Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jungle Strike

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I can vouch for that Mission Stick, pure joy.

And here all i have is "Soviet Strike" on PSX (well, as far as post-Urban Strike)

Death Adder's minion

I have all 5. Completed Desert and Jungle Strike but as far as I can remember I got stuck on an Urban Strike level for ages (think its where you run around in a building for the first time) and after doing that I seem to remember a level where the map showed you nothing at all along with every area being a Danger Zone. Impossible

As for Soviet and Nuclear, I actually haven't got round to playing those yet.

I demand that somebody send me a Mission Stick immediately. It will not be returned.

You gave it a 9....good job. This game is great, I enjoyed playing it as a kid and it's even better now I know how to do stuff properly on it. Great game.

// MEGA DRIVE KID \\

~Playing Mega Drive Since 1995~

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

hmm yes i remeber this game and i remeber finding it too boring same for dessert strike and urban altought the intro songs always kept me awake,i hell do i remember the f...cking awesome guitarish/synth remaster in jungle strike,i just remember buying a jungle strike at the local coffee shop .

Sports Talker

Right on

I love Jungle Strike. Soviet Strike is my favorite of the series, but Jungle Strike is definitely a close second. I thought the absence of music was fitting to the game, somehow.

Welcome to the next level Road Rasher GEN ESIS GAMER's Avatar

I like dessert strike, i love the story behind it.

This thread reminds me.....

I'm still not playing Jungle Strike, because I don't own it.

First Person Shooter Wildside Expert metalliqaz's Avatar

I think Jungle Strike was the best, but I hated that level with the Hovercraft. Ugh that vehicle sucked!

-d

I did have this game back in the day, it could be fun but also very challenging at times, the helicopter was sometimes very annoying to control, but once you get past that you could have fun with the game. Extensive missions were quite a cool thing, though playing the game today, the awkwardness of the helicopter doesn't really impress me that much. The ground terrain is sometimes quite depressing to look at, but that's just me!

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Good review, I agree with the sentiments there. This game is back in my clutches for the first time since I was a kid, and after spending some time on the weekend playing it I've gotta say it's still an engrossing experience. I have more patience for the tactical aspect these days, so I'm enjoying it more now and doing pretty well clearing the campaigns.

It's a clever little system with success balanced on the knife edge of intelligent use of the three resources (ammo, armour, fuel), made even more dynamic being able to complete objectives out of sequence. You can really save on resources by flying a smart sortie that includes targets from multiple mission objectives within your operational range. There's also the risk/reward factor in devoting time to blowing up local structures which may yield more precious resources to help turn the tide in your favour.

Casting my mind back to ABF's appraisal of the game in his Genesis opinion piece, IIRC he criticized the way you tend to tank hits from enemy fire. He was right that it's hard to dodge flak once some of the more rapid-fire units have a bead on you, but it's all about staying out of their firing arc altogether if you can help it. Even the little guys posted up in watch tower type structures have to move to the side of the tower you are on before firing. As far as strafing goes, it's generally not fast enough to be of too much use once the guns are aimed in your direction - rather, I've found it to be useful to increase accuracy on static ground targets like buildings to avoid wasting ammunition (the animation on your chopper can work against you with it's limited degrees of firing angle).

Strafe also made life easier when winching dudes to safety from ruined buildings in one mission, where sometimes they had a habit of congregating around the still-collidable walls.

Once I remembered all this, my success rate jumped up dramatically.

On the aesthetic side: the digitised cinemas were too grainy BITD through composite and they are most certainly still too grainy today through component, but they drive the story along in a nice cinematic fashion. The MD palette is limited for this style of graphic but I have seen quite a bit better on the system regardless. Backgrounds in-game are a bit grainy themselves but the real stars of the show are the excellently modeled vehicles that make judicious use of animation frames for turret rotation and so on.

Lack of music during gameplay is not something I usually relish but here I wouldn't have it any other way. All you need is the hypnotic thrum of the rotor punctuated by the excellent sampled weaponry (the percussion from the Commanche's 30mm cannon is awesome through speakers, especially when you get the fire rate upgrade).

Banned by Administrators

I recently replayed the last two Genesis Strike games. And faster strafe speeds that makes strafing very useful in Urban Strike is one reason I prefer it over Jungle Strike.

In Jungle Strike the biggest pain in the butt was that snow stage where you had to take out these towers around those tanks that can melt your slow strafe helicopter armour down in a second. Which reminds me, this game's difficulty is all over the place as if random instead of progressively getting harder with each map. Beginners would do well to warm up with Desert then Urban before tackling Jungle and breaking your controller in that snow stage.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I reached the snow stage last night and that's where I left it. I'll jump back in the cockpit tonight and check it out.

What's your thoughts on the on-foot sections in Urban Strike? I admit I kind of wrote the game off when I first saw them.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I reached the snow stage last night and that's where I left it. I'll jump back in the cockpit tonight and check it out.

What's your thoughts on the on-foot sections in Urban Strike? I admit I kind of wrote the game off when I first saw them.
    Trivial once you figure out you can take your sweet time (no fuel to worry about, outside of some timer countdowns that give you plenty of time anyway) and that just about everything can be killed from a safe distance before enemies activate (keep in mind you can reach enemies further away from certain angles). And if you accidently trigger incoming fire, just hydra missile melt them instantly. So really, people are making them a bigger deal then they really are because these are really just short bonus levels that only show up 3 times. I had zero problems on my revisit of these stages.

The real meat of Urban Strike are the 8 main helicopter missions (well ok, more like 7.5 since the last mission is really simple, short and looks really rushed), and that's what everyone should be solely judging the game on. Because in my opinion those 7 missions are the best in the Genesis Trilogy. Gameplay is also the best in Urban Strike too thanks to much faster strafing and mostly helicopter based instead of those other annoying Jungle Strike vehicles that I dislike more then on foot missions. But let me know what your honest opinion is once you get there. And don't worry if you don't agree with me, as I always liked and respect your opinions on games.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Soviet Strike on the Saturn is the awesome.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Thread Information