Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: any games like streets of rage 1 ?

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Anytime beat 'em up threads happen, I need to remind you all. Golden Axe III is criminally under-appreciated. That is all.

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Anytime beat 'em up threads happen, I need to remind you all. Golden Axe III is criminally under-appreciated. That is all.
    Absolutely anyone who appreciates beat em ups with depth and variety will most likely love this game. You could literally play through the game 20x's and still see something new each time. If the game had better visuals I am certain it would be regarded as an all-time classic.

In regards to the original Golden Axe. I don't see how anyone could prefer it over it's sequels without being blinded by nostalgia. It has the worst graphics, music stops for sound effects, gameplay is a tad bit clunky (I think the hit detection is fine), it's a very short playthrough.

Golden Axe 2. The combat is so much smoother. The graphics are the slightest bit better. The music is legit epic. The game is longer with adjustable difficulty. Enemy A.I. is improved slightly. The one big complaint I hear is the death sound effect which doesn't bother me in the least... bleh

Golden Axe 3. Flat out he game doesn't make the best first impression. The combat is so far and away the best in the trilogy. The graphics are the best in the trilogy but still a disapointment for it's release date. The music is consistently good. The enemy A.I. is by far the best in the series. The game is by far the longest with the best branching paths of any 16-bit beat em up.
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    Absolutely anyone who appreciates beat em ups with depth and variety will most likely love this game. You could literally play through the game 20x's and still see something new each time. If the game had better visuals I am certain it would be regarded as an all-time classic.

In regards to the original Golden Axe. I don't see how anyone could prefer it over it's sequels without being blinded by nostalgia. It has the worst graphics, music stops for sound effects, gameplay is a tad bit clunky (I think the hit detection is fine), it's a very short playthrough.

Golden Axe 2. The combat is so much smoother. The graphics are the slightest bit better. The music is legit epic. The game is longer with adjustable difficulty. Enemy A.I. is improved slightly. The one big complaint I hear is the death sound effect which doesn't bother me in the least... bleh

Golden Axe 3. Flat out he game doesn't make the best first impression. The combat is so far and away the best in the trilogy. The graphics are the best in the trilogy but still a disapointment for it's release date. The music is consistently good. The enemy A.I. is by far the best in the series. The game is by far the longest with the best branching paths of any 16-bit beat em up.
    I'm glad you agree with me about the music in Golden Axe II, it's fucking excellent! Whenever people start shitting on the Mega Drive's music it really is one of the games that shuts them up.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I have been listening to the GAIII soundtrack a lot recently. It has a lot of great tracks on it. It's a shame it wasn't released in the states, it is a really enjoyable game. I actually really enjoyed the versus multiplayer as well. The additional moves and blocking mechanic made for some fun little matches. You can play against the computer on the hardest difficulty, and it's a really fun, challenging side-game.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar

It most definitley would not. I doubt it would make many top 10 lists at that. It's always been underrated. Basically a Japanese themed Golden Axe.
    Well, I conflate game series in the list, therefore in my hypotetical list Knuckles and Axes take one spot each; which is fair I believe, since the better episodes and the weakest ones can give an average score per series.

Nameless One

Well the megadrive version of GA1 is pretty bad; due to it's wonky hit detection. But the arcade version is the to go version, and truth be told the megadrive sequels pale in comparison... I love chaining my bonuses in the arcade original by throwing enemies and than blast them with magic to play for it's arcade scoring mechanics which the megadrive versions and sequels sort of lack.

OFC there is Revenge of Death Adder which is a fine sequel. I just pretend the megadrive games don't exist tbh.

Thread Information