Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Columns (Master System)

Sonic Columns (Master System)

Sega attempted to combat the success of Nintendo’s Tetris with Columns, which is a solid game in its own right. Released on the Genesis in 1990, it also received a Master System port, and that version is actually one of the better puzzle games on the console. Read the article and see if you agree.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Honestly? I prefer the Master System version over the Mega Drive version. It feels more 'accurate', for the lack of better words.

you havent rated it

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

We're reviewing 8-Bit games now?

Columns on Master System is MUCH better than Columns on Genesis, but the Game Gear version is definitely the best version of Columns, no doubt about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    We're reviewing 8-Bit games now?
    This. Has all the 16-bit Sega content been completed or is the site simply expanding to all things Sega?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

I'm glad to see master system games reviewed.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

No. From what I gather, Hands-On is for Genesis ports to other systems. That's why we have a look at Shining Force on iPhone. This is exactly the same thing.

I'm planning to do some Hands-On features of my own, just need to write em out and submit them. I'm gonna do separate features on the Game Gear and Windows PC ports of Garfield (Genesis).

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    No. From what I gather, Hands-On is for Genesis ports to other systems. That's why we have a look at Shining Force on iPhone. This is exactly the same thing.

I'm planning to do some Hands-On features of my own, just need to write em out and submit them. I'm gonna do separate features on the Game Gear and Windows PC ports of Garfield (Genesis).
    Not neccessarily, the first Shinobi was never ported to the Genesis. With all of the Master System adapters for the Genesis floating around, I think SMS reviews belong on the site just as much as the 32x and Sega CD reviews.

Perhaps it would be better if Master System reviews had their own subsection just like Sega CD and 32x games, and the reserve the Hands On feature for Genesis games ported to other systems, like the Shining Force: Ressurection of the Dark Dragon, and Sonic Jam(Game.Com) entries.
    Last edited by Nobi; 10-15-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

My point still stands. If SMS/GG is added to the site, then all the Master System Hands-On features will have to be taken down. I don't think Melf is planning on removing any articles from the site...

Not likely Guntz, Melf will probably simply convert them to the review section as they are and just move on.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

That doesn't make much sense, most Hands-On features are formatted with a source game in mind (specifically, from the Genesis). As stand alone reviews, they would feel odd and different from the other reviews. Is this not a problem?

Still, a possible extension to the site is likely still a couple years away, if the stream of reviews keeps steady.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    That doesn't make much sense, most Hands-On features are formatted with a source game in mind (specifically, from the Genesis). As stand alone reviews, they would feel odd and different from the other reviews. Is this not a problem?

Still, a possible extension to the site is likely still a couple years away, if the stream of reviews keeps steady.
    You seem to be confused. Hands-On Features are merely about games in a series that was either started or had an installment on the Genesis, i.e. Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

I realize that. It's why we have Shining Force for iPhone, as well as Columns on SMS reviewed. My point is, Hands-On features aren't quite the same as reviews, unless you guys think the differences are negligible.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Funny you would move this thread here first. I just happened to buy this game two days ago. I had been meaning to try a "handheld" version of the game for a long time, seeing how clunky my Genesis cart would look on the Retrogen Portable (and the awful emulation, of course). But to my avail, the clunkyness ensued. I enjoyed it on the GG, don't get me wrong, but I don't see why they needed to make screen so much smaller for it. I can hardly see a thing.

Thread Information