Quantcast

Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here who doesnt like the Saturn ?

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    That applies to every generation though.
    You would think that much would be obvious, but here I am.

To tie it back to the Saturn, there are a lot of games on the machine that have been boosted as real gems that I don't think are anything of the sort. Astal, Mr. Bones, Virtua Fighter 2, Enemy Zero, Radiant Silvergun - these all are not worth the money, especially not at their current prices.

RSG moreso when a better port exists for like, $10.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorIng View Post

To tie it back to the Saturn, there are a lot of games on the machine that have been boosted as real gems that I don't think are anything of the sort. Astal, Mr. Bones, Virtua Fighter 2, Enemy Zero, Radiant Silvergun - these all are not worth the money, especially not at their current prices.

Sometimes it's just better to get the hidden gems. The prices are what they are, because they know someone will pay for them.

Decathlete is a fun inexpensive game. Gun Gruffin is a cool mech game at a decent price.

And what's so bad about VF2?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

That's why Action Replay carts exist. I've saved a lot of money going for JP versions of expensive games.

What I love about the Saturn is that I keep learning about games I've never heard of or seen before. It keeps surprising me. I wouldn't get that with a Dreamcast and I don't really get that with the MD.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

I wouldn't call those games I listed "gems" though. GunGriffon IS a gem, because it's fun, plays well, and has a neat atmosphere about it. Likewise, Assault Suit Leynos 2 is a gem, even if it pales in comparison to Assault Suit Valken.
    Astal has great graphics wedded to mediocre level design - but if you like the modern output of Vanillaware it would be up your alley. Enemy Zero has some nice atmosphere wedded to absolutely atrocious game mechanics and level design.

I never liked VF2 when I played it, but even if I could chalk it up to taste, how many people seriously prefer VF2 to VF3, 4, and especially 5?

@zetastrike

JP Saturn games are the only way to go these days. No one will disagree. The larger point though is that I don't think any of those games are even worth seeking out (unless you find astal or Enemy Zero for $15). You'd might as well skip straight to the good stuff. Like Darkstalkers, or Soukyogurentai, or Panzer Dragoon Zwei.
    Last edited by EmperorIng; 05-14-2014 at 05:52 PM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'm hoping that everyone starts hating the Saturn. That way I can get the few remaining titles I want to add to my collection at a decent price.

@EmpererIng

I never said anything about importing. My collection is 95% plus North American.
    Last edited by gamevet; 05-14-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'm hoping that everyone starts hating the Saturn. That way I can get the few remaining titles I want to add to my collection at a decent price.
    Secretly part of my master plan.

Also: mixed up who I was talking to. A good chunk of my NA games are sold now. Shining Wisdom was today's casualty. I think the only good thing about that game was its soundtrack.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

vf 2 is a decent game
    a good game actually on a technicla level iwas blown away by the grpahics when i first saw it in motion and it convinded me to buy a saturn

but its soulless its more like a tech demo there characters are empty and hollow and they have no personality
    its just 10 characters with names and each has a martial arts degree and thats about it

tecnically great but utterly devoid of soul or personality
    3 is even worse in that regard utterly empty beyond technical merits

vf didnt get any sort of resembelance to life untill 4
    Kitsune in a hat

Or is at least one of these games in your "comprehensive libraries"?

I've played enough games to know when some aren't worth the time to beat, let alone play. But you seem to assume that I didn't even acknowledge that there are good 16bit games (yes, there are). I don't think there as many as people would think though.
    Comprehensive, as in representative of the general styles/genres available on a platform.
    When you state that "overwhelming majority of those games are the play-once-and-done type" that seems likely that you're dismissive of much more than simply Bubsy and whatever. If we're speaking of the entire list of releases for say the NES/FC, then yeah sure the majority may hardly be worth playing. Still that leaves perhaps a couple 100 that could be appreciated.

and here's my library of Nintendo 8-bit, sure a few duds in there, but the "overwhelming majority" are quite pleasurable and worth learning and getting better at.
    NES
    Arkanoid [w/ controller]
    Bad News Baseball
    Batman Return of the Joker
    Castlevania
    Castlevania III Dracula's Curse
    Caveman Games
    Chaos World [repro]
    Clash at Demonhead
    Conflict
    Conquest of the Crystal Palace
    Double Dragon
    Excitebike
    Fantasy Zone
    Felix the Cat
    Final Fantasy
    Freedom Force
    Ghost Lion
    Guardian Legend, The
    Gun Nac
    Ice Hockey
    Joe & Mac
    Kid Icarus
    Kirby's Adventure
    Kung Fu
    Legacy of the Wizard
    Legacy of the Wizard
    Metroid
    Mig 29 Soviet Fighter
    New Ghostbusters 2 [repro]
    Nightshade
    Ninja Kid (Character Action Series)
    North and South
    Pinball
    Pinball Quest
    Recca (repro translation)
    Rock 'n' Ball
    Rush'n Attack
    Shadow of the Ninja
    Sky Kid
    Solar Jetman
    Spy Hunter
    Stinger [Twin Bee 3]
    Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Super Spy Hunter [Battle Formula]
    Sweet Home
    Thunder & Lightning
    Time Lord
    To The Earth
    Top Players' Tennis, Evert & Lendl in
    Willow
    Willow
    Wizards & Warriors III: Kuros Visions of Power
    Zanac
    Zelda II The Adventure of Link

