Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter II (SNES vs. Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis)

Both SFII: SCE and SSFII play beautifully on the Genesis. I can pull off the special moves of each character almost flawlessly. Isn't control what's most important when you get right down to it? Visually, I think both are awesome ports of their arcade counterparts. I mean, what kind of magic do you expect out of our poor Genesis utilizing the limited storage medium of carts? Capcom did the absolute best job they could given the technical limits of the Genesis compared to the likes of the CPS-1 and CPS-2 arcade hardware. In the end, I think Capcom deserves major kudos for what they produced for our beloved system.
    Babies...the unfortunate by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by chinitosoccer View Post
    LOL!!, I don't want to sound like a pc engine fanboy, but believe it or not, in some aspects the PCE hardware had nothing to envy to the Megadrive and SNES specs wise, it was even better in some areas, the PCE can show more colors on screen at the same time than the SNES.. just to give you an example;
    and considering the quality of the games that were released, I believe that the PCE It's a more capable system than the SNES, but that is just my biased opinion.
    I got into a long convaluted back and forth slobber knocker on this exact topic and having owned all three systems I was not impressed with the PCE. Granted I never had the duo and the converter and the arcade card and then Rondo of Blood which I feel is the systems best effort. For the most part the PCE displayed 8 bit looking grahfx with a LOT of color and superior sound to that of the NES. With that being said I also believe the system had a very good port of SFII and the best sound FX and IMHO the best sprites.

http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/compa...20Fighter.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W3BNXOO41c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVyvm...eature=related

Road Rasher

The Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis version has ten star speeds available from the start of the game in Hyper mode. In the SNES/Super Famicom port, players had to enter a cheat code to receive this feature, otherwise the max speed setting would be four stars. The same also goes for the ability to enable/disable special attacks in versus mode; the SNES/Super Famicom version requires a cheat code to activate it, whereas the MD/Gen version has it available by default. The Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis port also contains a cheat code to increase the speed in Champion mode, although the max speed is five stars instead of ten stars. This feature is not in the SNES/Super Famicom port.

Master of Shinobi

I think at some point turbo makes the game just too fast, in that it's like running a game made for a 286 on a Pentium. Way too fast for the human playing it to react. So when someone goes "Well x version has one more turbo star!" it doesn't mean much, unless your a Swedish android with superhuman reflexes.

Nameless One

Noob players bump the speed up to 10 and then mash on the buttons. Then they can say they're doing real combos.

All three versions are pretty nice, but i'm a Genesis fanboy so i'm going with special champion edition.

I will say though, that while the SNES has better voices, i think the Genesis version has better music. The SNES port is nice, but the soundtrack sounds more like a replica that they "jazzed" up a bit. Where as the Genesis port sounds truer to the arcade original. Like they took the legit arcade soundtrack files and downsized them to fit on the cart.

Also sounds "cleaner" too. SNES has that hollowly feel.

Sorry to say that Capcom did a bad work about digital voices both on the SNES and Megadrive/Genesis ports.
    These ports are great but PC Engine port concerning voices is ten time better. It is a shame from a big arcade company.
    Some Genesis/SNES games have good digital voices. Capcom did wrong with this particular point. Why ? I don't know.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

SNES got a strict RAM limit shared by music, sfx and voices.

MD has no hardware compression for PCM samples so squeezing all samples from a state of the art arcade game like Street Fighter II onto a 1993 16-bit cartridge wasn't such an easy task without compromising on sample quality.

Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    I got into a long convaluted back and forth slobber knocker on this exact topic and having owned all three systems I was not impressed with the PCE. Granted I never had the duo and the converter and the arcade card and then Rondo of Blood which I feel is the systems best effort.
    How can you make a claim of the best game on a console when you just said that you haven't played most of the library? Graphically, Rondo isn't the best game. It's very good, though. If you compare it to the SNES version, the PCE version blows it away in every category except some backgrounds (special effects!). The SNES version looks choppier (way less frames of animation) and pixalated (lower resolution) be comparison. Still, both versions do look nice. No denying that.

The PC Engine was interesting in that it spanned well over two generations of gaming. So yes, a lot of the earlier titles just look like upgraded versions of what you might see on the NES or SMS, but with a higher colour count, more animation and more going on at once. The later games on the system compare easily to any Genesis or SNES game. Unfortunately, a lot of those games are much less accessible; having often not been released outside of Japan and then being fairly expensive to import (aside from SFII, which is dirt cheap).

