Quantcast

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturn has better 2D graphics than the PSX: How do you conclude that?

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Couldn't have been that strict, considering some of the dreck that came through. We're talking about a system with over 1200 US releases, a significant portion of which are utter shite (though not as much as the PS2).
    That's what I mean, it wasn't strict quality control, it was all about marketing the Playstation's image. Sony doesn't know quality, they just know how to make everybody think a certain thing about their system. This is why I think everybody is so convinced the PS1 and PS2 are some kind of polygon powerhouses. There may be some technical reason to believe that the PS1 and PS2 had superior calculations for polygon generation, but everybody thinks that is the case because of marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    There's Sega love and then there's...rabies. I wouldn't like to see any of our wiser members contract rabid fanboy hatred from any of our duller.
    I'm still confused. Am I spreading rabbies by saying Sony had strict controls on what kind of games that were released?
    Last edited by sheath; 02-02-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I remember one interview in which Victor Ireland said that Sony told him that the first Arc the Lad wasn't good enough to release on its own and he said that it was hypocritical because it was made by (the greater) Sony.
    Have you played Arc the Lad 1? It's not at all unreasonable to say that it's not good enough to release on its own, without bringing in the fact that it's 2D or anything. I enjoyed it but it's one of the shortest RPGs I've ever played, and the production values aren't exactly high either.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Sony did have very strict rules, for developers. They would not let the game through unless every criteria is met. You had to give Sony all source files, listing etc. for their inspection. If they did not like something you had to adjust it or have no chance for release. Sony did not allow ASM to be used early on and you had to use their tools. You were not allowed to talk to the hardware directly. Eventually they loosened up as it meant better games in the end.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I'm still confused. Am I spreading rabbies by saying Sony had strict controls on what kind of games that were released?
    My original post implied what j_factor explicitly stated about the # of games &c.
    As to your spreading anything, no, I still think you on the side that would stand to contract.
    Obviously you and I will never agree about Sony's affect on the industry, I'd just rather we kept on speaking terms about it. Eg for all the 2D games they effectively killed by refusing to allow on the PS they still helped conceive as many as Sega during the 32 bit days; many more if you count 2D RPGs (which could all have been forced to be handled like PDS).
    And why does everybody think the PS a polygon power? Because it was the first to succeed at them. It's games didn't look like Hard Drivin, Silpheed, Metal Head, Iron Soldier, or Guardian Wars.

I'm sorry but anybody that believes half the shit Vic Ireland was saying needs to be shot and killed. The guy was a serial liar and a hypocrite. I understood that he had issues with Stolar and he said as long as Stolar was the head guy at Sega he would never work with them again. Once Stolar was fired he started to make up all sorts of excuses about not coming back and proceed to kiss Sony's ass. And once Sony screwed Vic over I felt vindicated and extremely good. And it's not like WD translates the absolute best games. I also don't know where this Sony was anti-2D game from. It was Bernie Stolar that had gotten MK3 and as someone had said earlier Sony bough KOF 95 and SS3 out as exclusive. I was pissed off that these games weren't coming here. I'm sure there were certain 2D games that SCEA didnt want here but not all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Wasn't the whole "No 2D" just from the PS2 days?

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Wasn't the whole "No 2D" just from the PS2 days?
    A few years ago, there was an interview with one of the main people at NIS America, who stated that their games being 2D was never a problem with Sony.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    I'm sorry but anybody that believes half the shit Vic Ireland was saying needs to be shot and killed. The guy was a serial liar and a hypocrite. I understood that he had issues with Stolar and he said as long as Stolar was the head guy at Sega he would never work with them again. Once Stolar was fired he started to make up all sorts of excuses about not coming back and proceed to kiss Sony's ass. And once Sony screwed Vic over I felt vindicated and extremely good. And it's not like WD translates the absolute best games. I also don't know where this Sony was anti-2D game from. It was Bernie Stolar that had gotten MK3 and as someone had said earlier Sony bough KOF 95 and SS3 out as exclusive. I was pissed off that these games weren't coming here. I'm sure there were certain 2D games that SCEA didnt want here but not all.
    Victor Ireland told all kinds of stories as Working Designs had trouble completing and publishing games back in the Turbo and Sega-CD games. Even though they were only localizations. The two Neo Geo ports that WD attempted to build from scratch never produced even a single screen shot. WD added parallax to Exile WP but broke the already unbalanced gameplay by introducing new bugs and shipped it without playtesting or simply not caring.

There was a force working against WD all along that kept holding their releases back and his name is Victor Ireland.

Aren't all CEO types serial liars? The problem is that Victor Ireland gave an account of Sony making certain types of games difficult to localize, citing the Playstation's image as the reason. Unless another developer/publisher went on the record saying Sony never did this we have one fact FOR Sony's strict game approval process and nothing against.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Aren't all CEO types serial liars? The problem is that Victor Ireland gave an account of Sony making certain types of games difficult to localize, citing the Playstation's image as the reason. Unless another developer/publisher went on the record saying Sony never did this we have one fact FOR Sony's strict game approval process and nothing against.
    No they are stiff suit types of guys? What other CEO that you know would actively post in message boards? But as I had mentioned earlier why would it matter since Vic had lied to us outright about supporting the DC? I had always viewed Vic as a real genuine guy who cared about gamers. But once the PS2 arrived he showed his true colors by being a complete phony. And it's not like WD bought AAA games out here all the time. Of the 6 Saturn games they released 3 were good and the other 3 ranged from mediocre(MKR) to garbage (Shining Wisdom)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

People get mad that Vic didn't go back to Sega, but he never claimed he would. He just said he wouldn't work there so long as Stolar was there. Show me a quote where he says, "As soon as Stolar leaves Sega, I promise to go back to making games for them right away," and maybe I'll better understand your frustration.

Either way, it's hard to blame the guy for not going back to Sega. I mean, they were a serious hot mess at the time. Things were really fucked up and in America (where WD published their games), their platform was dead last. It wouldn't have made any sense, financial or otherwise, to go back to Sega at that point.

And I thought Shining Wisdom was quite good. Best Zelda clone I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

I quit video games ESWAT Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl View Post
    And I thought Shining Wisdom was quite good. Best Zelda clone I've ever played.
    I've got to pick that one up sometime. So far, the best Zelda clone I've played is "Neutopia", on the TG-16. If Shining Wisdom is better, I'm really looking forward to getting it.

I think a lot of the hate it gets comes from the inflated prices it goes for on eBay. Lots of people try to sell it in the $80+ range, and it's definitely not worth that much. I payed 30 bucks for it, though, and I was quite happy with my purchase. It's probably not better than Neutopia.

The Saturn might have been in a distant third place by the end of 1997, but in 1996 things were comparable to the Xbox 360 and PS3 last year.

Ok, so it was in a dubious "tied-for-second" type position, in which case it would still have made little sense to jump ship.

Thread Information