FAMICOM
    Abruptly Musician (Ikinari Musician Synthesizer)
    Akumajo Dracula Special: Boku (Kid) Dracula
    Antarctic Adventure
    Argus
    Argus
    Arkanoid II
    Armadillo
    Astro Robo Sasa
    Atlantis no Nazo
    B-Wings
    Baltron
    Banana
    Batman
    Bikkuriman World: Gekitou Sei Senshi [Wonder Boy in Monster Land]
    Bikkuriman World: Gekitou Sei Senshi [Wonder Boy in Monster Land]
    Bird Week
    Black Bass II, The
    Blade Buster
    Bomberman II
    Bucky O'Hare
    Castle Excellent
    Challenger
    Chitei Senkou Vazorudaa Bazolder [Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth]
    Cocoron
    Crazy Climber
    Crisis Force
    Daemon Bishop Galius
    De-Block
    Debias
    Dengeki Big Bang [Clash at Demonhead]
    Devil World
    Dezaemon
    Donald Duck
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    Donkey Kong 3
    Door Door [Doa Doa]
    Doraemon
    Dragon Slayer IV Drasle Family [Legacy of the Wizard]
    Duck Tales 2
    Excitebike
    Family Block [? Aka Thunder & Lightning]
    Family Pinball
    Family Trainer (w/ mat)
    Family Trainer: Athletic World
    Family Trainer: Manhattan Police [Street Cop]
    Fantasy Zone
    Fantasy Zone II
    FC Genjin
    Field Combat
    Flying Hero
    Flying Hero
    Fuzzical Fighter
    Galaga
    Ganso Saiyuuiki Super Monkey Daibouken [Adventure of Super Monkey]
    Gegege no Kitaro Youkai Daimajyo
    Gegege no Kitarou 2: Youkai Gundan no Chousen
    Goonies
    Hebereke
    Hello Kitty World
    Higamaru
    Hino Tori [Firebird]
    Holy Diver
    Hyper Olympics
    I Love Softball
    Ikari
    Jackie Chan
    Kaiketsu Yanchamaru
    Kakefu Kun Jump Paradise
    King Kong 2: Ikari no Megaton Punch
    Kiteretsu Daihyakka
    Kyukyoku Tiger
    Lagrange Point
    Legend of Kage (#7)
    Lord of Kings, The
    Lupin the 3rd
    Mario Open [Golf]
    Max Warrior [Isolated Warrior]
    Metro Cross
    Mickey Mouse [? Alice in Wonderland]
    Mickey Mouse III: Dream Balloon [Kid Klown in Night Mayor World]
    Mighty Bomb Jack
    Miracle Ropit's Adventure in 2100
    Moero Pro Soccer
    Ninja Ryuukenden [Gaiden]
    Ninja Hattori Kun
    Ninja Jajamaru-kun
    NY Yankies
    Obake no Q-taro WanWan Panic [Chubby Cherub]
    Ochin ni Toshi Puzzle Tonjan!?
    Operation Wolf
    Pajama Hero [Little Nemo]
    Parodius Da
    Perfect Bowling
    Popeye
    Quarth
    Rainbow Islands The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 (Taito Vol.19)
    Road Fighter
    Robocop 2
    Roller Ball
    Romancia [Dragon Slayer Jr.]
    Saiyuki World 2 [aka: Whomp 'Em]
    Sanrio Cup Bong Bong Volley
    Sansuu 3 Nen - Keisan Game [math game]
    Side Pocket
    Snow Brothers {bootleg}
    Space Hunter
    Space Invaders
    Spartan X (Kung Fu)
    Spartan X (Kung Fu)
    Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
    Spy vs Spy
    Sqoon
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Bros. III
    Super Pinball
    Super Pitfall
    Takeshi no Sengoku Fuuunko (#20)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: the Manhattan Project
    Tennis
    Thexder
    Tiger Heli
    Totsuzen! Machoman
    Tsuppari Wars
    Twinbee 3
    Volguard II
    Wai Wai World 2, Konami
    (Wanpaku Kokkun no Gourmet World) Panic Restaurant {bootleg pirate}
    Warwolf
    Western Kids [Cowboy Kid]
    Wing of Madoola
    Wits
    Wrecking Crew
    Youkai Karabu [Club]
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 05-14-2014 at 11:10 PM.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Hah. Yes. Everyone, please talk more shit about the Saturn. Shout from the rooftops that Panzer Dragoon Saga is trash.

