32X-men it is then !

and i really didnt need to ponder about juggernauts groin
    Kitsune in a hat

Invader Zim fan Wildside Expert alextheman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    boring !

32X-men it is then !

and i really didnt need to ponder about juggernauts groin
    Nope, the 32X is serious business, like card games.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

still boring !

and there is no need to bring nintendo in to this
    Kitsune in a hat

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Man, I just wish someone could answer my first question in the first post:

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    1) In Cosmic Carnage, what are the exact conditions necessary to get the "best" ending when beating the game?
    For all the ink that's been spilled about the 32X, it's amazing how little we know about many of the actual games.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

^ thats because most people actually havent played it they just grouse about it

for what its worth i actually like cosmic carnage
    Kitsune in a hat

Outrunner

Man, I just wish someone could answer my first question in the first post
    After being reminded about this thread from your post in the other section I feel I can finally put this unhealthy affinity I have for Cosmic Carnage to some use and figure this out over the next day or so.

I recently got in my Japanese 32x copy of this (always wanted one even though the ROM is the same) and was pleasantly surprised by the packaging. The back actually features real gameplay screens and even some of the finishing moves, while the US packaging used plain or boring shots taken from an early prototype.

Awesome! I'm quite sure it's a timer issue, but I wonder whether it uses the sum of all the time you consume in every fight (probably) and whether you're additionally penalized for losses (who knows?).

Outrunner

Another 32x mystery that's lacking clear documentation (or at least existing info collected into one resource) is the batch of protos DRX dumped a while back and how they differ from the retail versions.

I remember reading pretty detailed breakdown on several of the Doom versions, a small list of other games versions were exactly the same as retail, and a bit of info on the Knuckles protos, but beyond that not a whole lot. I'll try to take a peek at the early Cosmic Carnage ones to see if the ending thing is any different on them.

Outrunner

Awesome! I'm quite sure it's a timer issue, but I wonder whether it uses the sum of all the time you consume in every fight (probably) and whether you're additionally penalized for losses (who knows?).
    I meant to post this follow up nearly 4 months ago and just today realized I hadn't.

You're exactly right, the true ending in Cosmic Carnage/Cyber Brawl is the 100% dependent on the total amount of time spent. There are no other factors; it doesn't matter what the difficulty setting is or if you perform fatalities. I'm not sure if having to continue will disqualify you but you can definitely lose a round (or rounds) and still get it as long as you meet the total time requirement.

For the exact amount of time I'm not sure. Assuming you lose no rounds, for rough window as long as you win each round within 40 seconds (80 seconds per match) you'll make it to the escape pod and get the real ending. It's OK to take longer than that on a round or to lose a round as you make up that lost time by winning the following rounds quickly. That works on both Cosmic Carnage and Cyber Brawl.

With 7 opponents (there's no mirror match) at 80 seconds per match is a total of 560 seconds from the time you start. That's not exact, it may be more than that, but you can definitely get it within that time frame.

Thanks for that! I guess the next step would be to track winning playthroughs that get the best ending, and total the number of seconds expended until the key number is found.

Maybe the easiest way would be to do a savestate playthrough up to the final opponent (counting elapsed time along the way), beat him and confirm that you've gotten the best ending -- and then repeatedly restore and deliberately waste time in that last fight until you find the exact threshold to trigger the bad ending.

Thread Information