Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Samurai Shodown (SNES vs. Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis vs. Sega Mega CD)

Road Rasher

Default Samurai Shodown (SNES vs. Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis vs. Sega Mega CD)

Samurai Shodown is considered to be one of the games that put SNK on the map. It became so popular that it was ported to nearly every system at the time. The 16-bit ports (not counting the Neo Geo AES version since it is the same as the arcade version) include the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom, Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis, and Sega CD/Mega CD. It was also ported to the Sega Game Gear, Nintendo Game Boy (with Super Game Boy support), and 3DO Interactive Multiplayer systems. Between the Sega CD/Mega CD, SNES, and Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis ports, which one is the best and which one is the worst?
    Last edited by Josh; 09-05-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Love, Peace and Snack Bar Road Rasher VGTM's Avatar

Once again, Neo Geo version is the best. If not at least try the 3DO version (if $700 bucks is worth it to you) The Mega CD version freezes once you reach the final boss. As a result, JVC (whom was responsible for porting the game to Sega CD, which they cloned under the name X'Eye) gave dissapointed users a copy of Fatal Fury Special on the same system. No bug fix for the SCD version of Samurai Showdown is known to be published. Plus, both the Sega CD and Genesis versions don't have the fighter Earthquake or camera zoom, resulting in the fighters being in your face all the time. In the SNES version, in contrast, the characters are way too damn small. The Neo Geo and 3DO ports, on the other hand, are just right.
    WARNING: The post above may or may not be utter nonsense, but it's best to assume that it is.

Hard Road! Raging in the Streets Barone's Avatar

The options gave by the OP did NOT include Neo Geo or 3DO.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiespruce View Post
    There were better games on the CD-i than there were on the 3DO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    That is definitely true. SNES games are overall more well-balanced. The Mega Drive has many more (extremely) difficult games for no other reason than bad game balance and sometimes shitty controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    Rondo of Blood? Dracula X? Really? Everyone with any sense recognizes they're vastly inferior to SCIV. Especially in terms of controls, if nothing else. Anyway, I agree with A Black Falcon 100%.

Just stating the ports he did mention are not worth it if he's looking for the best port.
    WARNING: The post above may or may not be utter nonsense, but it's best to assume that it is.

I have the one thats one the SNK arcade collection for PS2 and thats the only one I want or need.

A lot of people on this forum do not seem to grasp the fun that can be had when comparing old ports,
    too many a times do I come here and see a thread titled "better port, Snes or Genesis?" only to be greeted by a "DERP ARCADE MAME IS DA ONLY BEST SOLUTION THESE DAYS"

Yeah we know!! but don't you guys remember the old days? when most of us only had one console? we didn't have the money for both or an expensive NeoGeo,
    and we certainly didn't have a power PC with mame.

Seriously guys, when we do these comparison threads lets just stick to the idea that it's still 1992 mmmkay?
    I don't need to be constantly reminded of the fact that Xbox Live now has a crappy emulation for download,
    or the fact that the PS2 has a "collection" disc. (which are only emulated in the end anyway)

I just want to moan that the Genesis version lacks color and the Snes has chibi sprites!
    Iím tired of pretending Iím not a total bitchiní rock star from Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    A lot of people on this forum do not seem to grasp the fun that can be had when comparing old ports,
    too many a times do I come here and see a thread titled "better port, Snes or Genesis?" only to be greeted by a "DERP ARCADE MAME IS DA ONLY BEST SOLUTION THESE DAYS"

Yeah we know!! but don't you guys remember the old days? when most of us only had one console? we didn't have the money for both or an expensive NeoGeo,
    and we certainly didn't have a power PC with mame.

Seriously guys, when we do these comparison threads lets just stick to the idea that it's still 1992 mmmkay?
    I don't need to be constantly reminded of the fact that Xbox Live now has a crappy emulation for download,
    or the fact that the PS2 has a "collection" disc. (which are only emulated in the end anyway)

I just want to moan that the Genesis version lacks color and the Snes has chibi sprites!
    They may be emulated but if I can get a superior version of the game for a lot cheaper than I will do that. I have no idea how much Samurai Shodown sells for these days on SNES or Genesis but its probably more expensive then getting the Samurai Shodown or SNK collections on PS2. Yeah its emulated and but still better than over paying for inferior ports (SNES/Genesis)

Hard Road! Raging in the Streets Barone's Avatar

Who cares, DarkDragon?

