Quantcast

Thread: SMS - SG-1000 compatibility?

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

Default SMS - SG-1000 compatibility?

Will SMS play SG-1000 games, or vice versa? If not, is there an adapter available for this purpose?
    It is finished!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Only possible with a flash cart that handles the BIOS check. There's no way to run real SG-1000 carts on US or European SMS hardware (except maybe if you replace the SMS BIOS with an alternate BIOS, but I think that gets very involved).

Also, all SG-1000 games have incorrect colors when played on SMS/Mark III hardware, because of a flaw in the implementation of TMS9918 video modes. The only ways to play SG-1000 games with correct colors on real hardware are (a) importing a SG-1000/SC-3000 system, (b) buying a Dina 2-in-1 system, or (c) setting up a Game Gear flashcart with a custom palette.

I quit video games ESWAT Veteran

As far as I know, a North Amercian SMS won't play SG-1000 games, but the Japanese Sega Mark III will play them.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiespruce View Post
    As far as I know, a North Amercian SMS won't play SG-1000 games, but the Japanese Sega Mark III will play them.
    That's because of the BIOS. The NA SMS all come with a BIOS that checks if the cart is valid. The SG-1000 games all lack the header needed to work with the BIOS. As mentioned, you CAN play all SG-1000 games via a flash cart as the flash cart menu boots just fine, then allows you to run the SG-1000 game without checking for a non-existent header. I've run most of the SG-1000 games on my SMS via the NeoFlash MKIII Myth flash cart; they run fine, but the colors are off a little. It's not something that matters except for one or two games that are hard to make out certain details due to the different colors. The Master Everdrive can also run the SG-1000 games on an SMS as well.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Curious, I've seen SG-1000 reproduction carts before, stuff like Pitfall. How is it these can still work on US hardware?

They either patch the rom with a header (if possible), or maybe add a loader with a little circuitry to boot past the BIOS, then flip to the game.

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Curious, I've seen SG-1000 reproduction carts before, stuff like Pitfall. How is it these can still work on US hardware?
    There have been SG-1000 games that were ported to the ColecoVision like Pitfall II and Gulkave; this is mainly because the ColecoVision and SG-1000 use the exact same hardware for the most part. I'm not aware of any SG-1000 games ported to the SMS. There are some Korean SMS games that use the SG-1000 video modes but that's about it.

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

about half of the SG-1000 games are SEGA MY CARDS.

too bad they dont work on SMS, its a nice little collection.

Quote Originally Posted by ThugsRook View Post
    about half of the SG-1000 games are SEGA MY CARDS.

too bad they dont work on SMS, its a nice little collection.
    HALF?! Not quite. It's about 25% Approximately 31 of 112 (or 1/3 of 90 if you take out the games that require the SC-3000) counting variants with some games having both a card and a cart version. Just sayin'... :P

But it is a nice little collection.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Quote Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
    Will SMS play SG-1000 games

thread from earlier this year

also, regarding "My Card" compatibility
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 11-08-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    They either patch the rom with a header (if possible), or maybe add a loader with a little circuitry to boot past the BIOS, then flip to the game.
    Would it be possible (in the metaphysical and/or practical sense) to build some kind of bootloader device that takes an actual SG-1000 cart at one end, supplies the header on bootup, and then immediately deactivates once those addresses are read and turns into a plain passthrough adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Would it be possible (in the metaphysical and/or practical sense) to build some kind of bootloader device that takes an actual SG-1000 cart at one end, supplies the header on bootup, and then immediately deactivates once those addresses are read and turns into a plain passthrough adapter?
    Yep! But is it worth it? You're probably better off just getting a flash cart - keep the cards as your collection and your justification for being able to play rom images from the flash cart. Making an adapter like you describe would be pretty easy, but probably run about as much as the Master Everdrive.

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    HALF?! Not quite. It's about 25% Approximately 31 of 112 (or 1/3 of 90 if you take out the games that require the SC-3000) counting variants with some games having both a card and a cart version. Just sayin'... :P

But it is a nice little collection.
    SG-1000 releases only... (not including region variants etc)
    41 carts
    29 cards
    (5 available on both)

Last edited by ThugsRook; 11-22-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Thread Information