Quantcast

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis vs. SNES: Game-by-game comparisons.

this is a very helpful thread, thanks!

some comparisons I would love to see:

Robocop 3
    Spider-man: Maximum Carnage
    Spider-man: Separation Anxiety
    The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare
    Virtual Bart
    Alien 3

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Added a master list of comparisons/comparers to the first post.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Verdict: for better game experience SNES version is recommended, but Genesis version is good too. Its main weakness - absence of weapon change button.
    You can have a patch for that here:
    http://homepage.corbina.net/~lich/rrr/demos/Earthworm_Jim_weapon_select_hack_by_Ti.rar

EDIT: Shit, that is for the first game, not the second. Anyway, it's useful.
    Last edited by Barone; 08-22-2012 at 09:32 PM.

What the hell, let's do a new one:

---------

B.O.B.

Case: B
    Genre: Action platformer with puzzle elements
    Verdict: SNES in a landslide

SNES version:

Pros:
    • Smoother framerate/cleaner scrolling
    • Superior control scheme allows for changing weapons without going to menu screen...
    • ...plus a dedicated button for punching, which is a big deal
    • Better play control
    • More distinctive enemy sprites
    • Easier to spot floor areas that cause damage
    • Somewhat higher difficulty (especially in boss fights?)

Cons:
    • Music orchestration is arguably inferior
    • Music sometimes slows down when scrolling the screen
    • I noticed occasional graphic glitches in a few spots

Genesis version:

Pros:
    • Music is arguably better, and doesn't slow down
    • Somewhat lower difficulty? (Might be a pro or a con, depending on your point of view)
    • If I'm not mistaken, there are a few cutscenes/splash screens that are skippable in the Genesis version, but not in the SNES version

Cons:
    • Scrolling is mildly choppy, I'm guessing @ 30Hz (maybe even @ 20Hz?)
    • Need to go to a menu when changing weapons or items
    • Controls are noticeably more slippery vs. the SNES
    • Some enemy sprites are simpler and/or less colorful; a few are completely different, IIRC
    • Damaging floor areas are harder to spot

Other differences:

• Level designs seem identical, and if there are exceptions I haven't spotted them
    • Some of B.O.B.'s wisecracks may differ here and there; the SNES version has a misspelling ("wierd" for "weird")
    • I'm unsure whether the ordering of levels is exactly the same in both versions, but again, I haven't spotted any differences so far

Verdict:
    There's simply no contest: the SNES version is superior in almost every way, both technically and in terms of subjective enjoyment. I think it's somewhat harder, but because it also plays better it ends up being a more satisfying experience overall.

That said, the Genesis version is still a fine game and well worth playing, but it's likely to be more frustrating than its SNES rival.

---------

BTW the screenshots above don't really do justice to the differences; if you want to check out some playthroughs of the game on Youtube, you can get a better idea:

Tool-assisted speedruns:
    TAS B.O.B. SNES in 74:11 by windeu
    [HD] TAS: Genesis B.O.B. in 52:57.85 by Toothache

"Let's play" playthroughs: (I make no warranties as to the quality of these)
    Let's Play B.O.B - 01 - The Torture Begins (Genesis)
    Let's Play : B.O.B. (SNES) Pt. 1 - Sweet Nostalgia HD (SNES)

But keep in mind that the difference in the game's scrolling won't be evident, since Youtube doesn't support 60Hz encoding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by goldenband; 12-09-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Hero of Algol

Thumbs up

WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game
    Genre:
    Fighting/Wrestling | Platforms: MD/GEN, SNES/SFC, 32X, SAT, PS1, PC | Case: C

Super Nintendo (Sculptured Software) (1995) (24 Mbit)

Cons:
    • It's lacking two fighters: Yokozuna and Bam Bam Bigelow.
    • Many in game narration samples lacking (several ones lacking compared to the Genesis version).
    • Some inconsistencies with the samples playback system when compared to the arcade. Some examples: fighters' names are announced during the fight when it should have been done before the fight (Genesis version got it right); the game doesn't play narration samples in quick sequence like in the arcade (Genesis version got that right).
    • Limitation of two enemy fighters: in the arcade and any other version you can have up to three enemies on screen, but here only two. That's the SNES's lack of raw processing power showing up. It has more slowdown with 2 CPU enemies on screen than the Genesis with 3 enemies on screen. It affects badly the gameplay, since the idea of having three CPU enemies on screen was to make the fight more difficult to handle, especially the royal rumble...
    • Heavy slowdown. The game really plays way too slow with two enemies on screen... The whole feeling of the arcade game non-stop action is lost.
    • Less options (in the Genesis version you can use different button mappings).
    • Dithered shadows.
    • The trail of afterimages effect has gone.
    • The special effects and "magic" objects related to attacks and finishing moves of the 1-on-1 fights are severely cut down. Example: Undertaker's finishing move which spreads bats has around 16 bats on the arcade, 8 on the Genesis and 3 on the SNES.
    • The crowd animation is clearly simplified when compared to the arcade and noticeably poorer than on the Genesis.
    • The screen has a noticeable black border on the bottom and a huge border on the top of the screen. Genesis version is full screen.

