Quantcast

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Genesis games that had a definitive version on Sega CD

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    • Great soundtrack
    • Cool cinematics throughout the game adding to the experience
    • Much improved graphics and animation(cart game looks ugly as hell by comparison)
    • Improved gameplay
    • Rebuilt with a much larger world to explore

^^ Genesis hardware alone could not have contained such goodness. The Sega CD version not only craps all over the cart release, but uses the features of the hardware and CD format to full effect. Its a stellar title on the Sega CD.

Edit: Yes i don't think it used the mode 7 chip, but everything else was there.
    The intro was poor and not the best quality imo , bar the animation on Spiderman I don't think the graphics were that much improved and I think the more open world game map , took away from the game focus . I much rather the Cart version myself
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that the cutscene animations are using the Graphics CoProcessor, which has nothing to do with SNES' Mode 7. At least, it looks like something a good blitter could render at ~15-20 frames per second. I wish more Sega CD games did this rather than messing with live action FMV. It was too early for CGI FMV that everybody loved on the Playstations, so animation was the next best thing especially if it was real time or pre-rendered by the system.

I absolutely prefer the Sega CD version of Spiderman over any other 16-bit Spiderman game. I loved the world map and freedom of selecting locations, and detective work. The Genesis game felt very incomplete to me. It's really too bad they didn't give Batman Returns' platforming levels the same treatment, and art style.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

I'm pretty sure that the cutscene animations are using the Graphics CoProcessor, which has nothing to do with SNES' Mode 7
    I don't think so and it looked way behind Core 's effort with Chuck Rock 2

I loved the world map and freedom of selecting locations, and detective work
    I think that was the worst part of the game - it was sometimes very hard to know and work out where you had to go and do next , plus it meant a lot of levels that looked very much the same . I liked the MD version more and loved the little touches like the camera . Its a shame that SEGA never brought it Spider man the Arcade game to the Mega CD or Saturn
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi NostalgicMachine's Avatar

How about Eternal Champions? The Genesis version was fun, but the Sega CD version was leaps and bounds ahead IMO.

I'd always been waiting for moonwalker on sega CD. With music from CD and clips from the movie.
    1 XB360, 1 md2, 1 mcd2, 1 snes, 1 ms adapter, 1 Nes, 2Gamegears (for playing sor co op)
    http://soundcloud.com/djtwok

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgicMachine View Post
    How about Eternal Champions? The Genesis version was fun, but the Sega CD version was leaps and bounds ahead IMO.
    Exactly.

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djtwok View Post
    I'd always been waiting for moonwalker on sega CD. With music from CD and clips from the movie.
    That would have been damn cool!!

Sorta off topic - Anyone here played the Moonwalker Arcade game?

Banned by Administrators

What are the best 25 Sega CD games in your opinion ?
    Last edited by Vector2013; 03-28-2013 at 01:14 AM.

yeah! where's Forgotten Worlds Deluxe??

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    yeah! where's Forgotten Worlds Deluxe??
    On PC Engine.

It would have been nice if the Ys Book I & II for Mega-CD rumor had become reality.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    On PC Engine.
    Yeah, missing parallax, 2P mode and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure: All levels from the PC version, better soundtrack and sfx... Go for it!
    While I always defend the Sega CD version as being the superior port among ALL console ports (better controls, sfx, music and more content), I recently realized that the Sega CD version seems to be the only one missing a little animation in the Tazamul Mines level (which IS present in the Genesis version), where some little rocks are dropping from the top portion of the screen to give you the sensation that the place is ruining itself and it's about to fall down anytime soon (there's also a proper sfx for such animation).
    It's a very minor detail which certainly doesn't change my opinion about the Sega CD version being the definitive one but, all in all, it's a down point. I think it may have something to do with the RAM limitations of the Sega CD since this game has a lot of animation going...
    I need to re-check very carefully all other levels to see if there's anything else missing in the Sega CD version.
    Last edited by Barone; 09-25-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Is the Sega CD Version of The Adventures of Batman and Robin better than the genesis version?

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrTechnoSqueek View Post
    Is the Sega CD Version of The Adventures of Batman and Robin better than the genesis version?
    They're totally different games.

And no, it's not.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    They're totally different games.

And no, it's not.
    alright thanks!

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I still wonder why the driving scenes of Adventures of Batman & Robin weren't just added in between the levels of the Genesis game like they did with Batman Returns. I know the two games were by different developers, but really man talk about an awesome Sega CD game with the Genesis' fighting levels and the Sega CD's driving levels.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Thread Information