I think I remember that conversation that you were in, and you seemed to be basing your opinion on a rather limited exposure to the system.

If you compare hardware and how it was used, the PCE does indeed compare to the SNES (and likewise the Genesis). The SNES has better graphical special effects, a better colour selection, and a more powerful (although not necessarily better) sound chip and higher memory on most games. The PC Engine displays more colours on screen, can handle more pixels on screen, uses a much better resolution, is better animated and, for games that utilized the Arcade Card, has WAYYYY more memory (but if just using carts, has wayyy less memory).

If you have a PC Engine CD system with Arcade Card, it is more powerful than the SNES in just about every way except for special effects. Special Effects capabilities really are the saving grace for the Super Nintendo. It's a similar comparison between the SNES and Genesis, except for the colour count (the Genesis just sucks here).

Compare PCE Gradius II to SNES Gradius III. No contest that the PCE looks better here.
    Compare PCE Soldier Blade to SNES Space Megaforce. Same thing.
    Compare any of the PCE Neo Geo fighting ports to the SNES versions. No contest that PCE wins.
    Last edited by Breetai; 09-03-2012 at 09:08 AM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

The PCE/TG16/DUO can technically display more colors on screen than the SNES, but I haven't found a game that actually displays more colors than higher color SNES games. The SNES typically tops out at 150 colors on screen in game, with more action oriented games tending towards the 90-120 color range. Every PCE game I have sampled is in the 40-90 color range most of the time. That 512 color palette isn't exactly going to make it easy to display 480 unique colors on screen in a real game.

As for the Genesis SF2 samples, somebody brought up last year in a koolkitty thread that the sample quality is actually fine (4-bit?) and it is just the DAC timing that Capcom screwed up.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    The PCE/TG16/DUO can technically display more colors on screen than the SNES, but I haven't found a game that actually displays more colors than higher color SNES games. The SNES typically tops out at 150 colors on screen in game, with more action oriented games tending towards the 90-120 color range. Every PCE game I have sampled is in the 40-90 color range most of the time. That 512 color palette isn't exactly going to make it easy to display 480 unique colors on screen in a real game.

As for the Genesis SF2 samples, somebody brought up last year in a koolkitty thread that the sample quality is actually fine (4-bit?) and it is just the DAC timing that Capcom screwed up.
    Just as a certain number of colors on-screen in a Genesis is not the same as a similar number of colors in SNES and PCE games, the differences in color use between PCE and SNES games is more in depth than overall color counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastardcat View Post
    I think at some point turbo makes the game just too fast, in that it's like running a game made for a 286 on a Pentium. Way too fast for the human playing it to react. So when someone goes "Well x version has one more turbo star!" it doesn't mean much, unless your a Swedish android with superhuman reflexes.

Agreed to an extent. Extra stars & speed are nice but there comes a point when its just idiotic.

Up to 4 stars speed setting is good enough, but i seem to remember some SF ports doing like 9 or 10. Yeesh.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

It's more about the fact that their audio driver was horrible at compression (and playback) of digital samples. The SNES has hardware supported digital sample compressions comparable to ADPCM, which was necessary since the sound hardware is entirely sample based. By comparison the Genesis and PCE were designed for only using samples in one channel and that was probably intended to be sparingly.
    Actually, the PCE was designed to run samples at any (supported) quality in any channel, even all of them at once. That's part of why the samples in the PCE port of SFII' sound as good as they do: they aren't all sharing a single channel.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Actually, the PCE was designed to run samples at any (supported) quality in any channel, even all of them at once. That's part of why the samples in the PCE port of SFII' sound as good as they do: they aren't all sharing a single channel.
    As I understand it, the Genesis DAC using multiple channels is also just a matter of timing. Street Fighter 2 SCE was the first I noticed that attempted multiple samples at once. Barone recently alerted me to the fact that Mortal Kombat 3 does it without the garble.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

As I understand it, the Genesis DAC using multiple channels is also just a matter of timing. Street Fighter 2 SCE was the first I noticed that attempted multiple samples at once. Barone recently alerted me to the fact that Mortal Kombat 3 does it without the garble.
    Yeah but that timing isn't very easy to do. The PCE can play 12 7KHz 4bit samples at the same time without breaking a sweat (assuming no music , this is the quality of the SF2 samples).
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Thread Information