Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: miraculous finds

Sonic gamer since 1993 Nameless One 16-bit pwnage's Avatar

Default miraculous finds

This is for the many collectors of video games; what was you greatest find for your collection outside the online scene? I'm talking stuff like finding a really rare game in a store or at a garage sale for dirt cheap or receiving a great collectible from a friend. I guess mine since I started a hardcore collecting life was in a specialty store for games where I found copies of Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy and Vectorman and paid $15 for the lot (all cartridge only, but still pretty sweet!).
    Up on the shelf; it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Sega Genesis! Faster processing than a SNES, more powerful than a TG-16, able to play 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit and CD-ROM games on a single system (with the CD, 32x and power base converter, of course)

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

I once found a Sega SG-1000 at a flea market, lying in a cardboard box amongst mixers, toasters and old VCRs. The guy only wanted a few bucks, but since I was completely broke I lost the chance to get my hands on Sega´s very first console.

Albert Odyssey, still in the shrink-wrap, $14.99, on the shelf at an independent used game store. Now I have to find a copy that has been opened so I can play it.

There's a thread very much like this one buried under a year of posting (http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216), but discussion may as well carry on in this here new one.

I haven't come across anything too fantastic lately in my game hunting. The last semi-deal on something rare that I stumble upon was a copy of Raiden Project for PSX at EB Games for $7. Unfortunately, it was disc only and badly scratched. I bought it anyway, as the game is pretty awesome. Luckily the disc works perfectly.

What else.. well, years ago, there was a video rental store I stopped at on a drive back from Vancouver where I found a complete copy of Secret of Mana for about $15-20, map and everything. The front cover of the box was a bit faded from having sat on a shelf near a window for presumably a period of years, but everything was there. These days that package could go for anywhere from $50-$100 due to the bloating in value Squaresoft RPGs have enjoyed, but at the time it wasn't that miraculous of a find.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I got mint, PAL copies, sadly cart only of Phantasy Star 2 and 3 for less than $25 shipped. The same game as the US version, only difference is the labels.

Seeing that both games, in their american versions goes for much more loose, and are in worse shape just about always, I jumped on it. One gamestore an hour away has quite a few PS2 carts for $20, and they are all in shit condition.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

I got the "All your base are belong to us" game for 100 Swedish Kronor = 13,76 $US at a store in a monucipality near Gothenburg where my brother lives. The guy who sold the game didn't recognize the phenomenon the game had created.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I got Street Fighter CE opened, but in otherwise perfect condition for $4 at a Goodwill. Not that great of a find but I was thrilled at the time . . . last week.

Zebbe, I thought Sweden was on the Euro now. Was that purchse made several years ago or something?

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

My dad got me Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the PS2 for $10 at a flea market. The guy didn't know what he had.

I later gave it to a girl I liked on her birthday who I wanted to like me back. That didn't really pan out, but she did eventually give me the game back.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe
    I got the "All your base are belong to us" game for 100 Swedish Kronor = 13,76 $US at a store in a monucipality near Gothenburg where my brother lives. The guy who sold the game didn't recognize the phenomenon the game had created.
    "What happen?" I got Zero Wing off ebay for £2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe
    Zebbe, I thought Sweden was on the Euro now. Was that purchse made several years ago or something?
    Sweden, Denmark and the UK are three non-new European Union countries that don't have the Euro, although Denmark have pegged the Krone to the Euro so will probably end up joining soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Quote Originally Posted by David J.
    I got mint, PAL copies, sadly cart only of Phantasy Star 2 and 3 for less than $25 shipped. The same game as the US version, only difference is the labels.

Seeing that both games, in their american versions goes for much more loose, and are in worse shape just about always, I jumped on it. One gamestore an hour away has quite a few PS2 carts for $20, and they are all in shit condition.
    I picked up those two for $4 a piece, boxed, from a village of values known here as Value Village. Ol' #3 came with the map to boot. The carts and boxes are in fantastic shape, but I can only imagine that the manuals have been long digested by the stomach of a hungry and impatient child.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, it just occured to me - months ago I found a complete and very mint copy of Toejam & Earl for $4 again at a local pawnshop that has since been shut down. I had the periodic miraculous find there, and one near-buy that I periodically regret not going through with. Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Caliber for N64, cart only, $10. Instead, for some reason I bought N64 Quake II for the same price. I wanted a quick fix of action in spite of the fact Quake 2 PC waited patiently at the homestead. Poor choice.
    Last edited by Drixxel; 10-20-2006 at 09:41 PM.

I got the US version of Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Saturn for $50 sealed. Maybe about $55 total shipped.

I got Dracula X for the PC Engine CD sealed for about $67 after shipping.

I got Princess Crown complete and in mint condition... for free.

I got Taz-Mania for 99p.

A Mega Drive 2 console w/ controller and all leads off a car boot - £3.

Aladdin, Talespin, Lion King, Sonic 2 and another game (forgotten which one) all for £4!

Um a NES Power Glove for 3 bucks
    Genny1 to 32x Conversion Cable for 75
    4 Saturn model 2 controllers for 3 a piece.

Lion King - 50p
    Vectorman 1 - 50p; both off a car boot.

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

I have another one that might not count.

I scored a Robotic Operating Buddy for about $20, mint with box and original instructions.

But...is that really miraculous? It's the R.O.B.

Thread Information