Quantcast

Thread: 1.07 Billion colors

Default 1.07 Billion colors

And here I always thought that 16.7 million colors was plenty. Tell me how that works? Can our eyes and brains even discern the difference between the two? Or is this something that 3D tech uses...

http://www.vizio.com/ces/cinemawide/specs
    MY SEGAS
    [Model 1 Sega CD x 5] [Model 1 HD Genesis w/Component Video] [Model 2 Genesis] [32X CIB] [Master System Model 3010] [Nomad w/LCD mod] [Dreamcast] [Saturn] [Game Gear]

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

Well it's obviously theoretical. It's not like some dude sat down and counted. Probably lots of the 'colours' are in the infrared wavelength and can only be seen by small children and dogs.

Personally I always used to dump on HDTVs and all that stuff until I saw a demo of the Sharp RGBY tv. And the difference was incredible. So I'd imagine there is a difference when you compare it to other TVs, but once it's on your wall it loses that effect because it is relative.
    S A V E R U S T Y

I've got an Asus PA246Q monitor which claims 1.07 billion colours on its IPS panel. In the real world this mostly means everything is hyper-saturated out of the box and needs to be turned way down before it becomes usable. But traditional LCDs had a pretty limited colour gamut, way less than the 16.7 million colours our video cards output, so you got all sorts of weird banding or artifacts. Especially when viewed slightly off center. This one does look quite good under those conditions.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

It's just a marketing ploy to sell a pointless TV to those sorts of douches who think that having an extra million colours on the TV will compensate for the fact they have a small wang. Unless the makers also provide an accessory that upgrades the human eye to view the minute details between those colours it has no real value.

Close this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

50fps because why not? Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
    Unless the makers also provide an accessory that upgrades the human eye to view the minute details between those colours it has no real value.
    Got 6 million dollars?

I guess that 10.7 billion colors would imply 30-bit RGB (10-bit for each component: 1024 1024 1024 = 1073741824).

Quote Originally Posted by Nunzio View Post
    Personally I always used to dump on HDTVs and all that stuff until I saw a demo of the Sharp RGBY tv. And the difference was incredible. So I'd imagine there is a difference when you compare it to other TVs, but once it's on your wall it loses that effect because it is relative.
    You know... where did they get the yellow channel from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
    Unless the makers also provide an accessory that upgrades the human eye to view the minute details between those colours it has no real value.
    Don't get fooled, 256 steps still isn't enough to fool the human eye. It's *extremely* noticeable if you have a very subtle gradient on a large area and you don't do dithering, you can actually see the steps. It isn't an issue for most images, but it's still there, especially for very low contrast images.

Smith's Minister of War ESWAT Veteran Kamahl's Avatar

What Mr. Smith said.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I guess that 10.7 billion colors would imply 30-bit RGB (10-bit for each component: 1024 1024 1024 = 1073741824).

Don't get fooled, 256 steps still isn't enough to fool the human eye. It's *extremely* noticeable if you have a very subtle gradient on a large area and you don't do dithering, you can actually see the steps. It isn't an issue for most images, but it's still there, especially for very low contrast images.
    This. The eye can easily discern 256 steps, and that's all you get for any one color with 24 bit (16 million) color. 10 bits has LONG been considered the lowest number of steps needed to make color gradiants smooth, and most professional graphics programs work on a minimum of 12 bits per color up to as many as 32 bits per color. Most brand new video cards are designed to render at 16 bits per color. TVs have a long way to go to catch up, but I'm glad to see 10 bits per color finally showing up in consumer model TVs. Only pro monitors were available at 1 billion colors before.

I think it means that the panel is available in 1.07 billion different color options... :P
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

It's not so much a channel, there is proprietary software inside them that converts the image to include a range for the yellow.

According to what I just looked up though, the TV I saw displays almost 1.1 billion colours. So I talked myself into a spot. Conclusively I do believe there is a noticeable difference.
    S A V E R U S T Y

Thread Information