Quantcast

Thread: F-22 Interceptor: Tactical Advanced Fighter

Default F-22 Interceptor: Tactical Advanced Fighter

Some games don't die; they just fade away. Such is the case of Electronic Arts' F-22 Inteceptor, which tried to bring fighter simulation action to the Genesis but came up short. Sloppy A.I., choppy animation - you name it, it's here. We've tried to keep an open mind with this one, but let's just call it a "cease fire" and move on. Read the full review and see why enlistment here is definitely a bad idea.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-26-2011 at 09:27 PM.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

i actually fell asleep on that game.. the music, so boring..

It brought PC flight sims to consoles more or less and is a fantastic game. The graphics may not have aged well, but the 3-D graphics, sun flares, chaff effects, and pilot ejecting (useless as it was) is still pretty impressive for the system, especially in a complex PC-style game such as this. F-22 got me to buy a GeniStick it was so good, though unfortunately like Road Rash I don't think I can enjoy it nearly as much today. It's a good case of why games shouldn't reach for the stars and live within its system's abilities.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

ah it was a poor mans treasure,it looked rot it played rot it had 16 simultaineous colours in screen the first thing that came into my mind while playing this was this game sucks D...ck,if it was on a mastersystem then maybe it was impressive i hate this style of 3D.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I agree, with Benjamin, when I was younger I really loved this game. I was into quite a few PC flight sims at the time too so that's probably why. Playing it today I think it deserves the score it got in the review but back at the time it was released I thought it was incredible and a very ambitious attempt to bring a PC experience to the Genesis/Mega Drive.

The thing that killed it for me was the frame rate. It might still be fun on an overclocked console.

The game has not aged well. It was good for its time, but that is all it is. I own this game and the music is not that bad. It is just that the game is pretty choppy.
    "O Rly"

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

the music seems to be only psg and dac or something as been sead in revieuws etc,which is total crap it uses the z80 etc fully its slow its crap its not worth mentioning couse hard drivin isnt either.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Marsh
    The game has not aged well. It was good for its time, but that is all it is. I own this game and the music is not that bad. It is just that the game is pretty choppy.
    sorry to raise this thread from the dead but I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying, this was a fun game to play in 91, alas when I finally got my hands on it as the first game I owned on my gens, 13 years later apart from the music, it was utter crap and hard to fathom any pleasure from the game

Variation bump!

As most know, there are two different cart releases in the US. The original square version with the yellow tab, and the later normal cart design which came in the cardboard box.

Yet there are three versions (at least) of this game.
    1. Yellow tab cart in normal EA plastic box
    2. Yellow tab cart in thin plastic
    3. re-release in cardboard box by Majesco

Thin box left, thick box right:

Back comparison, thin box left, cardboard box middle, thick box right

Copyright block. Thin box top, cardboard box middle, thick box bottom

Copyright block. Cardboard box top, thin box middle, thick box bottom.

Plastic case insides. Thick box has the notches and EA stamping. Thin box has no notches and no stamping.

Manual from thick release on left, thin release on right. Manual on right has darker colors. Compare the blue to purple on the border. Compare the purple in the sky portion at the top.

To account for possible fading on the manual, here is inside back cover with the LHX Attack Chopper ad. The purple vs blue will match the above. Colors in the "thick" version are not as bright. Rest of manual appears to be the same, no difference in the amount of black ink in one vs the other. No text differences between the two.

Spine view. Cardboard box on top, Thin box in middle, Thick box on bottom.

Cart PCB differences between EA and Majesco. Majesco is white PCB and has 2 angled pins on edge connector, EA is brown PCB (looks yellow in photo)

Opposite side pinout differences.

Full picture album on Imgur:
    http://imgur.com/a/dakiD
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Why stop there?

There are two different "yellow tab" carts I have found, BUT I cannot confirm where the A version comes from.
    The two have a label variation, 7015 and 7015A

The text on the fronts are a different font. 7015 is "Assembled" in the USA, 7015A is "Made" in Taiwan.

7015 has parentheses around the R (or perhaps it is a misprint) for registered trademark. 7015A has a circle.

7015 no trademark on cart label top. 7015 has TM on cart label top.

7015 (where label says Assembled in USA) cart stamping says assembled in Puerto Rico. 7015A (where label says Made in Taiwan) cart stamping says Made in Taiwan.

7015 has brown/cream colored PCB. 7015A has white PCB.

Because I had published the previous Imgur album comparing the 3 different boxes, I couldn't add images to it without deleting it. Seems to be too much work to do that. So I made a part two if you want to do some zoomin'
    http://imgur.com/gallery/nWwjH
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Thread Information