Quantcast

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657

Thread: Anyone here who doesnt like the Saturn ?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    You'd think that, but noisy power can do weird things it shouldn't. Our house had terrible power quality until we had the circuit breaker rebuilt.(Recall that my eldest bro got the consoles in 1995-1996, and it wasn't til 1997 when we got our first Pentium MMX computer, that we got the breaker rebuilt.) Also, I haven't the foggiest idea how my brother was treating them, they were his consoles and I wasn't allowed anywhere near his stuff until I was much older.

I figured the load a Saturn would put on a UPS wouldn't probably be enough to cause a UPS to kick over in a brown/blackout situation; I'd probably have to run my CRT TV from same UPS as well to 'help' it. But that isn't the point; the idea is to use a UPS mainly as a power filter. (Yeah, I know I could just use a Tripp-Lite isobar for that, but I do like the theoretical advantage of having a UPS...)

The rationale for all that, is to see if it really was noisy power that was responsible for our Saturns being such piles of junk. If a different Saturn I get runs hunky-dory from a UPS/isobar (meaning no crashes/lockups, kick-outs to the CD menu, etc.), then that would at least be a plausible explanation for me. Consider it an academic post-mortem analysis more than anything.
    Ok, well i will clear up a few points here for you now.

Im an electrician by trade, with over 20 years experience in both domestic and commercial.

Circuit breakers do not cause the issues you speak of. All they do is provide protection to circuit, in the event of a load exceeding what the cable within the circuit is designed to carry, the circuit breaker protects the cable and connections within the circuit from damage due to over-curent. That is all it does. It cant cause dirty power. You dont rebuild domestic circuit breakers. Theyre worth about $3-$50, and are NON-SERVICABLE.

The power supply within the Sega Saturn is a switch-mode type, A/C supply is fed into the input, and in this instance, there is 2 or 3 D/C voltage outputs, depending on the model of Saturn.

A switch-mode power supply is a device that will supply a regulated output, that will remain very stable regardless of input voltage or applied load, as long as applied load is within designed limits of the supply. This regulated output will remain stable even if supply voltage rises or falls considerably, as long as it is within operational tollerances of the A/C input side.

A battery backup supply, or UPS, does nothing at all as long as A/C supply is applied to it's input. When there is no input supply, the UPS will then provide an A/C supply, closely matching that of the mains.

There are some concerns there though, in that vast majority of UPS devices DO NOT provide a sinusiodal output. This means they have a square-wave output, which is far from ideal.

The general operation of a UPS is that if the incoming supply is within tollerance, the relay on the UPS remains open, and the A/C supply bypasses the whole thing and flows straight out the outlets untouched. If the A/C supply goes outside of the parameters set by the manufacturer of the UPS, the relay will close, meaning the A/C supply from the outlets if now provided by the internal batteries.

Regardless of the load you have connected to the UPS, it will feed that load with A/C power unless it either runs out of battery power, or the load is too large for the UPS and it shuts down on over-load condition.

So with all that said, not only is the UPS idea going to do nothing for you apart from save you from losing your spot in a game in the event of a power outage, inconsistant mains supply will have no affect on the D/C side of a switch mode power supply.

OK, so if the UPS won't amount to much and if you really think my nasty old circuit breaker back in the old house wasn't a problem, what could possibly cause dirty power? Our old house was built sometime in the 1960s. (And for that matter, any recommendations on UPSes that provide something resembling a sinusoidal output? I'd like my main computer to be comparatively safe someday...)

Also, we had an electrician come in and literally service the box. I said he rebuilt it, as he replaced a lot of parts in it, including the switches. The old breaker switches were tripping on low loads, smoking, etc. This was back in 1997, as he was also adding a line just for our then-new Pentium MMX computer (as at the time we were having issues with the machine, and this electrician convinced my parents that it might be dirty power...) The neighborhood we lived in was a residential one, fairly typical I suppose, though we were prone to having lots of power outages when the wind picked up. (There were lots of power poles everywhere, and it was in a then moderately wooded area.) We did have a fairly basic breaker box, I don't remember what circuits were shared with what anymore (I moved out of that house sometime in 2011).