Genesis (Sculptured Software) (1995) (32 Mbit)

Cons:
    • Much less colors for the background and HUD.
    • The ring's canvas has lost a lot of details.
    • Characters color palette gets worse when you have more than two wrestlers on screen.
    • Uses the Genesis low-res mode.
    • It's lacking the crowd samples.
    • Sound samples quality and music are better on the SNES.
    • Top and bottom sets of ropes aren't animated.
    • Dithered shadows.
    • The trail of afterimages effect has gone.
    • Noticeable slowdown with 3 AI wrestlers alive on screen.

Verdict: Genesis version is far superior and the only one that really tries to be "The Arcade Game" in this contest.

Additional notes:
    1) The Genesis version suffers with slowdown with 3 CPU enemies on screen. Overclocking fixes that.
    2) 32X version runs at lower framerate than the Genesis version, but it uses the 320x224 resolution mode. It also has noticeably bigger wrestlers sprites, better sample playback quality, improved music, true shadows for fighters and objects, ropes animated as in the other versions and far more colors. There's also some extra voice samples, especially for Razor Ramon, despite the cartridge having the same capacity of the Genesis version (32 Mbit).
    The 32X version also has more voice samples being played simultaneously than the Genesis version; almost on par with the arcade.
    3) The Saturn is pretty bad considering the hardware capabilities. Both PS1 Saturn versions lack in game music. They have many more narration samples (the Saturn version has some more over the PS1's, but the PS1's has for fighters' voice samples) (including the ones in the character's select screen) compared to the cartridge versions though. Saturn uses CDDA music while the PS1 version uses chip tunes. The PS1 version is better and has MUCH shorter loading times. PS1 version also features transparent shadows, while in such aspect the Saturn version is inferior to the 32X's. Saturn version is buggy.
    4) The PC (DOS) version is closer to the arcade game than any of the console ports.

Related videos:
    Arcade version playthrough (with cheats) (using M.A.M.E.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvjeIB5E_Iw
    PS1 vs Saturn comparison (recorded from real hardware): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPEdI9WXRWo
    Last edited by Barone; 05-15-2016 at 04:19 AM.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to [Barone] again."
    Last edited by goldenband; 11-22-2013 at 01:43 PM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

goldenband, the music slowdown in the SNES version of B.O.B., I haven't seen any comments on this for any SNES game. Have you listened to the music in SNES Mortal Kombat II, I'd swear it is slowing down as well.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Hero of Algol

Thumbs down

Top Gear 2
    Genre:
    Racing | Platforms: SNES/SFC, GEN, AMI OCS, AMI AGA, CD32 | Case: B

Super Nintendo (Gremlin Interactive) (1993) (8 Mbit)

Pros:
    • The music is the best of all versions.

Cons:
    • Scrolls slower than the Genesis version which compromises the speed sensation in comparison.
    • The chase car camera angle is noticeable lower in comparison, which reduces your view and promotes some blind crashes on elevation changes.

Genesis (Gremlin Interactive) (1994) (8 Mbit)

Pros:
    • A cool overtake sound effect was added.
    • Has an animated ending screen.
    • Car skidding sound effect is better than the SNES version.
    • Seems to be using a tweaked version of the Lotus engine, which delivers longer draw distance and higher scrolling speed on 1P mode than all other versions.

Cons:
    • Poor coloring. The palettes have lots of repeated colors.
    • Lacks the fuel meter, so the gearbox upgrade for lower gas consumption element of the SNES game was completely lost.
    • Uses the Genesis low-res mode.
    • Trackside objects seem to be a bit more sparse than in the SNES version.
    • The screen has noticeable black borders.
    • Music is nowhere near as good as the SNES version.
    • You can't have in game music + sound effects like on the SNES.
    • The 2P mode is heavily plagued by slowdown; the SNES version feels more stable.
    • Graphics are really poor and a step down when compared to Lotus II RECS (Lotus III is the correct name) on the Genesis which is totally unacceptable.
    • Difficulty was toned down and it really affects the gameplay. You can crash a lot more without bad consequences to your car which makes everything feels more generic.

