Quantcast

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sega Game Gear Home console system ....

I wish they would release a lynx adaptor, seeing as though my lynx2 has died and I still have a handful of decent boxed games still with instructions from way back. Id buy another lynx but battery life is crap and the screen is poor, id have a hard time enjoying them. If it was the gamegear id have owned and not the lynx it would have been a decent way to play my carts and I would not have had any reservations in going down this route and getting the gg adaptor based on my experience with my retron 5.
    Last edited by Rustybolts; 05-13-2017 at 06:38 AM.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Yeah, the Lynx was equally awesome back then. Hopefully that would be next on the list for Hyperkin.

The idea of SD card saves does sound enticing.

That's how gamegear look on the retron5.
    https://www.pic-upload.de/view-33173..._4595.jpg.html
    1 XB360, 1 md2, 1 mcd2, 1 snes, 1 ms adapter, 1 Nes, 2Gamegears (for playing sor co op)
    http://soundcloud.com/djtwok

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

There must be an option for a proper 4:3 perspective and for it to scale in even integers. Otherwise it's the worst option to play Game Gear games.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets

That looks fucking horrible

If it looked that horrible, I wouldn't even be considering it.

There are settings...

Wildside Expert

Always trust a cigar smoking robot. This looks great.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

I've been interested in something like this for some time now.

Here's an article on the one featured above: http://www.retrocollect.com/News/the...d-console.html

And the Behar Bros. - behind the Hanzo VGA box for Dreamcast - have cooked up this little wonder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSfD...ature=youtu.be

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: More than Just a Genesis? Analogue Mega SG Review

Raging in the Streets

Ah well that looks a lot better

Also Master of Darkness is awesome

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

Love John Hancock, but I'm not a big fan of the Retron. I'm concerned about the quality of the emulation when many of the GG carts don't even function. Does anyone know if these issues were fixed for launch?

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: More than Just a Genesis? Analogue Mega SG Review

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Looks very slick! A project like that is in my pipeline as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by StuOhQ View Post
    And the Behar Bros. - behind the Hanzo VGA box for Dreamcast - have cooked up this little wonder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSfD...ature=youtu.be
    Real hardware! That looks fantastic AND just under the amount I was willing to front for something like this. I hope they continue to make these.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I suppose I've got something to add, now, on the Game Gear consolisation front. I've wanted to fully consolise my Game Gear for a while, and I finally got around to finishing it up this weekend with a controller port and controller mod. I'd post a thread with the details, but no thread-posting privileges yet, so this seems like the best place to put it, and my observations regarding the mod.

Here's the basic before and after: https://i.imgur.com/hdS64Q2.jpg

And for the controller: https://i.imgur.com/MMAB9Gz.jpg

The Game Gear was already McWill modded and hooked up to a Kenzei and Framemeister for video output and capture, but using it held in hand under the circumstances was a bit of a nuisance.

It's the controller support I added this weekend. Both mods were non-destructive. All normal handheld functionality was preserved (Nintendo Switch eat your heart out). In the prior image above, the board is in something of an in-progress state. All the essential connections are there and the soldering's done. But wiring still needs to be secured, and nor is the DB-9 connector secured (though the dremel work on the case is done).

Basically, as far as the Game Gear goes, I did this the simple (and I'd venture most popular) way, which is wiring the test points for 1, 2, left, right, up and down to the relevant DB-9 pins for an SMS controller. Start is wired to pin 5, as that isn't used for anything in the SMS case (as the SMS controller and pinout does not feature a Start button), while it is used for +5V in the Genesis case (which we don't need).

The solution on the Genesis controller end of things was to desolder and remove the IC, which multiplexes controller input, then solder desired inputs to what would otherwise be the locations of the multiplexer input pins. It's thanks to the multiplexer that we can't just wire up a Start pin on the Game Gear end of things. As Start is on the Genesis 3-button the secondary function of Pin 9 (otherwise mapped to C). So cutting the multiplexer out of the picture for that purpose is the simplest solution. Once desoldered, there was enough wire to to work with, to manage all necessary connections using the original leads. It was necessary to wire up Left, Right, 1, 2 and Start. Up and Down could be left as originally wired.

Right now I'm running video to an OSSC for transcoding before sending it to the Framemeister (via HDMI) for scaling.

Another fun mod to add would be a reset switch (again likely added to the controller, presumably using the likewise unused Pin 7). But all the research I've read on that front has indicated a dearth of confidence regarding the appropriate approach to achieving that goal. So I'm hesitant for now.

Incidentally, for anyone doing this mod using an SMS controller, the relevant pins and test points are (likely but not guaranteed to be):

Up = DB-9 Pin 1 = M10 on GG PCB
    Down = DB-9 Pin 2 = M11 on GG PCB
    Left = DB-9 Pin 3 = M12 on GG PCB
    Right = DB-9 Pin 4 = M13 on GG PCB
    1 = DB-9 Pin 6 = M14 on GG PCB
    GND = DB-9 Pin 8 = M32 on GG PCB (or take your pick).
    2 = DB-9 Pin 9 = M15 on GG PCB

For anyone doing this mod with a Genesis 3-button controller (while preserving SMS compatibility), the pins, test points and leads are (likely but not guaranteed to be):

Up = DB-9 Pin 1 = M10 on GG PCB = Controller Default
    Down = DB-9 Pin 2 = M11 on GG PCB = Controller Default
    Left = DB-9 Pin 3 = M12 on GG PCB = Location of removed IC Pin 3
    Right = DB-9 Pin 4 = M13 on GG PCB = Location of removed IC Pin 6
    Start = DB-9 Pin 5 or 7 = M16 on GG PCB = Location of removed IC Pin 14
    1 = DB-9 Pin 6 = M14 on GG PCB = Location of removed IC Pin 10
    GND = DB-9 Pin 8 = M32 (or other) on GG PCB = Controller Default
    2 = DB-9 Pin 9 = M15 on GG PCB = Location of removed IC Pin 13

I say "not guaranteed", as I gather there's some amount of variety among GG boards, so I'm not willing to bet that's a certainty for all cases.
    Last edited by PixelPedant; 10-04-2017 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Updates and better pic

Great work.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Man, this makes me regret selling my childhood sweetheart, I'd love to have fitted one of those great new screens and had TV out. Superb.

Thread Information