Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World Heroes (SNES vs. Sega Genesis)

Raging in the Streets Da_Shocker's Avatar

Josh are you obsessed with this SNK ports? You seem to know a shit ton about these games and World Hero's was a C level Neo-Geo fighter at best.

Road Rasher

A few questions:

1. How is the PC Engine CD port of World Heroes 2 (by Hudson Soft) compared to the Neo Geo and Super Nintendo versions?

2. Was the SNES port of World Heroes 2 only released in the United States and Japan, or is it also available in PAL regions?

3. How easy or difficult is it to find Japanese and/or PAL versions of the original World Heroes on the SNES?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Due to laws in Germany prohibiting the selling of violent video games to minors, Brocken's appearance had to be changed to no longer resemble a Nazi.
    That's odd... I had the Amiga version, and I don't think that they changed his appearance for that port! I'd need to do some digging, though...
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Submitted:
    Reviews:
    European Club Soccer / World Trophy Soccer
    Brian Lara Cricket '96
    Traysia
    Cheese Cat-Astrophe starring Speedy Gonzales

Working on:
    Reviews:
    World Class Leaderboard

A few questions:

1. How is the PC Engine CD port of World Heroes 2 (by Hudson Soft) compared to the Neo Geo and Super Nintendo versions?
    It's fairly faithful, if I remember right. Graphically there is a downgrade, but it's not so much as to lessen the gameplay. I just remember it playing fine, and MUCH better than the SNES version.

3. How easy or difficult is it to find Japanese and/or PAL versions of the original World Heroes on the SNES?
    It's very easy to find the SFC version. No idea about PAL.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    It's very easy to find the SFC version. No idea about PAL.
    Thanks, Breetai.

Well World heroes series are not good on Neo Geo so 16-Bit ports should be just awful.
    Free advice : play Fatal Fury 2 and Samouraļ Shodown on Genesis, or Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special on the SNES.
    Others good ports : Fatal Fury Special (PC Engine/ SEGA CD), Samouraļ Shodown (SEGA CD, 3DO).
    PS2 Anthologies are just fine but graphics are victims of a rendering filter to fit HD screen + Heavy Frequent Loading.
    Saturn ports are often very good but need the add-on RAM cardridge and a switched machine (or Japanese version).
    There is a rule about SNK ports : nothing is better than the original on NEO Geo AES console or Arcade system.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

A few questions:

2. Was the SNES port of World Heroes 2 only released in the United States and Japan, or is it also available in PAL regions?

The PCE version of WH2 is unbelievable and the most impressive Neo Geo to PCE port. The characters appear to be the same size as the Neo Geo version, only narrower to match the narrower screen resolution. On a TV screen they should be the same size. It likely has all of the player animation frames. There is so much, you would have to inspect every frame of both versions to find what could be missing. Some if the background animation is missing and background characters don't generally walk around. Otherwise, the main difference between the PCE and Neo/SFC versions is the lack of layered background scrolling. The floors do line scroll though. It has to be seen to be believed.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

A few questions:
    I've played it and thought it was pretty good, but I've never played the NG or SNES versions.

I can give you visual references though:
    PC-Engine <----------------------------------------------------> SNES

Road Rasher

@Black_Tiger (comment #27) and tomaitheous (comment #28)

Thank you both for the information about the PC Engine CD port of World Heroes 2.

Hard Road! Raging in the Streets Barone's Avatar

All PC Engine CD ports of SNK fighting games are superb both in graphics and gameplay; Art of Fighting also has a superior soundtrack version IMO. The only major "downgrade" is the lack of parallax but the ports play like arcade dreams.
    Hudson certainly had very gifted programmers... Some people will talk about the huge amount of RAM provided by the Arcade Card trying to detract some awesomeness from their work but the fact is that all ports also have better/more faithful controls and gameplay than the other 16-bit ports.

SNES port is another good job done by Saurus (the same of Genesis's Samurai Shodown) and certainly a valid option.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiespruce View Post
    There were better games on the CD-i than there were on the 3DO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    That is definitely true. SNES games are overall more well-balanced. The Mega Drive has many more (extremely) difficult games for no other reason than bad game balance and sometimes shitty controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    Rondo of Blood? Dracula X? Really? Everyone with any sense recognizes they're vastly inferior to SCIV. Especially in terms of controls, if nothing else. Anyway, I agree with A Black Falcon 100%.

@Black_Tiger (comment #27) and tomaitheous (comment #28)

Thank you both for the information about the PC Engine CD port of World Heroes 2.
    Have you been to PCEngineFX? Those game comparison photos are there.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

---------------PCE-----------------------------------SNES---------------

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    I really dont care which is better since I just play the one on the SNK collection on PS2.
    Kinda the same with me. But instead I fire up my MVS cab and play the real deal.
    MY SEGAS
    [Model 1 Sega CD x 5] [Model 1 HD Genesis w/Component Video] [Model 2 Genesis] [32X CIB] [Master System Model 3010] [Nomad w/LCD mod] [Dreamcast] [Saturn] [Game Gear]

Thread Information