Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Puzzle Games

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Default Genesis Puzzle Games

I thought it would be nice to have a Genesis puzzle game thread. I am sure something like this has been done before, but it is either gone or buried in the forum. A search of the forum got me nowhere, so I think thought it would be nice to have a thread to talk about our favorite Genesis puzzle games.

Game List
    --------------------
    Columns
    Columns II
    Columns III
    Junction
    Klax
    Ishido
    Mega Panel
    Pac Attack
    Professor Robotnik's Angry Frijole Contraption
    Zoom
    Zoop
    Shove It
    Ultimate Qix
    Block Out

New Games
    --------------------
    Cascade (2015)
    Suprakillminds! (2014)

Homebrew Roms
    --------------------
    Mine Sweeper (2013)
    Mega Swirl (2014)
    2048 (2014)
    Solaris (2015)
    Doroppu (2015)

This is about the extent, unless you start counting Lemmings/Krusty's Funhouse/Humans/Vikings... Which I guess you can, seeing as this list is crazy short... What a bummer.

Edit: Added new games and home brew section.
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 10-27-2019 at 02:42 PM.

What the Genesis really needed to round out the puzzle game selection would have been Bust a Move, a decent version of Tetris w/ a versus mode, (hell, I would have settled for localized versions of Bloxeed or Flash Point, and that's only because I was starvin' for some Tetris...) and a handful of first party puzzle games (perhaps the Puzzle and Action Games being released in the states)... For f*cks sake, the Game Gear had Bust a Move...
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 10-12-2011 at 12:28 AM.

The Genesis really is lacking in the puzzle department. Columns isn't half as good as it is on Game Gear/Master System, and IMO the rest of those games really aren't anything special.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hero of Algol

Puyo Puyo Tsu (Two) is the best one (Japanese only, but it's very cheap). The 2-player mode is pure fun and very addictive... Every time that my friends are here they demand to play it.
    IMO the main gameplay feature that makes it so great is that you can win or lose until the very last moment, even when everybody has sure that the contest is already decided.

meh, I liked Columns. It had some nice features and the game opens up after people stop treating it like a Tetris clone. Which it isn't. Sega made plenty of Tetris clones, and Columns wasn't one of them. Again, Bloxeed and Flash Point... Anyway, I thought that Mean Bean Machine was a great puzzle game and I still play it to this day. Zoop was really fun and had a freaking spectacular soundtrack. Junction was really interesting, which reminds me, the Genesis needed a Pipe Dream clone...Oh BPS...I love you so hard...

Also, Pac Attack was pretty damn fun.

For what was available, there was a decent set of puzzle games. Let's be honest, it was never really great for puzzle games on console till the PS2...My PS2 puzzle game collection is absurd.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Mean Bean Machine was a great puzzle game and I still play it to this day.
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is the first Puyo Puyo with changed sprites.

Yeah I know that. I still play the hell out of it. I am a big Puyo Puyo fan in general. As far as vs. puzzle games go, I prefer it to Puzzle Fighter/Tetris... But I think that Panel De Pon/Puzzle League is the serious business...

Hero of Algol

Panel De Pon is awesome!

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I recommend adding a sub-list to have non-traditional Puzzlers as a subgenre in other games. I'm thinking Puggsy, The Lost Vikings, Asterix and the Great Rescue, etc.

P.S.> There is no Column II on the Genesis. It was a Japanese arcade title that only made it to the Sega Saturn later on.

Oh, and it's "frijol."

That list is pretty underwhelming. I enjoyed Columns moderately, but the rest I can take or leave (I know, Puyo Puyo is pretty well regarded, but I've never been able to get into this game). I like Klax quite a bit, but the Atari Lynx version is the best around, so I don't play the Genesis one.

I agree the Genesis needed versions of Tetris and Bust-a-Move, my two favorite puzzle games of all time. It's a crime that the Game Gear has BAM but the Genesis doesn't. Good puzzle games are hard to find on any system, but especially so on our blast processing friend

Puyo

Quick SciFi: Yeah, I added those at the end. I had more of the traditional puzzle style games as opposed to lemmings/krusty's/Lost Vikings style game play. I have no problem tossing them in there though, they are puzzle games for the most part. Also, Nice catch on the Columns II, I don't know why I put that there...Wishful thinking, Voyage Through Time was in indeed only in the arcades.

On the Frijol thing, I specifically put Frijole because it sounds funnier. White people (no offense) in AZ say Frijol like "free-holy" it's funny. Frijol Contraption, Freeholy Contraption...yeah...

Sketch: I really like Columns, I just suck at it. It is really a damn fine puzzle game. Sega was really forward thinking in how they presented the game, both in game modes, Arcade/Flash and multiplayer, Arcade/Flash and Doubles variations. Not only that, the way the game scaled difficulty was nice for people getting into the game. Am-pro settings meant something rather than game speed, it affected gem colors and ultimately made a crap-ton of block variations. Columns is pretty damn crazy. Really, I think it is criminally underrated/misunderstood. That combo system alone is really impressive for its time. Bejeweled owes it lively-hood to Sega's sweet ass puzzle game making skills.

On the MBM thing, I love that game. Puyo Puyo is just great. Once you get into it, it can become quite entertaining. That, and vs. mode is just too much fun.

-Jorge!

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

I am a big fan of Dr. Robotnik, its easily my favourite MD puzzle game. I was really disappointed with the MD Columns too, the GG version is far better. I love Ultimate Qix though too which is more of a strategy puzzle game and a conversion of the Volfied arcade game which is fantastic.

Blockout, Klax and Ishido are all better on the Lynx so I don't bother with them for the MD. I have Pac-Panic for the CD-i and its a bit better on that.

Agreed about Bust-A-Move and its also a shame we never got any mahjong games in the west as they are addictive as hell.

I wish somebody would program a hombrew version of Bejeweled and Zuma for the MD.
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

People don't really pay any attention to them because of the Christian content, but Exodus and Joshua from Wisdom Tree are really fantastic puzzling games. The later maps are pretty devilish in design and use many different types of tiles and objects to create some mind-bending scenarios. I find them to be quite enjoyable.

columns is super cool!!

best in 2 player mode imo

Jezz, there really is fewer than 5 trully good puzzle games on MD isn't there

This is an area where the SNES really does dominate unfortunately

Thread Information