Quantcast

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega Everdrive - The next level?

Gaming de-evolved. Death Adder's minion StoneAgeGamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I really can't wait to order a red one I don't mind waiting, but do you have a date of when a (pre)order can be made?

Also some technical questions:
    - is there technical documentation? (like a memory map, usage of the usb port, access SD-cards)
    - Can a "game" access the extra RAM after it has been loaded to write stuff there? Unpacked sprites, larger level data?

The MEGA Everdrive will be my development cartridge and i have some plans for it. I originaly was thinking about buying loads of RAM and FLASH to build something my self, but then i read about the MEGA Everdrive i decided to wait.

I plan to pickup my SuperTux MD project again when i get it.
    I don't supply any technical documentation, but I think KRIKzz plans to. There is section in manual about home brew, but it doesn't get technical:

Homebrew Development

USB Port allows the user to load the ROM file from a PC to cart memory and then run it. This is much quicker and easier than transferring to SD card for testing and debugging.

The USB port also allows the transfer of data back and forth between the PC and homebrew software.

Homebrew software can load its own customized firmware into the FPGA.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I like to use a regular SD card so I can load homebrew ROMs when they pop up.

Also, I asked this question somewhere else and it got swallowed up in the mist of unsearchable posts. Can the FPGA eventually emulate the 32X?
    I asked KRIKzz this and he said the FPGA may be able to emulate, he's not sure, but it really doesn't matter because you still need AV in/out that the 32X has, which obviously the cart doesn't have. So he said he doesn't believe there is anyway to do this. So unless someone can provide a way to make it possible through the Genesis/MD AV port then there is no way to do it at this time.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Mega EverDrive (Deluxe Edition) [BLIZZARD WHITE]

DSCF2272.JPG

DSCF2264.JPG

DSCF2273.JPG

DSCF2261.JPG
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    I asked KRIKzz this and he said the FPGA may be able to emulate, he's not sure, but it really doesn't matter because you still need AV in/out that the 32X has, which obviously the cart doesn't have. So he said he doesn't believe there is anyway to do this. So unless someone can provide a way to make it possible through the Genesis/MD AV port then there is no way to do it at this time.
    The A/V Out! Urgh I hate it when I ask questions I already know the answer to.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I'll get one of these some day, for now I'll enjoy my reg Everdrive.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

I don't supply any technical documentation, but I think KRIKzz plans to. There is section in manual about home brew, but it doesn't get technical:

Homebrew Development

USB Port allows the user to load the ROM file from a PC to cart memory and then run it. This is much quicker and easier than transferring to SD card for testing and debugging.

The USB port also allows the transfer of data back and forth between the PC and homebrew software.

Homebrew software can load its own customized firmware into the FPGA.
    I did read that section in the manual and that is why i asked for more documentation on how to use it. I did not expect you to supply the technical documentation your self, that is of course up to KRIKzz. I was just asking if it was available. I would also like to know when you expect we can make a (pre)order. Don't mind waiting for the cart itself, as long as my order is in the queue
    Learning the genesis one bit at a time

Now with 33% more @$$! WCPO Agent Assman's Avatar

I did read that section in the manual and that is why i asked for more documentation on how to use it. I did not expect you to supply the technical documentation your self, that is of course up to KRIKzz. I was just asking if it was available. I would also like to know when you expect we can make a (pre)order. Don't mind waiting for the cart itself, as long as my order is in the queue
    The pre-orders started about a month ago. They were limited to 35 and are already gonna start shipping out pretty soon. You can still place an order for the next batch, though, as far as I know.

http://stoneagegamer.com/mega_everdrive_deluxe.aspx

Looks like he has begun adding information for homebrewers: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...-MegaEverdrive
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Looks like he has begun adding information for homebrewers: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...-MegaEverdrive
    Sorry for the late response.

Good to know all the hardware will be available for homebrew. Thanks for sharing.
    Learning the genesis one bit at a time

Beat Em Ups WCPO Agent cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Anyone buy one of these "stripped" down Mega Everdrive's. I bought mine from Retrogate.com and then bought a 16G SD Card from eBay. In short I don't have a f'in clue but I am doing something wrong. It says I need to put MEGAOS.BIN in--> /MEGA/folder that must be located in root of SD card. WTF? I can get the MEGAOS.BIN from Krizz website but I have no clue about this /MEGA/folder in the root of the SD card.
    Girl Carrie Underwood
    NFL Dallas Cowboys
    MLB Toronto Blue Jays
    NHL St.Louis Blues
    NBA Golden St. Warriors

Now with 33% more @$$! WCPO Agent Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    Anyone buy one of these "stripped" down Mega Everdrive's. I bought mine from Retrogate.com and then bought a 16G SD Card from eBay. In short I don't have a f'in clue but I am doing something wrong. It says I need to put MEGAOS.BIN in--> /MEGA/folder that must be located in root of SD card. WTF? I can get the MEGAOS.BIN from Krizz website but I have no clue about this /MEGA/folder in the root of the SD card.
    It seems like the ED would automatically create those folders on the SD card when you fire it up, but I got the deluxe version from Stone Age Gamer that already had the card setup with all the folders it uses, so I don't know for sure, especially if it can't find the OS.

Just create a new folder on your SD card, name it "MEGA" and put the OS in it. I'd imagine that'll work fine.

Beat Em Ups WCPO Agent cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    It seems like the ED would automatically create those folders on the SD card when you fire it up, but I got the deluxe version from Stone Age Gamer that already had the card setup with all the folders it uses, so I don't know for sure, especially if it can't find the OS.

Just create a new folder on your SD card, name it "MEGA" and put the OS in it. I'd imagine that'll work fine.
    That's what I did I figure I got a jacked up SD card from eBay.

First thing I did was put the (straight out of the pastic) SD card in the Mega Everdrive and booted it up (I thought I needed to format it in the Everdrive). never worked. Then I made the Mega Folder and put in the MEGABO.BIN folder never worked. Then I just put in the MEGABO.BIN file without a folder never worked.
    Last edited by cowboyscowboys; 04-28-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    Girl Carrie Underwood
    NFL Dallas Cowboys
    MLB Toronto Blue Jays
    NHL St.Louis Blues
    NBA Golden St. Warriors

I picked it up simply because it uses ram instead of flash so it'll basically last forever. I went for the retrogate model so I got it in some regular genesis cart case with holes cut in it. I removed the label and all is good:

I don't need it to fpga a 32x the real thing is just fine. But sega cd fpga I'd love to see simply because cds and cd drives break so easily. I'd also love to see the master system fm support get done and it probably could happen since there's audio pins on the cartridge slot (that's how the 32x mixes its audio). Here's a recording of a classic being played from the mega everdrive for anyone who's curious:

I highly recommend this cart. It's a flash cart for 3 systems (genesis, genesis compatible master system roms, 32x roms) and it potentially can do a whole lot more. Also I honestly didn't believe this kind of loading speed was possible until I saw it for myself.
    http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by AlecRob View Post
    Nintendoage: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
    You are like a black slave overseer working for your white liberal and PC slave master named Xander Crews.

Don't think you could ever run a CD game from a cart. How would it utilize the CD processing?

Lets just pretend that sometime down the road someone who does not want to pay $75 dollars for a flash cart comes along and offers a self programing genesis flash cart with high performance micro-controller maybe something like this: http://www.atmel.com/devices/AT32UC3...x?tab=overview how would you mega drivers react? I know I would buy it.

Thread Information