Again, I don't know how my older bro treated those two systems, I only got my grimy mitts on them some time in the Bush era (ca. 2001-2004). I'd assume that he treated it with reasonable care, but I can't honestly 100% say.
    Last edited by Eep386; 02-12-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Road Rasher

Yes he rebuilt the switch board, it is the unit that houses the circuit breakers and fuses that distribute power throughout your home.

Dirty or noisy power will be a product of the grid supply, not really related to your home.

The difference between that electrician and me is that i have nothing to gain from telling you stories, and im in Australia, our electricians here are trained to some of the highest standards in the world. Our credentials are recognised in most countries, where as an American electrical qualification is not recognised here, more training is required to obtain an Australian licence. Not to say you dont have good electricians there, but chances of getting a wire jerker is far higher over there than here. Performing any kind of electrical work here requires a licence, and that is 4 years training to obtain.

A UPS that provides sinusoidal output is going to cost you an arm and a leg. Thousands of dollars. Itll be pretty large, heavy, and possibly not the quietest thing in your home either.

A better option would be a good quality solar/battery inverter, which wont really function as a UPS straight out of the box, and itll still cost a fair packet to get a good one.

A filtered isolation transformer may help, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

Road Rasher

Unless there was a significantly sized electric motor in the home somewhere that had no power factor correction, the chances of anything else in your home causing issues would be very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by CasetheCorvetteman View Post
    Yes he rebuilt the switch board, it is the unit that houses the circuit breakers and fuses that distribute power throughout your home.

Dirty or noisy power will be a product of the grid supply, not really related to your home.

The difference between that electrician and me is that i have nothing to gain from telling you stories, and im in Australia, our electricians here are trained to some of the highest standards in the world. Our credentials are recognised in most countries, where as an American electrical qualification is not recognised here, more training is required to obtain an Australian licence. Not to say you dont have good electricians there, but chances of getting a wire jerker is far higher over there than here. Performing any kind of electrical work here requires a licence, and that is 4 years training to obtain.
    Well, that would have been nice to know back in 1997. My mom and dad spent a fair amount of coin on that venture XD I was like 14 at the time, I had no frickin' idea at the time. (And no way in sam hell's name was I going to be playing with a circuit breaker box at that age!)

Quote Originally Posted by CasetheCorvetteman View Post
    Unless there was a significantly sized electric motor in the home somewhere that had no power factor correction, the chances of anything else in your home causing issues would be very slim.
    Well, I recall my dad using an 80s Craftsman rotary power saw quite a lot back in the day. We also had a deep freezer in the shed. Not sure if either would matter.

A filtered isolation transformer may help, but i wouldnt hold my breath.
    You mean, something like a HumX? Or is that just some audiophile pablum? (Actually I'm honestly curious, as I somehow doubt the relatively glowing testimonies such devices garner...)
    I trust your typical isobar doesn't do anything quite like that...?
    Last edited by Eep386; 02-12-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Road Rasher

No, a power saw wont be enough, and a freezer will be reasonably power factor friendly.

I dont know what audiophiles are recomending, but for domestic appliances that have switch mode power supplies, it really not that much of an issue, and i wouldnt worry about it.

Well fsck me then, I don't know why our two Saturns were such piles of junk. Guess we just got 'lucky' and wound up with two duds in a row.
    Who knows, maybe third time will be the charm. :P

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    Well fsck me then, I don't know why our two Saturns were such piles of junk. Guess we just got 'lucky' and wound up with two duds in a row.
    Who knows, maybe third time will be the charm. :P
    Ive seen a few fail pretty early in their life, but ive also seen them bullet proof reliable too, i never saw a rental console fail.

Thread Information