Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't you bring back Nei in Phantasy Star II

Sports Talker

Default Why can't you bring back Nei in Phantasy Star II

(And I am obviously not talking about the Sega Ages remake where you can.)

When you play through the game, you get told that she can't be brought back by the clone labs because she's not human. But you've been previously able to being her back earlier in the game, so that doesn't make any sense.

One explanation I heard is that in the original, the clone labs were hospitals and can't bring back the dead and you couldn't bring her back because she's dead. I am very skeptical of this explanation; for one thing, the Phantasy Star text adventures (which are what reminded me of this to begin with) really do have a clone lab in them.

Another explanation I heard is that in the original, her data was missing for some reason. Except why in the world would it be?

Anyone know the deal?

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I know there is a way to keep using her even after her death, I think the code was known back in the day too.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

after you destroy Climatrol & NeiFirst, the mosters die off.
    Nei, is a monster.

Nei can defeat NeiFirst tho...
    (yes, thats me playing)

Quote Originally Posted by arromdee2 View Post
    When you play through the game, you get told that she can't be brought back by the clone labs because she's not human. But you've been previously able to being her back earlier in the game, so that doesn't make any sense.
    Except no, the clone labs remains closed until Nei dies (storywise). Loophole closed.

Quote Originally Posted by arromdee2 View Post
    One explanation I heard is that in the original, the clone labs were hospitals and can't bring back the dead and you couldn't bring her back because she's dead. I am very skeptical of this explanation; for one thing, the Phantasy Star text adventures (which are what reminded me of this to begin with) really do have a clone lab in them.

Another explanation I heard is that in the original, her data was missing for some reason. Except why in the world would it be?
    Play Nei's text adventure and you'll eventually find out.

I remember there being a way to keep her as a character using Moon Dew or something. You'd have to level up Shir for a while to get it first, though.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Except no, the clone labs remains closed until Nei dies (storywise).
    Okay, it's been ages since I actually played the game, I didn't remember that.

So you're saying that, in fact, it was that way in the original after all and all the rumors about it being a translation error are just rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I remember there being a way to keep her as a character using Moon Dew or something. You'd have to level up Shir for a while to get it first, though.
    that just brings her back during the fight, she still dies after the fight.
    moon dew doesnt work after the fight.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I did that back in the day. I got Shir high enough and then entered and exited the library until I stole several Moon Dews. Nei comes back during the fight just like any other character and after Neifirst is defeated, the game continues no different than if you hadn't revived Nei.

There isn't a definite logical explanation in the Genesis version. It just suited the story. There was no need to blow up Palma either, other than making the game and sequel (IV) less good.

Take into account that for the Moon Dew item you could easily argue the character had just fainted and not really died.

But yeah, the "explanation" is in the text adventure (indirectly, it's damn subtle), and if you get to that point in the story after having played the main game, suddenly you feel like raging because turns out there was a way to prevent it in the first place and you never let it happen =S

OK, guess that's too much of a spoiler x_X;

PS: who the hell thought that having the backstory for all the characters in separate text adventures was a good idea? Especially when they never ended up making their way out of Japan (good eventually they got fantranslated).

Quote Originally Posted by ThugsRook View Post
    after you destroy Climatrol & NeiFirst, the mosters die off.
    Nei, is a monster.

Nei can defeat NeiFirst tho...
    (yes, thats me playing)
    Seems to me that it explains it right there. Nei says that she can't exist without Nei first.
    556 552 557 279 725

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Seems to me that it explains it right there. Nei says that she can't exist without Nei first.
    Yeah, I had never seen that alternative story segment before, very impressive!

The only way I've seen it is Nei getting aced hands down by Nei First and you can't bring her back.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Yeah, I had never seen that alternative story segment before, very impressive!

The only way I've seen it is Nei getting aced hands down by Nei First and you can't bring her back.
    Ah. I haven't actually played Phantasy Star 2. Actually that's kind of impressive that they scripted different responses based on the battle's outcome. Many other RPGs would just shoe horn in a cutscene regardless how the battle actually played out.
    556 552 557 279 725

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

It's a catch 22. Nei First is the original Nei and your Nei separated from her because she was evil. So in order to bring back Nei you would have to resurrect Nei First, but you can't do that because she was evil.

I remember the first time I played PS2, and meeting Nei First. It was like a bomb had dropped. Nei is one of my favorite video game heroines.

Funfact: "Nei" is a word of power.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

It's still a lame cop-out to kill off a character like that, in a world where you clone your fallen party members all the time, then have the game acknowledge that, but say that this is the one exception. If Nei just died like a character in any other RPG and the game left it at that, it wouldn't seem out of place. But to have the resurrection method of the game brought in to it breaks the separation of story and game mechanics.

Did Neithird and Neifourth also spontaneously die in different parts of the universe at the exact same moment? If killing Neifirst with Nei still leaves Nei dead, then why doesn't Neifirst killing Nei also kill Neifirst?
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 01-04-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It's still a lame cop-out to kill off a character like that, in a world where you clone your fallen party members all the time, then have the game acknowledge that, but say that this is the one exception. If Nei just died like a character in any other RPG and the game left it at that, it wouldn't seem out of place. But to have the resurrection method of the game brought in to it breaks the separation of story and game mechanics.

Did Neithird and Neifourth also spontaneously die in different parts of the universe at the exact same moment? If killing Neifirst with Nei still leaves Nei dead, then why doesn't Neifirst killing Nei also kill Neifirst?
    all of the biomonsters died with the death of NeiFirst and the destruction of Climatrol. Nei, was a biomonster.

thats why there are no more monsters to kill, but security forces and mechs insted.

Thread Information