The fuckin' OP stated "Between the Sega Mega CD, SNES, and Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis ports, which one is the best and which one is the worst?"
    If you can't answer that, please, do not full us with this common PSx's collections bullcrap.

If the guy was looking for arcade versions he would have stated that. By the way, he is very experienced on fighting games, he knows it much better than you.

If you want to talk about your countless emulated collections create another thread, I'm pretty sure that many other guys like you will enjoy it. But some other guys still enjoy comparison between ports that used to be reprogrammed rather than cheaply emulated using infinite superior hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiespruce View Post
    There were better games on the CD-i than there were on the 3DO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    That is definitely true. SNES games are overall more well-balanced. The Mega Drive has many more (extremely) difficult games for no other reason than bad game balance and sometimes shitty controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    Rondo of Blood? Dracula X? Really? Everyone with any sense recognizes they're vastly inferior to SCIV. Especially in terms of controls, if nothing else. Anyway, I agree with A Black Falcon 100%.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

You're all wrong, the best version is on MVS, in all it's arcade glory! The game is dirt cheap nowadays, I got this one for $10.

Come join us on Micro-64! My selling thread, featuring English translated FC carts, big box PC games and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunz
    You're all wrong, the best version is on MVS, in all it's arcade glory!
    When I said the Neo Geo version, I meant AES, MVS, or CD. Either shall do.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    By the way, he is very experienced on fighting games
    Thank you for the compliment, agostinhobaroners.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VGTM View Post
    When I said the Neo Geo version, I meant AES, MVS, or CD. Either shall do.
    I think you missed my joke... Work with me here, I even took a photo of the real deal and everything...

Come join us on Micro-64! My selling thread, featuring English translated FC carts, big box PC games and more!

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

I was about do a series on this game, text only..I know people played it, I don't have to show any youtube vids about it

Road Rasher

My thoughts on the 16-bit ports of Samurai Shodown.

1. SNES

I'd say that the SNES port is the best one. The attacks use the same button combinations as the arcade version, all of the cutscene graphics are present along with the arcade intro graphics and character victory art, the sound quality is quite good, the music is decent, nearly all of the speech is present, and the game isn't too difficult or too easy. It also has all of the characters from the arcade game and all of the endings are here as well. The final boss is playable in versus mode and countdown mode with a cheat code. The main complaint I hear from people regarding this port is that the character sprites are small; honestly that's never really bugged me and I actually kind of like it. The lack of red blood (which is colored orange here) and the inability to kill your opponent sort of sucks. Despite those issues, the gameplay is still intact with very little slowdown. A pretty good port overall.

2. Sega CD

This version has more voices than the Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive port and the attack animations match-up with the original buttons that the arcade version used. The character victory art is present as well. Earthquake is missing and so is his arena and stage music. The music is ripped straight from the arcade version and the opening sequence contains the Japanese speech. The animation and color palette selection are better in some spots than the Genesis version and vice-versa. A decent port overall.

3. Sega Genesis

Most of the voices had to be cut from this port, namely the announcer. The intro no longer has the original graphics and just displays the text instead. The character victory art is missing and Earthquake is also gone. The characters are large and the environments are well detailed. The music is great and the sound effects are good. The final boss is playable in versus mode without the need of cheats. Unfortunately, the three button control layout sucks, some attacks have been switched around with different buttons, the CPU difficulty is unbelievable and the game has major slowdown issues. Parts of some endings have been cut as well, such the part of Hanzo's ending where it shows him instructing a ninja. Unless you want to play every port of Samurai Shodown, I wouldn't bother with this one.
    Last edited by Josh; 08-01-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VGTM View Post
    The Mega CD version freezes once you reach the final boss. As a result, JVC (whom was responsible for porting the game to Sega CD, which they cloned under the name X'Eye) gave dissapointed users a copy of Fatal Fury Special on the same system. No bug fix for the SCD version of Samurai Showdown is known to be published.
    I remember reading at least one person's comment saying that he didn't have this problem with the final boss in SS. Has the bug been confirmed present in every region, or with every hardware configuration?
    The Umbrellahead Review: where the movies are B and the packages large.

Thread Information