Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter II (SNES vs. Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis)

Road Rasher

Default Street Fighter II (SNES vs. Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis)

Street Fighter II was released for the SNES and Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis in 1993 (both ports combine SFII Turbo: Hyper Fighting and Champion Edition into one cartridge.) Both versions have their advantages and disadvantages. This thread is reserved for Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES) and Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition/Street Fighter II Dash Plus: Champion Edition (Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive.) I just want to hear what you guys think about these ports and which version you think is better. Do you think the Super Nintendo version is superior to the Sega Mega Drive version or vice versa? Do you like them equally? Feel free to share your opinions.

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

Aw jeez...

Nameless One

Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

During these years I was actually playing the PC Engine version of Street Fighter 2 CE. I was quite satisfied with it.

Road Rasher

Response to llj (comment #3)

I've played the PC Engine port of Street Fighter II Dash Champion Edition; I think it is a pretty good port.

I enjoy the ports of SFII'T:HF/SFII':CE on the SNES and Sega Mega Drive and I do not prefer one port over the other.
    Last edited by Josh; 10-19-2011 at 09:32 PM.

I could care less really which is better because I would never play either of them in this day and age. There's no need to play them when I can just play SF Alpha 3 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I think it is a pretty good port considering the hardware that the programmers had to work with.
    LOL!!, I don't want to sound like a pc engine fanboy, but believe it or not, in some aspects the PCE hardware had nothing to envy to the Megadrive and SNES specs wise, it was even better in some areas, the PCE can show more colors on screen at the same time than the SNES.. just to give you an example;
    and considering the quality of the games that were released, I believe that the PCE It's a more capable system than the SNES, but that is just my biased opinion.

I like Champion Edition for its multiple star turbo.
    Babies...the unfortunate by-product of a good time.

Sega's 6 buttion controller is what puts it over the top for me. Not saying Nintedo's controller is bad (sure as hell better than the 3 button) but Sega's looser d-pad and 6 button layout could'nt be topped by anything during the 16-Bit days.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Playing Street Fighter II on a SNES pad is the only time I've gotten a gaming blister on the tip of my thumb. This never happened no matter how long I played SCE or Super on the Genesis. When I worked at retail, I liked to put SCE on one of the TVs with a basket of cross platform controllers in front of it. Everybody would grab the SNES controller or the N64 or Playstation Controller. I thought that was interesting.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I am not much of a huge fan of SCE / Turbo. Right now the PC Engine version seems to be the most interesting version out of the three so that'd be my choice. On MD I'd play SSF2 as it is much better in every regard (with the one exception being the music - which is different, not necessarily better nor worse); and on SNES the original SF2 - if only for the nostalgia.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Yeah, I don't really like the Turbo speeds at all. I always felt like I was missing out on character animations. I also prefer Champion Edition on PCE for how smoothly the sprites scroll in comparison to the Genesis and SNES versions. Also, Plug:

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Oh boy, this topic again.

I like SCE better than Hyper Fighting. I like the Genesis music on SCE a lot of the tracks sound closer to the arcade in my opinion. I also prefer the Genesis six button pad, or better yet my six button arcade stick, and the gameplay in general. I never played the PC Engine one so I can't really comment on that.

As far as Super Street Fighter goes, it's better on the SNES.

There are so many better ways to play Street Fighter 2 now that this debate hardly matters anymore.

I also do not really like the turbo Street Fighters. I prefer just regular old Street Fighter 2. I'll take plain old SF2 over any of the Turbo's, Alphas, III, or the VS crossovers. As far as 16 bit ports go, I prefer the SNES version. Not that it's superior to the Genesis version, they are nearly equal, each is better in different ways. I prefer the SNES version because of nostalgia. Growing up, that was really the only version I ever really had access to, other than the arcade cab. So, I really like to play it with the SNES controller, probobly because that's the controller that my hands got used to playing it with. The controller that I was better with. I used to own motherfuckers souls on some SNES SFII with Guille. So it just doesn't feel natural to play with any other controller for me.

With all of the options for a much more accurate translation of the arcade game, I rarely ever play any of the console versions these days, other than when I feel the need to take a 15 minute nostalgia trip.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Road Rasher

Response to Obviously (comment #13)

I agree with you that Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers is better on the Super Nintendo. If you want to play the PC Engine version of SFII, you have a couple options.

You can:
    1. Buy a TurboGrafx-16, a controller (a TurboTap is required for multiplayer use), the game itself (Street Fighter II Dash: Champion Edition), and a converter. (This is if you want to play the game using the real hardware.)
    2. Download the game on the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console.

In the PC Engine version of the game, the win quotes, vs. results screen, and ending text are in Japanese, however the rest of the text (character names, menus, high score name entry, etc) is in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Not saying Nintedo's controller is bad
    No, it's not bad, it's downright awful.
    That's why any Street Fighter game on the SNES will never be able to catch up with its MD counterpart.

It's that simple.

Thread Information