Verdict: SNES version is far superior in most of the aspects.

Additional notes:
    1) There's a Amiga OCS version which looks good but runs with massive slowdown on a stock Amiga 500. It also lacks the fuel meter like the Genesis version.
    2) There's a Amiga AGA version which looks good but requires quite a powerful configuration to run well while the game itself doesn't come close to Lotus III in terms of speed sensation and trackside objects fake-scaling.
    3) There's also a CD32 version that adds CDDA soundtrack and looks good at first but is plagued with slowdown/framerate problems. It requires one of the expensive SX modules to run fine on the CD32, what is pathetic given how well Lotus III from Lotus Trilogy run on the stock CD32 while being a lot more graphically impressive than Top Gear 2.
    4) All Amiga versions have poor and weird sound effects. They also use noticeably smaller-than-normal sprites for the trackside objects.

Related videos:
    Amiga OCS version gameplay (recorded from real hardware):www.youtube.com/watch?v=tROGMRLK0wE
    Amiga CD32 version gameplay (recorded from real hardware):www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIXDIDCYJ_Y
    Amiga AGA version longplay (emulated footage): www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBIqcXwxNFw
    Genesis vs SNES comparison (emulated footage): www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Y8Ch4gMAE
    SNES vs Amiga AGA comparison: www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF0AsT9iFLk
    Last edited by Barone; 05-15-2016 at 04:15 AM.

Nice one, Agostinho! Do you want me to change your other credits to just "Barone", BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    goldenband, the music slowdown in the SNES version of B.O.B., I haven't seen any comments on this for any SNES game. Have you listened to the music in SNES Mortal Kombat II, I'd swear it is slowing down as well.
    I used to play SNES MKII a lot and didn't notice any slowdown in the music, but then again I was focused on the gameplay and distracted by all the cries of pain and woe. I don't remember, is there a way (in-game or via Game Genie) to disable the SFX?

Hero of Algol

Nice one, Agostinho! Do you want me to change your other credits to just "Barone", BTW?
    Yes, please.
    Thanks.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

How about Street Fighter 2 SCE & Turbo

Hero of Algol

Art of Fighting

• Graphics are noticeably superior to the MD version

• Graphics are inferior, with no scaling effects (not a big deal IMHO)
    While I agree that the SNES version looks better (especially due to the MUCH better color usage; the Genesis/MD version is kinda poor even considering the system limitations), most of the backgrounds are more detailed on the Genesis/MD version (despite of using like 16 colors only). Also, most of the Genesis/MD stages have parallax while the SNES version doesn't have it due to the use of zoom effect.
    Some examples:
    -King's stage looks really nice on the MD, with some neat "reflection" drawn on the floor and you can see some animation in the city view on the horizon. It's neat.
    -Mickey's stage has that neat wavy effect on the Genesis version.
    -Jack Tuner's stage has many more details, including the billiard table with the animated illumination.
    -Todoh's Stage has parallax and animation, while it's flat and static on the SNES.
    -The first Bonus stage has extra background details also using neat animation.

It doesn't change anything about the verdict IMO, but I think that would be cool to mention that the Genesis backgrounds are more detailed most of the time (the big exception is John's stage which looks great and animated on the SNES while pale and static on the Genesis).

*I also correct my "veredict" replacing it with verdict. In Portuguese it's "veredito", so I fucked up.

Updated, thanks!

The character select screen for WWF Wrestlemania looks really nice - thanks for posting.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

My David Crane's Amazing Tennis review's been submitted; once it's up I'll post about the versions here. It's an A case on which I've decided against writing a Side By Side as the differences are too few or obvious to make for much of an article.

In the meanwhile I wanted to ask whether anybody had Side By Side requests. These I feel are lacking representation on the site: there are currently 19. See under Features on the main site. I'd be willing to take one provided I'm familiar already with one of its versions, they're sufficiently comparable (not what goes by a Case D description for this thread's purposes), and the Genesis/MD comes off favourably. This last is important to me as the Bart vs the Space Mutants I wrote inevitably favoured the NES, but you don't have to be certain of it in advance, rather just don't suggest MKII MD vs SNES.
    Remember for Side By Sides the alternate version(s) can be for any system, eg Sonic 3D Blast MD vs Saturn by Baloo.
    Thanks.
    Just shoot

Thread Information