Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the compatibility of the Retron 3 console?

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

I got rep from 5 people. (CORRECTION: Make that 6 people)

You know, putting up that giant post had me thinking: Sega-16 should have a giant clone console mega thread. What do you guys think?
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Master of Shinobi

I love that idea, so hard!

Well, I'd better start organizing all my information I have on the various clones I've tested! I also invite anyone who has information on clones I haven't been able to test first-hand to share what you've experienced with said clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Is it possible to replace the transistor's in the Retron3 Ace??

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

A clone thread might get really complicated before you're done... What if Ace just made a few different articles for Sega-16 on the subject of clone hardware with the ins, outs and final score for that particular machine? I think that'd be better and more people would see the information. We could post in each clone's official thread too (in the Features subforum).

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWarrior View Post
    Is it possible to replace the transistor's in the Retron3 Ace??
    It is entirely possible, but completely unnecessary. The Super NES side's horrid audio appears to be caused by the resistors BEFORE the transistors which are too weak. The FC3 Plus and RetroN3 actually share a similar audio amp on the Super NES side(with the FC3 Plus obviously using a single amp with Super GameBoy audio left/right and SPC700 audio left/right all combined into one signal before entering the amp). The reason behind the RetroN3 Version 2's excessive high-pass filtering and immense distortion is because those resistors are a measly 2.2KOhms. On the FC3 Plus, they're 33KOhms. I'd need a RetroN3 Version 2 for myself so I can confirm this, but judging by the FC3 Plus' Mono version of this amp, the sound should be pretty good because on the FC3 Plus, the Super NES audio is just as deep and powerful as an original-model Super NES.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    A clone thread might get really complicated before you're done... What if Ace just made a few different articles for Sega-16 on the subject of clone hardware with the ins, outs and final score for that particular machine? I think that'd be better and more people would see the information. We could post in each clone's official thread too (in the Features subforum).
    That's actually a pretty good idea. And I think I'll go for it. I'd mention the following:

-What comes in the box
    -Build quality
    -Full playtest with all my games for that particular system
    -Testing of all accessories I have for the system the clone I'm trying is trying to replicate
    -What it gets right and what it doesn't
    -A look at the hardware
    -Mods
    -Final verdict

How's that?

Master of Shinobi

I think that's a good list of criteria.

Ace - Do you have any Street Fighter 2 games on the SNES and the Genesis to test on the Retron3 ..I would like to see that

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    That's actually a pretty good idea. And I think I'll go for it. I'd mention the following:

-What comes in the box
    -Build quality
    -Full playtest with all my games for that particular system
    -Testing of all accessories I have for the system the clone I'm trying is trying to replicate
    -What it gets right and what it doesn't
    -A look at the hardware
    -Mods
    -Final verdict

How's that?
    That's an excellent check list. Most of that would definitely appeal to people like the OP who are interested in clone systems. The nuts and bolts might be a bit much for the casual crowd so keep that in mind. Other than that, I'd love to see you submit some features on clone hardware, they would be an awesome addition to the site. Go PM Melf about it! It's just the kind of material Sega-16 could use in this age of clone hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWarrior View Post
    Ace - Do you have any Street Fighter 2 games on the SNES and the Genesis to test on the Retron3 ..I would like to see that
    The only one I have is Super Street Fighter II for the Genesis, which is shown in these videos:

That's an excellent check list. Most of that would definitely appeal to people like the OP who are interested in clone systems. The nuts and bolts might be a bit much for the casual crowd so keep that in mind. Other than that, I'd love to see you submit some features on clone hardware, they would be an awesome addition to the site. Go PM Melf about it! It's just the kind of material Sega-16 could use in this age of clone hardware.
    I'll be sure to PM him about this.

Both versons of Retron3 has low sound for Super SF2 and VR

In Ken Stage the Music doesn't sound right in V2..I would have donated SF2, SF2 Turbo and Super SF2 on the SNES to test, but I'm in a bind with Money & I don't trust Canada Post now

Okay. I've read some reviews and decided to get Retro Duo instead.

Other than that, I'd love to see you submit some features on clone hardware, they would be an awesome addition to the site. Go PM Melf about it! It's just the kind of material Sega-16 could use in this age of clone hardware.
    I've just PMed Melf about this. We'll see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    Okay. I've read some reviews and decided to get Retro Duo instead.
    I hope you're handy with a soldering iron because the audio on the NES side of the RetroDuo is ATROCIOUS! Here's another big wall of videos to show you what I mean(not as big as with the RetroN3, but it's still 8 videos):

Don't tell me that's not f***ing nasty. This is from a RetroDuo v2.0, but even the newest RetroDuo v3.0 sounds this horrible. Pay close attention to Castlevania II in this German video to see what I mean(the RetroDuo v3.0 is shown here):

Ignore The Legend of Zelda's audio; that's a natural thing that happens when you use a PAL cartridge on an NTSC NES or Famiclone. Castlevania II, on the other hand, perfectly demonstrates the absolutely MURDERED NES audio of the RetroDuo. It's like the Super NES side of the RetroN3 Version 2.
    Last edited by Ace; 01-04-2012 at 02:30 PM.

The Retro Duo is the King of Clones, but the NES side they messed up

Ace - My Retro Duo (NES Side) keeps crashing on SMB3 and SMB2(J) Loopys Hack at Random Spots..I have to tast more when I get home..

and it very hard to take out NES Games as well my Honeybee Adapter for Famicom Games

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I hope you're handy with a soldering iron because the audio on the NES side of the RetroDuo is ATROCIOUS!
    Thanks, it doesn't look hard. I used to solder laptop guts while working at a repair center.

Thread Information