also, the PS1 version, said arcade perfect, is so damn hard that it's almost impossible in single player. Get this one.
    Marko's Magic Football: little improved sfx and decent soundtrack (the cartridge one is awful).
    Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse: Extra level, much more samples and with better quality. The PS1 version is better in every tech aspect (clearer voices, awesome sfx, even better graphics), but plays slower...
    Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra: 1000x better, but in Japanese. I pray every day for a translation.
    Mortal Kombat: arcade soundtrack, better quality samples and very little extra graphic details... Annoying loadings, but I'd pick this one. Blood is enabled by default.
    NBA Jam: Not enough extras to compensate the annoying loadings. Stay safe on your Genesis.
    NHL '94: Not enough extras to compensate the annoying loadings. Stay safe on your Genesis.
    Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure: All levels from the PC version, better soundtrack and sfx... Go for it!
    Prince of Persia: Based on a different version. IMO, you should take this and the European Mega Drive version ("When released for the Mega Drive in Europe, this version was enhanced with a new short intro animation of the prince getting kicked down a set of stairs and the musical score playing throughout the stages. Most of all, the Mega Drive version features four all new levels, and time extending potions to make up for the longer journey."). The Sega CD version offers a save feature, thank God.
    Puggsy: Extras and save feature. Much inferior cutscenes... But I'd take this one over the cartridge, for sure.
    Radical Rex: CD Suntrack, but the game is a mess. Avoid all versions.
    Road Rash: A different version... I like it. FMV, great soundtrack, saves and all the same choppy ugly graphics.
    Samurai Shodown: Trade offs... The gameplay is much closer to the arcade version, but sound-wise it's inferior (less and worse samples). Better backgrounds and bigger sprites, but worse special attack graphical effects. Almost no slowdown, but very annoying loadings... Better text screens but no referee anymore...
    Shadow of the Beast II: CD sountrack and some extras. Bad port anyway.
    Sol-Feace: The cartridge version plays slightly better. Average game.
    Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin: greatly improved. A must have.
    The Terminator: Different and far superior game. Another must have.
    Theme Park: Avoid. The same for the cartridge.
    Wolfchild: Better soundtrack, sfx and extended levels. Ugly game.
    Nice list but I disagree with you on NHL 94, the better sound effects and CD organ music add immensely to the overall atmosphere. I'll also like to say FIFA is vastly better on the Mega CD, Sensible Soccer is much better too as is Cliffhanger
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hero of Algol

Well, I just hate the NHL '94 loadings, but you have a valid point.
    I forgot FIFA, but I really don't care about it since I can play International SuperStar Soccer on the Mega Drive, which is a far≥ superior game.
    I also forgot about the Cliffhanger, sorry.

I've never tried Sensible Soccer on the Sega CD... Why did you say it's much better? I like the game and would like to know about the improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    Well, I just hate the NHL '94 loadings, but you have a valid point.

I've never tried Sensible Soccer on the Sega CD... Why did you say it's much better? I like the game and would like to know about the improvements.
    1st thing it controls like a dream on the MD, but the Mega CD version features PCM sound effects (with a wicked effect for hitting the post) and real crowd chats and singing recorded from a actual League Football game . Even after all these years, its still the best football game ever made imo

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    1st thing it controls like a dream on the MD, but the Mega CD version features PCM sound effects (with a wicked effect for hitting the post) and real crowd chats and singing recorded from a actual League Football game . Even after all these years, its still the best football game ever made imo

That looks like a fast NES game.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Correction: WolfChild's levels are not extended; they're completly different as of level 2 onwards. The music's different too (besides being CD quality, the soundtrack has been completly replaced; not for the better, mind you). The MD version's better; only get the CD release if you like the game.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Thread Information