Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dune: The Battle for Arrakis

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -RT View Post
    Oh yeah. I'm not a fan of Dune II on PC, but Dune for Mega Drive? Awesomesauce, just loving it.

Pro tip: by pointing one of your units at another you will make it follow the unit you pointed it at. You can chain multiple units together to send them all at once or have multiple unit chains.
    Dune is a great game but Herzog Zwei is still my favorite, probably because of the two-player option. But being able to chain units is definitely one thing Dune has over Herzog. Sending a mass-attack in Herzog takes some serious controller-heroics.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentfresh View Post
    Then we both stood fast and mined as much spice as we could. But the spice does not regenerate!
    I don't recall this ever being an issue when I played the game. Then again I've only ever played Dune 2 on PC and on Genesis as Atredies. But I do remember that the Genesis version of the game just like the PC version has spice blooms that you have to find by essentially sacrificing a soldier or by shooting at them directly with forced attack commands. I need to fire it up again and confirm this but I would find it hard to believe that the spice can be fully mined on a level without a victor scenario.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Just letting people know there's a rom hack that seems to rebalance the game, while introducing new units.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4064/

And I had forgotten about my response in this thread. I recently played through the PC version again in Dosbox and on the second to last mission I did manage to fully mine all the spice. However, I was still able to eventually win the scenario because as the Atredies I had access to the Fremen. So after the spice was totally gone, both myself and the enemy eventually ran out of resources and couldn't produce anything useful. But since I had placed my rocket turrets in strategic locations, none of the saboteurs or remaining enemy forces could ever get through to my base. Whereas my Fremen troops very slowly, but eventually were able to take out enemy units. That mission ended up taking well over 6 hours in the end to complete it!

But yes I can see that if I hadn't been Atredies or had managed to build the palace, that eventually a total stalemate would have been possible because no spice to mine, no resources, and no way to have any forces attack the other. So I will have to play the genesis version to see if they corrected this. It would have been very easy to do, simply have spice blooms pop up on occasion when overall spice on the map gets below a certain level.

Thread Information