Quantcast

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here who doesnt like the Saturn ?

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    From what Ive read, the best games were imports and it doesnt seem like a console worth owning if you only buy US released games.
    This is common thing people say but it's misleading and only applies to some genres. Most of the great 2d shooters were left in Japan but Darius Gaiden and Galactic Attack weren't. The best 2d fighters are imports but that's not the case with 3d ones like Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighters Megamix. Many consider Sega Rally the best racer on it and that came out domestically. For RPGs and strategy games, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, and Dragon Force came here. Shinobi Legions is one of the best 2d platformers on the system. It's a shame Capcom's D&D games didn't come here but Guardian Heroes is a top notch beat 'em up. And of course there's NiGHTS which people seem to either worship or hate.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    From what Ive read, the best games were imports and it doesnt seem like a console worth owning if you only buy US released games.
    Here's a list of awesome titles that were all released in the US:

Sega Rally Championship
    Datyona USA CCE
    NiGHTS into Dreams
    Virtua Fighter Remix
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Fighting Vipers
    Fighters Megamix
    Burning Rangers
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon 2
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Shining Force 3
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic R
    Sonic Jam
    Virtual On
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Street Figther Alpha 2
    Street Fighter Collection
    Megaman 8
    Megaman X4
    Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge
    Galactic Attack
    Darius Gaiden
    Sega Ages Volume 1
    Albert Odyssey
    Dragon Force
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Astal
    Legend of Oasis
    Diehard Arcade
    Virtua Cop
    Virtua Cop 2
    House of the Dead
    Quake
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Powerslave
    Guardian Heroes

There's probably even more than this, but this is what comes to mind off the top of my head.

Basically JP imports are for if you want more RPGs, Shmups, and 2D Fighters.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I was never impressed by the Saturn, Its games library pales in comparison to that of the Playstation,
    this could have been ignored if it at least had some good real Sega games, but other then a handful of interesting stuff
    (daytona/sega rally/virtua cop1&2/legend of oasis) it wasn't really a memorable era for Sega.

Where's Sonic 4? where's Streets of Rage? where's Toejam & Earl 3? where's the rest of Shining Force 3? where's Ecco 3?
    where's Golden Axe 4? (don't care about their 2D fighter) where's Monsterworld 5? where's Ristar 2? where's Eternal Champions II?
    where's Splatterhouse 4? where's the Michael Jackson game? (was he already in trouble back then?)

I mean, where are all those games that got me into Sega to begin with? (though to be honest they did give us Shinobi)

I still remember reading about the upcoming Saturn, and thinking it was gonna be my Megadrive years all over again, but improved!

And then came the day where it was released.. and I wasn't impressed, then they came with mediocre FPS PC port, and slow 3D fighters,
    and stuff I could care less about. (was never a panzer dragoon fan)

Just wanted to continue my Sega time..

To me it really felt like Sega had dropped the ball with the Saturn, I'm sure its got its nice collection of interesting games,
    but the PS1 just had soooooo muuuuuuch moooooooooore to offer.

So no, I don't like the Saturn, don't hate it either.. just don't really care about it.

Master of Shinobi

I think the Saturn did poorly, because people were royally pissed about the way the 32X was handled. $160 for an add-on that was supported for all of a year? Yeesh. So, I could see why there wasn't much in the way of consumer confidence in the Sega brand at that point.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

I doubt most PS1 and N64 owners knew what a 32X was. It's hard to tell how much damage it actually did but it certainly didn't help.

Master of Shinobi

I knew about it, because I frequented stores like Babbages. They had everything, no matter how obscure it may be.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Anyone with a taste for 16-bit and 128-bit Sega games would definitely enjoy:

Virtua Fighter 2
    Three Dirty Dwarves
    Nights into Dreams
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Virtua Cop 1 & 2
    Shinobi Legions
    Powerslave
    Daytona USA
    Bust-A-Move 2 & 3
    Astal
    Earthworm Jim 2
    Clorkwork Knight 1 & 2
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park

...all of the can be found for very affordable, cheap prices.

I don't know about you, but Virtua Fighter 2 is a rather fast 3D Fighter.

If I remember correctly Sonic Team was working on a 2D Sonic 4 that they abandoned in favor of Nights, Sonic Adventure, and Burning Rangers. There was a Streets of Rage 4 in the works, but the outsourced developer wanted to make it multiplatform and Sega said no for obvious reasons. This resulted in the game getting released as Fighting Force for the PS1 and N64. A Saturn version was almost completed, but not released. There was also an Eternal Champions game in the works, but it got cancelled. And the rest of Shining Force 3 was released in Japan due to poor sales of the Saturn.

Seriously, most of those games probably would have came to the Saturn had it sold better in the US. But since it didn't, those games didn't come out. And can you really blame them? Aside from the RPGs those games mostly appealed to the US market. It would have been a gamble to spend money making those games, and it may or may not have payed off. Sega took the route they thought was safer.

Master of Shinobi

Three Dirty Dwarves?

Sounds...naughty.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

The first time I played Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn, I was so impressed I kept thinking it was a Dreamcast (6th Gen) game. The game looks flawless.

Master of Shinobi

I found VF Kids to be somewhat amusing. I have weakness for watching tinier versions of things smacking each other around.
    Maybe that's why Midget Luchadore wrestling is so damned funny!

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

virtua Fighter 2 is indeed stunning to see running. It looks so incredibly smooth... much better than just about anything else at the time.

Fighters Megamix is also a beauty to see in action.
    A retarded Sonic.

The Sega Saturn (import + domestic libraries) kicks the Dreamcast's ass. Second only to the Genesis in awesomeness. And in the realms of shmups and fighters it soundly kicks the Genesis' ass, too.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I'm sure everybody here knows what I think of the Saturn by now. The US Library really is stellar though, at least according to anybody who has bothered to write about it.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Master of Shinobi

When dealing with a system which no region lockout, or simple to overcome with a basic $20-$40 plug in cart, it seems to me to be entirely retarded not to buy good games simply because they're imports.

Saturn is one of the the best gaming systems of the post 16-bit generation.
    It is so much more "quick" to play games than Playstation, or Gamecube, or Dreamcast, or PS2 ..etc
    I'm not talking about loading. From the time the system is turned on to the time you're playing the game is so much faster than any other system up to this generation. Saturn games usually don't have a ton of bullshit developer, and publisher, and sponsor screens. And when they do they are almost always skipable by pressing start.
    The memory/game save system is much better than PS, PS2, GC, and DC. I find it a burden to have to worry about individual memory cards with those other systems. On Saturn I know ALL my game saves that I care about are right there in my PAR 4-in-1, and backed-up on an official Sega Memory cart. And of course there is the legendary Saturn pad. Everything has a solid build quality to it too.
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 01-12-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Thread Information