Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formula One

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    Technically impressive or not, I wanted an enjoyable game and I did not get that here. It's a simple as that there's too many flaws and it's too repetitive to be fun. Just because I didn't like a game at all doesn't mean I'm a horrible reviewer though you're welcome to your opinion. Everybody's opinion is their own. how is this game supposed to be fun when you can jump over most of the cars that are in front of you? Maybe the game was considered decent when it was released but nowadays it hasn't aged well at all it's as simple as that.
    well it probably is still one of the best F1 games on the system

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

This review must be a joke.

It's one of the best racing games I played out of that generation though I admit not being huge into this genre but still! And I know many people who also hold this game in high regard! And so do most reviewers back then... https://segaretro.org/F1#Mega_Drive_version_2

It's the Mega Drive port of Vroom on Atari ST/Amiga which was already considered excellent.

It's also much better and more advanced than any PC Engine racing games (it actually looks like next gen in comparison to what can be found on PC Engine) and I find it better than any first-person racing games on SNES.

So ye, WTF with that review

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Zygrunt's Avatar

I'm a huge fan of this genre and I think this game is terrible. It is almost unplayable when picking it up and if you can stand it and get used to the bad controls and physics and the bad placement of side obstacles, it becomes just boring. More boring than mediocre games like Nigel Mansell and F1 Hero, for instance.

Master of Shinobi

Slightly mixed feelings on this game. I wasn't a particularly big fan of it back when it was new, but it's a fast and pretty smooth racer, and it does improve with practice. The trackside obstacles are annoying, but I guess it was the developer's way of getting players to obey track limits. It could have been worse though: they could have implemented crash=retirement. The review underrates it a bit IMO.

Its sequel feels rather different IMO, and was produced by a different developer. The car doesn't feel as wide, perhaps feels more glued to the road, and there doesn't seem to be such a speed differential between you and the computer drivers. The game isn't as smooth though.

EDIT: Also worth noting: the game seems to be based on the '93 F1 season, but is missing four tracks: Kyalami, Donington, Hungaroring, and Suzuka. Why?
    Last edited by Silanda; 11-11-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Not to be so harsh on the game I actually like the graphics. Some people won't like them because of the solid color textures, but they give it a nice sense of depth. I just wish the driving mechanics weren't so bad.

About the missing tracks, since they replaced Magny Cours, I suppose they maybe were going for a previous season and maybe changed it during development? Also they probably ran out of time to complete the season? (Or maybe rom space?)

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Zygrunt View Post
    About the missing tracks, since they replaced Magny Cours, I suppose they maybe were going for a previous season and maybe changed it during development? Also they probably ran out of time to complete the season? (Or maybe rom space?)
    Changing out Magny Cours for an interpretation of Paul Ricard makes me wonder if it was a rights issue. Prior to this year, Paul Ricard was last used in F1 in 1990, and this game doesn't seem to be based on that season.

Or maybe they were out of time and they used the track from Vroom as a base. Idk how similar they are between both games tho.

Master of Shinobi

Or maybe they were out of time and they used the track from Vroom as a base. Idk how similar they are between both games tho.
    That could be right actually. Some quick research on Youtube suggests that Vroom's track is basically identical. Interestingly, Castellet isn't mentioned on the PAL box art, while all the other tracks are. Perhaps it was a late addition, although it could just be that it wasn't mentioned because it wasn't on the F1 calendar.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I'm a huge fan of this genre and I think this game is terrible. It is almost unplayable when picking it up and if you can stand it and get used to the bad controls and physics and the bad placement of side obstacles, it becomes just boring. More boring than mediocre games like Nigel Mansell and F1 Hero, for instance.
    I agree on the side obstacles, they're a bit ridiculous. I'd also rather play Nigel Mansell (on the SNES, the Genesis version is just bleh) but I still had fun with Formula One and as far as I can tell it seems to be the first FIA licensed F1 game?

Thread Information