Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS2 fat VS slim, which is better?

The slim model's simpler design for accessing CDs might give it more longevity in general. A loading mechanism for the phat is just one more mechanical thing to break. The pop top on the slim feels cheap (and I'm sure it was designed this way to save space and money), but it seems a pretty practical way to save wear and tear on the system as well.

Slim has a built in ethernet port. For the fats you need to buy a network adapter. Something to consider if your planning on doing some online gaming. Although most games' servers are shut down.

NEWS FLASH!

slim PS2s can scratch your discs without warning.

The ribbon cable that leads to the laser can become mis-shapen over time. Supposedly this will happen if the unit is stored while the laser is near the spindle.
    The ribbon cable will protrude just high enough to come into contact with the disc.
    I shockingly discovered this one day and then looked back at the recent games I'd played. Something like a dozen very high value games now have a scuff-mark ring around the disc surface.

After doing research I did discover some mentions of this issue on a couple forums. It doesn't seem to be widely known.
    I've half wanted to keep my mouth shut about it since I have a couple slim units to sell, and I also don't want to contribute to a price increase of fat-PS2s by spreading this news about the disc scratching slim unit. But you all should be aware of this potential serious issue.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

^This. I've also heard of a number of other reasons it does this. But I had to discover this on my own the hard way. Get yourself a PS2 phat if you can.

P.S.> I just moved that laser a bit and I noticed it's true. The cable does tend to over-extend as it approaches the spinner. I'm going to have to try and raise that spinner as has been told to me.
    Last edited by QuickSciFi; 10-21-2011 at 02:05 AM.

I had a fat PS2 when they were still in production and that also scratched some of my disks. I remember borrowing a game from a friend and when I returned it he looked at it and it was scratched to hell. All I did was take it from the case to the system.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

I'd prefer a fat PS2 based on looks alone... looks far cooler and more impressive.

That, and having a disc tray lets you stack things on top of it, if you really choose to do so. Not that I'd recommend it.

Now I just got to get around to using the hard drive I installed to it. 320GB and too lazy to do a thing with it.

Yes if you ever have to replace the laser in a PS2 slim, you may be caught unawares with that cable. Has only caught me out once when after replacing I thought "hmm that sound ain't right" Easily fixed though.....

The Howling Wind Force Wildside Expert Kaze Okami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    I have a 50003 Phat and it's given me nothing but problems. Constant disc read error messages, won't play PS1 games, CDs or DVDs. Even adjusting the laser doesn't work. I'm getting a Slim model, the Phat's crap.
    Strange, I used to have a 9000 which I installed a modchip in and it worked fine with no problems for about a month. Then for no reason as far as I know it refused to read any discs, real or burned. I took out the chip and it started running fine again. I swapped it for a 5000 and put in the modchip and it runs perfectly aside from the rare disc read error (ive only had about 2-3 disc errors ince I got it September last year) but thats to be expected with the PS2's unreliable hardware.

Thread Information