Quantcast

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3DOAge announced, thought you 3DO fans would be interested

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Default 3DOAge announced, thought you 3DO fans would be interested

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=60042

The guy keeps joking around about canceling it so who knows if this is real or not, but I've seen more than a few threads about 3DO these past few months and even some new owners, so I felt this thread was worth posting. Yes, NintendoAge has very crappy forum software, but if it means more database sites can be made easier, then it's not so bad...

Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar

I'm going to post, and than the thread will be locked seconds later!

I like 3DO, but the site will never be popular. A database of the games will always be useful though.
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=60042

The guy keeps joking around about canceling it so who knows if this is real or not, but I've seen more than a few threads about 3DO these past few months and even some new owners, so I felt this thread was worth posting. Yes, NintendoAge has very crappy forum software, but if it means more database sites can be made easier, then it's not so bad...
    I didn't keep joking about canceling the project, I posted 1 reply that said 3doage is being replaced with ngageage, and in that same reply i said just kidding about that, but 3doage is happening, methinks you misread the forum there

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

If Nintendoage and Segaage are any indications as to quality, 3DO fans would be better off without it.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I quit video games ESWAT Veteran

It's not going to happen. There were better games on the CD-i than there were on the 3DO. It's too bad, the console had a lot of potential, but it just didn't get enough quality games.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPhantom View Post
    I didn't keep joking about canceling the project, I posted 1 reply that said 3doage is being replaced with ngageage, and in that same reply i said just kidding about that, but 3doage is happening, methinks you misread the forum there
    Starting a website with a database and everything is no small matter. If you can't be serious then how can anybody else be?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiespruce View Post
    It's not going to happen. There were better games on the CD-i than there were on the 3DO. It's too bad, the console had a lot of potential, but it just didn't get enough quality games.
    Clearly you've never played a 3DO before. Stop posting in this thread.
    Last edited by Guntz; 12-12-2011 at 08:16 PM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Yeah, the 3DO is easily the Sega CD's equal in most genres and in FMV titles it is technically better. I'd like to discuss those games, and any unknown imports, but I doubt an entire dedicated forum would be very active.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiespruce View Post
    This post makes me doubt you've ever seen either a 3DO or a CD-I before.

And for the record, yes, there are good CD-I games. Pound for pound, though, the 3DO is a much better system with a much better library.
    A retarded Sonic.

I quit video games ESWAT Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TheSonicRetard View Post
    This post makes me doubt you've ever seen either a 3DO or a CD-I before.

And for the record, yes, there are good CD-I games. Pound for pound, though, the 3DO is a much better system with a much better library.
    Say what you will. I've played both, and to me, the majority of the 3DO games out there are just not fun. I've had more fun with the Atari Jaguar, which has a much smaller library of games, but still had more quality ones overall.

Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar

Eddie was being sarcastic guys. I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I doubt an entire dedicated forum would be very active.
    That`s what I`m thinking. A database would still be useful, but there's really no point in another forum.
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

The 3D0 is the minimum version of what the Sega CD should have been; the Saturn's the ideal of what the Sega CD should have been, but the 3D0, minus the liver-donor's price, is what it realistically ought to have been. Superior video, audio (my opinion), and a noncensorship policy.
    Any title available on both platforms is preferable on 3D0, except for the matter of saving.
    However it lacked the shooter category and was deficient in JP anime games; conversely it made up in early console fps (not that I'd recommend Virtuoso...). RPGs are very scant on each with Guardian War and Lucienne's Quest being more original and 32 bit than the Lunars, Popful, what have you. It's close though.

These comparisons lead to the question whether a Sega CD site would be supported had that console alone, without any software or arcade games, been published by Sega. Then double the price. (But only double, the price of the Genesis can't be ignored). I'd like to see it happen but it's not too credible. Nor does the 3D0 market need the inevitable price inflation the site would cause.

