Quantcast

Thread: Sega CD-X issue

Default Sega CD-X issue

I'm having a really funky CD-X issue, and I'm hoping one of you guru's can point me in the right direction.

Back a few months ago, I was testing out some homebrews I'm working on, and one of them seemed to have caused the CD-X to reboot (using the Everdrive). Now, it didn't bring me back to the Everdrive load/start screen, but rebooted the ROM in memory. I figured it was faulty coding, so I nixed any idea that there were any issues.

Fast forward to a few weeks later, and I'm playing Rocket Knight Adventures (actual cart). It reboots. I tried Double Dragon 5 (Everdrive), it reboots. I tried Mortal Kombat SCD and it rebooted. Now, the Everdrive has never once caused an issue with the model 1 or 2 that I have, and it's not always at the same amount of time that it happens.

I had my friend, who had the tools I didn't have, to test the power supply (OEM power supply). It was outputting 14 volts, with the correct amps. He claims that shouldn't cause any issues because it's within the right percentage of voltage differences (he's a really smart guy when it comes to electronics). Still thinking that it could be, I ordered a replacement, and it outputs the 9.5 v and correct amps. I still have the same issues.

Now, I've also noticed something else while testing the new power supply. The power button seems to be the *cause* of all this. It's hard to explain, but if I power it on, and I push it in just right, I can play for hours, but if I don't, I'll get some noise on the TV, and it'll reboot fairly quickly, other times the noise will happen, then I can play, but will end up rebooting anyway. Think it could be a power button issue? Is there a fuse inside the system that might be shot, or possibly a capacitor?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    I'm having a really funky CD-X issue, and I'm hoping one of you guru's can point me in the right direction.

Back a few months ago, I was testing out some homebrews I'm working on, and one of them seemed to have caused the CD-X to reboot (using the Everdrive). Now, it didn't bring me back to the Everdrive load/start screen, but rebooted the ROM in memory. I figured it was faulty coding, so I nixed any idea that there were any issues.

Fast forward to a few weeks later, and I'm playing Rocket Knight Adventures (actual cart). It reboots. I tried Double Dragon 5 (Everdrive), it reboots. I tried Mortal Kombat SCD and it rebooted. Now, the Everdrive has never once caused an issue with the model 1 or 2 that I have, and it's not always at the same amount of time that it happens.

I had my friend, who had the tools I didn't have, to test the power supply (OEM power supply). It was outputting 14 volts, with the correct amps. He claims that shouldn't cause any issues because it's within the right percentage of voltage differences (he's a really smart guy when it comes to electronics). Still thinking that it could be, I ordered a replacement, and it outputs the 9.5 v and correct amps. I still have the same issues.

Now, I've also noticed something else while testing the new power supply. The power button seems to be the *cause* of all this. It's hard to explain, but if I power it on, and I push it in just right, I can play for hours, but if I don't, I'll get some noise on the TV, and it'll reboot fairly quickly, other times the noise will happen, then I can play, but will end up rebooting anyway. Think it could be a power button issue? Is there a fuse inside the system that might be shot, or possibly a capacitor?

Thanks!
    All I can think of is that a pin the cartridge slot is shorted with another one causing a reboot. Taking a look at the might help.

For capacitors, check to see if any are bulging, corruding, have burst, rusty gunk under it, or turning yellow/orange.

That's not a bad idea (the cart slot), but would that happen if no cart is present when playing the Sega CD side? Upon quick inspection, the cart slot looks pretty clean an unobstructed. I'll dive into the actual console in a day or 2, depending on my free time. Thanks for the reply.

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

There's also a possibility that the power button is dirty, try checking that first before anything else. I highly doubt it's a fuse as the system wouldn't even turn on if a fuse was bad.

Take it apart! WCPO Agent MEGADRIVE Jeroi's Avatar

Your power button seem to act like that you have cold joint on power button or joint is cracked. If you press the power on to one direction and have no problems then the another while losing a crack resulting power suddenly lost from the mobo. I strongly suggest reflowing the power button solder joints. Also power side caps could be replaced if there is bad cap then it might last hour and then shutdown the mobo and empty current out of it. Then it starts to stack current again slowly and again shutdown the mobo and reboot.
    #MEGADRIVEJeroi @ Quakenet irc server.
    Be true to yourself. GFX doesn't matter, the game does. If you are intrested to donate one NTSC Genesis for hardware testing purposes, please pm me.

Sports Talker

Hi mate i am relly good at repairing the sega cdx console let me know if you want me to recap the whole system i can give it a good service.

Thread Information