I recommend this thing called the PS2. It even plays games for another good system, called the PS1.
    I love the original Playstation, but PS2 is not one of my favorite libraries. Far from it.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

@j_factor:
    PS2 has some excellent action games, good games from all the big houses (Konami, Capcom, Natsume, Taito), and enough quirky titles to hold its own. And the PS1 library as a bonus. You really can't go wrong, unless someone's still bitter about the Dreamcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    When you state that "overwhelming majority of those games are the play-once-and-done type" that seems likely that you're dismissive of much more than simply Bubsy and whatever.
    You're correct.

f we're speaking of the entire list of releases for say the NES/FC, then yeah sure the majority may hardly be worth playing. Still that leaves perhaps a couple 100 that could be appreciated.
    Couple hundred? No console is that good. Unless, by "appreciation," you mean "can be played once to see what it's like" and give a game the benefit of the doubt. Which is exactly what I said up above, but in a different way. I'm always up for trying a new game, but I doubt "Sansuu 3 Nen - Keisan Game [math game]" is gunna rock the fucking house. While there is a joy in collecting, it certainly doesn't burn in me enough to consider playing the NES version of Tiger Heli (or any version of Tiger Heli). To wit: I am not missing out. And to tie back to the Saturn, no one is missing out on anything if they skip a good chunk of the Saturn library.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Although I was pining for the Saturn as 'quality over quantity', after the novelty wore off, I realized I still like more PS1 and N64 games than Saturn. Probably because I was raised in a culture accustomed to the kind of games which made them successful in the US, and thus had more access to their library. It doesn't matter to me if Saturn was favored in Japan because I grew out of the whole weeaboo mentality years ago; the more I learn about the culture and tastes of consumers in Japan, the more I resent Japanese gaming. They have been just as stubborn and close-minded as many US gamers if not more in terms of what they will play. In some ways I'd even say we had better taste in the west to recognize the goodness in certain genres that never really became mainstream over there. One can only play so many turn-based anime RPGs. The advancement of their technology and innovation is often overestimated, the amount of budget games on PS1 for instance testify to that, making some of the $10 games at Walmart look like Skyrim in comparison. Plus I would argue that a lot of import/japan-made games are actually ruined at times by their unconventionality in a style-over-substance way. This is obviously not an absolute rule, but I started noticing that recommendations for these kinds of games often led me to selling them off much later in my once large PS2 and Saturn libraries. But many of the first party titles are what made Saturn to begin with, just because I enjoy SEGA's output up until the Dreamcast era. They had a decent reputation then in terms of software, and not always with hardware. But then again, we have SSF and Yabause these days.

And just a note, I never understood what the fuck was so appealing about GunGriffon. Any of them. Give me Armored Core over that shit any day, even though it's like picking the best turd in the toilet.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

Japan has always been better at making the arcadey action game. This holds up now comparing stuff like Bayonetta, Onimusha, or [old-skool!] Raiden IV to any comparable Western release.

I too dislike overly-Japanese games (it has to be the right dose - Onimusha has a great deal of "western" sensibility). I wouldn't go far as "resentment," but it's distasteful. Give me a Saturn shooter like Soukyogurentai, with its cool industrial-punk setting over any of the Twinbee's or Cotton games (and I like Cotton 2). Or Darius Gaiden over any of Cave's later outings. As a general rule, robots are always cooler than little girls.

@GunGriffon:

Simpler control setup, faster-paced levels. Overall less complexity, which means you can jump right into the action. Armored Core is fun too, but like any FROM game, super complicated in demanding you use every button on the controller.

Shmups I can agree on, even Twinbee I enjoy. Mechanics-wise it's no different than any other shmup, so it's not too bizarre for me since its mostly aesthetic. On the other hand, Silhouette Mirage was very awkward to me, as a Saturn run-and-gun.

Outrunner

Darius Gaiden over any of Cave's later outings. As a general rule, robots are always cooler than little girls.
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this, as this isn't that popular of an opinion. I find myself having absolutely zero desire to play Otomedius or any recent Cave stuff. Too fanime for my tastes. I want something cool, not otaku, not kawaii. I miss the old shmups. What, Raiden IV has this these days? Anything else? Akai Katana?

How about Psyvariar?

Thread Information