Quantcast

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inactivated Users Thread

That's Sir Guntz to you Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Default Inactivated Users Thread

NOTE: I do not have administrative powers on this forum. Please PM either Melf or Joe Redifier if your account needs to be activated.

I've had quite a few users from other forums PM me about having difficulty using the Sega-16 forums with their new accounts. They all realize there's security measures in place to cut down on spambots, but often a mod or admin never activates their account or for some strange reason they don't fully activate after making 10 posts. I'm hoping this thread will help to cut down on the number of legitimate users being turned away from Sega-16 because of it's sometimes-faulty security system.
    Last edited by Guntz; 05-13-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Come join us on Micro-64! My selling thread, featuring 2600 console bundles, English translated FC carts, big box PC games and more!

Hey, what users are having troubles with their account? I could forward their names to Melf and see if he can fix it for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Users who are having trouble haven't confirmed their registration. They haven't clicked on the link in the email they get when they register, which is why the forum doesn't recognize them as registered. If they register correctly, no mod or admin has to confirm them at all.

That's Sir Guntz to you Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Isn't there supposed to be a message saying that after you initially register? I wouldn't know since it's been so long since I first registered here.

At the moment, SamSpade and TheAnalogKid are having difficulty registering. There's probably more. Should the first post of this thread be edited to better explain the registration process?

Come join us on Micro-64! My selling thread, featuring 2600 console bundles, English translated FC carts, big box PC games and more!

That's weird. People have been PMing me for a couple of months now saying that their friends can get registered. They specifically say that their account needs approval. I tell them that I can't and only Melf can do it. I'd check the settings in the Admin control panel but I don't have permission. Might be something checked or unchecked that should be the opposite. If not, then it could be a forum bug.

My theory is this is a holdover from when we did actually approve each member as a form of fighting spam. I set it up to do that but changed it when we came up with the question and answer scenario. The forum is probably sending new users to the wrong usergroup. I can't see what its doing from here, though.
    Last edited by Joe Redifer; 12-23-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Was it the COPPA registration system? I've seen a few new members with this problem that were put in the COPPA group awaiting approval. Had you disabled it before?

Yeah that's it. It was enabled and then I disabled it, putting members right into Registered Users after answering the questions and verifying e-mail. But be careful, there is another usergroup that is named very similar (it could be Registered Users itself) that has some weird privileges that users eventually graduated out of over time. Not sure if I ever deleted the group.

Probational users. I think they needed to post ten times before "graduating" to registered users. I think we should keep that one, but COPPA can definitely go.

Was it turned on?

COPPA was on, so I turned it off. Probational users are still in effect, though.

Master of Shinobi EclecticGroove's Avatar

Yeah, I had this problem registering. I got the activation e-mail, clicked it, it said activation successful, but that I needed an admin to approve... and it just sat there for a few days before the account disappeared and I'd start the whole process over. I messaged someone here on another board and they were awesome enough to look into it for me

Yeah, I've got a buddy too Melf who's been trying to register with no luck, name is JustRob. Think you can hook him up with an acceptance or at least turn off something to make registration less strict? I'm sure there's plenty of other people out there who have been trying to register and can't.

Good to have you on-board EclecticGroove!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi EclecticGroove's Avatar

Strict isn't bad... but it just seems like there's something broken. Either it's throwing people in via a manual process that shouldn't be happening (as no one is regularly checking it) Or there is something not coming up for everyone to prove they are not a spambot when they click the registration link.

Wildside Expert

it seems there are more users with similar problems.
    aodinets and flashpo1nt can't post anything or download attachments - the following message is displayed
    you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    confirmation mail:
    6d2f7206d5c3.jpg

is this normal?

It works! Thx!!!

Thread Information