Quantcast

Thread: FIFA Soccer '96 (32X)

Megadrive FIFA Soccer '96 (32X)

Sandwiched between the 16-bit and true 32-bit versions, FIFA Soccer í96 for the 32X is a middle child that actually deserves its neglect. It does nothing to stand out, and it offers little reason for a purchase over its siblings outside of collecting. Still, itís undoubtedly the best soccer game on the 32X. Read our full write up for more details.

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

I've thought about hunting down FIFA '96 for the 32X for a few years, and though it rarely appears online, within the past year I have seen it pop up on eBay two times, both of them going for around $20-$30. Granted, I wasn't expecting much out of it anyway, and this review proves it for the most part, but if I was to find it for a fair-enough price I might still try to grab a copy for myself.

Also, how many 32X games are left to review now? Two, maybe three?

Slam City with Scotty Pippen, Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Surgical Strike.

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Slam City with Scotty Pippen, Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Surgical Strike.
    So close, yet so far... Especially since one of those games is Japan-only and text-heavy, and another is Brazil-only. Interesting that Slam City 32X still has not been reviewed, though.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordGeo View Post
    So close, yet so far... Especially since one of those games is Japan-only and text-heavy, and another is Brazil-only. Interesting that Slam City 32X still has not been reviewed, though.
    Someone on here, can't remember who, had comprehensively beaten and charted out Slam City. I'd love to see a review of it from them.

I think it'll be a long wait for Surgical Strike, but it'd be great if one of our members fluent in Japanese could play through Sangokushi IV. Most Koei games are functionally identical between platforms, right?

Don't forget about Primal Rage too.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Even if the gameplay has flaws, it's pretty cool that it's a 32X sports game that actually makes use of the hardware. Unless you count Slam City, that makes it essentially the only one -- the 32X baseball and football games are all just Genesis ports, but this one was a much more ambitious effort that actually did something you couldn't do on the Genesis. I think that's worth some praise... I like that they didn't do just another Genesis port, unlike EA's other 32X sports game, Toughman Contest.

(Oh, and the first FIFA game with one of these 3d fields was the 1994 3DO version, correct? Then this one, released in 1995-1996, was the second.)

Jizzed in my pants... NOT Raging in the Streets M4R14NO94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordGeo View Post
    Well, I learnt two things now:

1) Surgical Strike has a 32X version
    2) It only saw release in Brazil

A Black Falcon: Yup, the 3DO FIFA was the first one with the 3D field
    Links and stuffz:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LanceBoyle94
    www.youtube.com/user/M4R14NO94
    http://lanceboyles.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Weird Al" Yankovic (on the AL-TV "interview" with Kevin Federline)
    Really? You mean like if someone got right up on your face and said that you're an IGNORANT, NO-TALENT WHITE TRASH, FORTUNE SQUANDERING VANILLA ICE WANNABE LOSER, you'd be okay with that?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    , but it'd be great if one of our members fluent in Japanese could play through Sangokushi IV. Most Koei games are functionally identical between platforms, right?
    Well, I ain't fluent in japanese. But as far as I can tell, the 32x-, SNES- and Saturn-Versions of "Romance of the three Kingdoms IV" play virtually alike. I also got the english manual to the Saturn version, which has the same button layout as the 32x-game does. So by playing the two versions side-by-side (taking random events and variations in battle outcomes into account) it should be possible to create an accurate review of the japanese game.

The only problem is that these KOEI-games are very time-consuming, and I hardly find the time to play games at all atm. Should I have a free week or so, though, I'd love to tackle that game as well, so that the coverage of all 32x-games may soon be complete.

Surgical Strike Cd32x should still be a problem, though, since it's incredibly rare.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Thread Information