Quantcast

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Sega Game Gear Home console system ....

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Man, this makes me regret selling my childhood sweetheart, I'd love to have fitted one of those great new screens and had TV out. Superb.

Road Rasher

Where can i get one of these?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by CasetheCorvetteman View Post
    Where can i get one of these?
    The system originally posted is the product of a rather elaborate series of mods which were accomplished as a one-off exercise. The creator explicitly states that it is/was not for sale. Consolised Game Gears have been created by a number of people at this point (myself included), generally for personal use. Each of them requires extensive mods, as I say, to an original system (and the creation of a custom controller, if the Start button is to be functional). Sometimes, modders do sell consolised Game Gears on Ebay. But as far as I know, nobody has ever offered full Game Gear consolisation (i.e., Controller Mod + McWill mod) as an on-demand service.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by PixelPedant View Post
    The system originally posted is the product of a rather elaborate series of mods which were accomplished as a one-off exercise. The creator explicitly states that it is/was not for sale. Consolised Game Gears have been created by a number of people at this point (myself included), generally for personal use. Each of them requires extensive mods, as I say, to an original system (and the creation of a custom controller, if the Start button is to be functional). Sometimes, modders do sell consolised Game Gears on Ebay. But as far as I know, nobody has ever offered full Game Gear consolisation (i.e., Controller Mod + McWill mod) as an on-demand service.
    Well i for one would pay good money for the one pictured at the start... Looks bloody great...

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Do you offer such service? Serious buyer here.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    Do you offer such service? Serious buyer here.
    Nah, sorry, just requires sourcing of too many parts and too much time investment to pursue as something other than a personal passion project, for me. My recommendation to folks interested in getting one would be getting a McWill modded Game Gear (with VGA) off Ebay or from a modding service, then doing the controller mod yourself (controller 2 can connect to the EXT port, so you only need to build a port for controller 1).

Not only is the prior (McWill) mod more difficult (requires very fine soldering), it's much more abundant on the open market, while conversely, the soldering work required for the latter (controller) mod isn't particularly tricky, and really anybody should be able to do it, but it's also very rare, so a do-it-yourself approach is comparatively necessary.

The controller mod is only difficult to the extent that it's somewhat poorly documented and requires some understanding of controller electronics. But the rundown I put together basically lays out every required connection, so the latter consideration might not be much of a worry at this point. And I'm happy to explain any of it further.

Road Rasher

Ive got a pile of Game Gears you couldnt jump over that i was going to fit new screens to, but having my partner very ill i just havent had the time to do anything like that.

Hope things get better on that front. And not just so you can get back in the modding game. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to choose between the well-being of our loved ones and the well-being of our Game Gears.

Road Rasher

Hope things get better on that front. And not just so you can get back in the modding game. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to choose between the well-being of our loved ones and the well-being of our Game Gears.
    Thanks very much for your kind words, i appreciate that. While we live in hope, the unfortunate reality of it is that this may not be something that will go away, which is something ive struggled quite a bit to deal with.

Yeah, family is the most important thing. The recent hurricane situation here made me appreciate that on a whole new level. I hope things work out, CasetheCorvetteman.

While I'd LOVE to have a console GG, I have would be happy just to have a new screen installed. One of mine won't power up and the other's screen is slowly dying.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Bump!

Well, since no-one is willing to do this mod, and the prospect of my left kidney versus eBay prices still doesn't seem very appealing, I went for the Retron 5 with the 3-in-1 adapter.

It is satisfactory. It plays my favorite Game Gear game beautifully, Defenders of Oasis. So, I'm set.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

QuickSciFi, never say never! I'll let the cat out of the bag and say that I'm also hoping for an affordable consolized game gear produce in the near future! If there is a demand, someone will create and sell it!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I went for the Retron 5 with the 3-in-1 adapter.
    Just a bit of info about that Hyperkin 3-in-1 adapter. It works fine as well on the Retro Freak system. Interestingly though, the Retro Freak's own 3-in-1 does not work on the Retron 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again, like the Jews re-establish their Israeli, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget his fans.

Thread Information