Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the compatibility of the Retron 3 console?

Default What's the compatibility of the Retron 3 console?

I'd like to get one of these and put my original hardware to a rest. I know that these clone consoles are incompatible with some games. Retro Duo is probably the best of them in this regards but it doesn't support Genesis games. So is there an info on the Retron 3 compatibility?

Master of Shinobi

Hard to say, there are conflicting reports of what is an isn't compatible with the clones.
    For instance, I've heard people say SuperFX games don't work from some people, only to be told that they do work by others.
    I've been told that some games have "buggy" sound, only to find out for myself that they don't.

That's Sir Guntz to you Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Just curious, why do you want to put your original hardware to "rest"? There's nothing wrong with them...

Come join us on Micro-64! My selling thread, featuring English translated FC carts, big box PC games and more!

fka christuserloeser ESWAT Veteran retrospiel's Avatar

I think there were some sound issues with the later models. The earlier models were ALMOST perfect if I remember correctly.

You might wanna do a forum search. Ace posted some indepth reports and comparisons about the two revisions that have been released so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    Sega's worst damn enemy was (and continues to be) Sega.
    189 157 262 502 517 659 220 556 112

Love, Peace and Snack Bar Road Rasher VGTM's Avatar

Genny: Virtua Racing, 32X, and Power Converter will OBVIOUSLY not work

NES: Castlevania III

SNES: I wouldn't take your chances with any Super FX games or Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Try the Super Genintari instead. It has no compatibility issues and it plays more games.
    WARNING: The post above may or may not be utter nonsense, but it's best to assume that it is.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

I heard the Power Base Converter does work on it..you need to take the shell off

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

WARNING: Video overload ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by VGTM View Post
    Genny: Virtua Racing, 32X, and Power Converter will OBVIOUSLY not work
    The bold part is COMPLETELY wrong and I have proof. Watch these comparison videos I posted on YouTube:

Version 1:

Version 2:

Now, granted, you can't physically fit the official Sega Power Base Converter into the console without either disassembling the converter or using a cartridge slot extension(NOT the Game Genie, but one of those older import adapters with no switches on them), but the signal needed to switch the GOAC in the RetroN3 to Master System mode is there and it works.

Now sadly, unlike the Genesis 3, you CANNOT make Virtua Racing work on the RetroN3 without soldering to the absolutely TINY pins of the GOAC. Faking the !CE_H signal like on the VA2 Genesis 3 by linking pin B26 to B16 works only for a few seconds. Afterwards, the graphics glitch and the game crashes.

Also, if you want to get an idea of what Genesis games are like on the RetroN3 Version 1 and Version 2, watch these videos:

NES: Castlevania III
    Only the RetroN3 Version 1 doesn't work with Castlevania III(and won't work with Rad Racer II or Tengen's After Burner, either). The Version 2 will play Castlevania III and Rad Racer II perfectly, but while it works with After Burner, the game has severe graphical errors.

Some NES controllers don't even work right or at all on the RetroN3(it doesn't matter whether it's the Version 1 or Version 2, they both have the same problem). The Zapper doesn't work right as pulling the trigger too hard seems to cause the system not to register that you've actually pulled the trigger(you need to move it very gently) and neither the NES Advantage nor NES Max work on the system.

The biggest problem with the NOAC in the RetroN3, though, is the audio. Once again, Famiclone manufacturers just can't seem to stay away from these crap NOACs which reverse the 50% and 75% sound channel duties, causing several sounds to come out at the wrong pitch. Watch these clips I uploaded of the RetroN3 Version 1 and Version 2 to see what I mean(I still need to upload more videos of the NES side of the RetroN3 Version 1 and Version 2):

SNES: I wouldn't take your chances with any Super FX games or Street Fighter Alpha 2.
    For the love of God, who the hell keeps spreading this FALSE INFORMATION ABOUT SUPERFX GAMES?! THEY WORK FINE! With Street Fighter Alpha 2, though, there are conflicting reports of it working on the RetroN3. I know it CAN work, but some people still claim it doesn't work, so I don't know if it's a case like Super Mario RPG where only some copies of the game will work(those that don't check for a lockout chip in the console).

But I highly suggest you DO NOT BUY a RetroN3 unless it's the Version 1. The Version 2 is FULL of problems. It improves the NES side a bit by improving compatibility and making the audio louder(although oddly enough, the audio is high-pass filtered - low frequencies aren't all that strong), but the Genesis side is 99.9% unchanged(the only thing different about it is that the screen doesn't darken when pressing buttons on original Genesis controllers) and the Super NES side IS A F***ING MESS! Watch these 5 videos to see and hear the horror that is the RetroN3 Version 2:

WARNING: Keep some earmuffs handy for the last video!

And here's what Super NES games are like on the RetroN3 Version 1:

I've only found 3 issues with the Super NES side of the RetroN3 Version 1:

-Low volume with flawed Stereo separation due to the way the NES side's Mono audio is split into dual Mono(just like the Genesis side)
    -VERY dark Composite video
    -Overly bright S-Video with dull colors

I wish Yobo wasn't so bent on using their own controllers with a modified Famiclone controller port(same pinout, different shape) on the FC3 Plus(that simple fact kills what is otherwise my favorite of the 3-in-1 clones). Aside from an inferior NOAC, the GOAC is better(this one DOES work with Virtua Racing and DOES work to a certain extent with the Sega 32X) and the Super NES side, while having garbled audio in some games, is MUCH more listenable than the RetroN3 Version 2. The biggest issue I have with the FC3 Plus is the fact the audio is in MONO on all 3 sides. This is the reason why the Super NES side has garbled audio; the audio signals from the cloned SPC700 and the Super GameBoy(two pins on the cartridge slot) are all mixed BEFORE being amplified. I know from personal experience that doing this causes the audio to become garbled in certain instances. I still think the FC3 Plus is the better clone because, as I say, what good is compatibility with a problem game if you can't even bear playing the damn game because of something that's been so badly screwed up you can't even stand listening to the game(just as an example)?

I'm going to dig up the official RetroN3 thread and post all this information there.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Master of Shinobi

I think Ace just won this thread.

I quit video games ESWAT Veteran

That's some great comparisons, Ace!

Rep'd

That's Sir Guntz to you Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

And the Kool Kitty Award goes to...

Come join us on Micro-64! My selling thread, featuring English translated FC carts, big box PC games and more!

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    And the Kool Kitty Award goes to...
    It had to be done.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Master of Shinobi

I think a lot of the FUD about the clones comes from hardware snobs. From what I've seen in your vids, while nothing runs anything as good as original hardware, these multi-clones do a damned respectable job.
    Last edited by Bastardcat; 01-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.

fka christuserloeser ESWAT Veteran retrospiel's Avatar

I don't think anyone said that clones aren't potentially awesome. It's just that there's been zero improvement with the Famiclones during the past ten years.

The crappy shit that AtGames sells aren't clones. They're 32-bit machines running emulators, and awful ones at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    Sega's worst damn enemy was (and continues to be) Sega.
    189 157 262 502 517 659 220 556 112

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

I reped you Ace

Master of Shinobi

I think the whole board repped Ace.
    If they didn't then they're commies!

Thread Information