Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula One

Meh Formula One

The Genesis has a ton of racing titles, and while there are the classics like OutRun and Micro Machines, there are stinkers like Formula One. This game skimps on the graphics in favor of speed but forgets one major detail: control. A racer is nothing if it controls poorly, and that about sums this one up. Read the full review and see how so many other racers leave skid marks all over this one.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Wow, that is really harsh. Are there realistic physics in any game from that generation?
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

^The sequel to Super Monaco GP, although I actually prefer the first.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Are there realistic physics in any game from that generation?
    Virtua Racing? The physics at least make sense in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

I went and looked at some Youtube footage and I can honestly tell you that 1993 me would've loved that game. Sure, it's lame now, but in 1993, that whole high-speed, pseudo-polygon, rotating screen thing would been REALLY impressive.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I take serious offense to a review being written as though a game should stack up against games on later more advanced systems. This is an outrage. I want a doctor, I want a lawyer, I want a cheese sandwich!

I'm searching for the mean machines review of Formula One, it was what turned me on to this game in the first place.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I agree. This is without a doubt one of the finest racers on Mega Drive.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I am with you guys too,i found Formula One very playable and even better than Virtua Racing which i thought was disappointing trash.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I thought this was a really impressive game for the Mega Drive and the first time I played it was 2008....

Quote Originally Posted by 0x15e View Post
    I went and looked at some Youtube footage and I can honestly tell you that 1993 me would've loved that game. Sure, it's lame now, but in 1993, that whole high-speed, pseudo-polygon, rotating screen thing would been REALLY impressive.
    My thoughts exactly...

Whoa! 4 out of 10 for one of the best Genesis racing games? Really?

While I ain't a fan of F1 as a racing activity, I also feel compelled to vindicate this game. I played it a lot back then, and generally speaking, at its time, it was a nice, fast and colorful game with lots of courses to choose. A good job by Domark.

Now that I think of it, I saw several screenshots featuring a weirdass Sonic billboard on a magazine (Mega Sega, a direct translation of Mean Machines). I've never seen it on the actual game. Was it on a beta or something?

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

While gameplay wise it doesn't stack up to the Super Monaco GP duology I feel like the reviewer had a bit of a vendetta against it. As an arcade racer this game has a lot going for it. It's got a great sense of speed and nice retro pseudo-3D graphics. It's extremely smooth and feels good to control. It is definitely a bit too easy but I think it's well worth checking out if you like these kind of retro racers. I didn't play it back in the day but if I had I would have absolutely loved it.

There's a sequel called World Championship Edition that didn't make it to the US that improved the graphics and handling and used the F1 license better but there's something charming about the original game.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    While gameplay wise it doesn't stack up to the Super Monaco GP duology I feel like the reviewer had a bit of a vendetta against it. As an arcade racer this game has a lot going for it. It's got a great sense of speed and nice retro pseudo-3D graphics. It's extremely smooth and feels good to control. It is definitely a bit too easy but I think it's well worth checking out if you like these kind of retro racers. I didn't play it back in the day but if I had I would have absolutely loved it.

There's a sequel called World Championship Edition that didn't make it to the US that improved the graphics and handling and used the F1 license better but there's something charming about the original game.
    No offense to him, but Doug Jackson is a horrible reviewer. Formula 1 tracks are not like NASCAR. The graphics don't look that horrible. Outside of maybe color, it looks better than Super Monaco. The physics aren't that bad. His pit complaint is just a lame nitpick. Playing two player is a huge incentive for some people considering Super Monaco didn't have that. I have to wonder, even though it's a 2011 review, if he even tried to put an effort to figure things out. I doubt it, much like most of the games he's reviewed here. I don't know what Jackson was expecting out of this game.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

What about Indy Car Racing? I remember it as a good game.

Technically impressive or not, I wanted an enjoyable game and I did not get that here. It's a simple as that there's too many flaws and it's too repetitive to be fun. Just because I didn't like a game at all doesn't mean I'm a horrible reviewer though you're welcome to your opinion. Everybody's opinion is their own. how is this game supposed to be fun when you can jump over most of the cars that are in front of you? Maybe the game was considered decent when it was released but nowadays it hasn't aged well at all it's as simple as that.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Thread Information