Quote Originally Posted by cheaterdragon1 View Post
    Eddie was being sarcastic guys. I guess not.

That`s what I`m thinking. A database would still be useful, but there's really no point in another forum.
    I am open and ready to add or update any 3DO database entries that anybody desires.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    The 3D0 is the minimum version of what the Sega CD should have been; the Saturn's the ideal of what the Sega CD should have been, but the 3D0, minus the liver-donor's price, is what it realistically ought to have been. Superior video, audio (my opinion), and a noncensorship policy.
    Any title available on both platforms is preferable on 3D0, except for the matter of saving.
    However it lacked the shooter category and was deficient in JP anime games; conversely it made up in early console fps (not that I'd recommend Virtuoso...). RPGs are very scant on each with Guardian War and Lucienne's Quest being more original and 32 bit than the Lunars, Popful, what have you. It's close though.

These comparisons lead to the question whether a Sega CD site would be supported had that console alone, without any software or arcade games, been published by Sega. Then double the price. (But only double, the price of the Genesis can't be ignored). I'd like to see it happen but it's not too credible. Nor does the 3D0 market need the inevitable price inflation the site would cause.
    In reality, what the Sega CD should have been, is essentially the SNES. Something like the 3DO would have been overkill on the genesis.

I disagree with your comparison of Guardian heroes vs the entire Sega CD RPG line up. I think Guardian Heroes is actually a medicore game which has been hyped up over the years by RPG starved people on the 3DO. It's not broken and it's perfectly playable, but it doesn't have the charm or polish of something like Shining Force CD, which is nothing more than a remade collection of Game Gear games. Take away Guardiana heroes graphics (which don't exactly do it for me in the first place) and you have a very no-frills SRPG.

I think the Sega CD is a much better console over all. It's not the best 2nd-tier console of the 90's -- that title belongs to the Turbo Duo -- but the Sega CD was certainly a more rounded system compared to the 3DO or Jaguar (or even 32X). If you ignore essentially every FMV game on the Sega CD (which, if you own a 3DO, is relatively easy to do since every notable FMV game was released in a superior version on that console), you're left with a console featuring excluside games in a wide variety of genres that are all of high quality, with additional ports that are near universally better their Genesis counter parts.

To eddie: I wouldn't doubt you've had a 3DO (and CDI, and Jaguar) in front of you at one point, but I do doubt you've explored the depths of each system thoroughly if you honestly believe that the Jaguar and CDI provided better games than the 3DO. Even accounting for taste, save the most specific and odd-ball tastes, most would consider the 3DO to have more games worth playing. Sitting someone down in front of a 3DO with way of the warrior, casper, and Doom, and then sitting the same person down in front of a jaguar with NBA Jam, Rayman, Super Burnout, and Doom, would probably result in them having a better opinion of the Jaguar than the 3DO. That doesn't mean they'd have an informed opinion, however.

No one is denying that the CDI and Jaguar were home to some good unknown gems - like Ultra Vortek for example - but the 3DO had way more high profile games. Stuff like Road Rash, Need for Speed, Madden, Gex, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Wing Commander 3, etc.
    A retarded Sonic.

Ultra Vortek is a game I bought on its reputation alone, and what I got was a pretty fighter unless it starts moving. During any motion everything but the characters themselves chug and skip all over the place worse than VF2 Genesis or Killer Instinct SNES ever possibly could.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Ultra Vortek is a game I bought on its reputation alone, and what I got was a pretty fighter unless it starts moving. During any motion everything but the characters themselves chug and skip all over the place worse than VF2 Genesis or Killer Instinct SNES ever possibly could.
    I agree it's sluggish, but I'd compare it more to something like Eternal Champions than, say, Kasumi Ninja. In that, you can learn to adjust to the slower gameplay and find that there is still a game under the glam. That's not to say Ultra Vortek is anywhere as good as EC: CD, but it's not bad.
    A retarded Sonic.

Thread Information