Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Devastator

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I would be venturing into new territory if I decided to use a flash cart. If I understand correctly, I could use a Everdrive flash cart with the SEGA CD Bios preloaded in order to load a Japanese MEGA CD game.
    Yes, but just to be precise: if you use a full, unmodified Sega CD setup and an EverDrive with a special-free region BIOS loaded, you can get some (not all) Japanese Mega-CD games to run on US hardware.

(Sometimes people think incorrectly that they can run Sega CD ISOs directly from the EverDrive, so I just want to be clear.)

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Neat! As a follow up question, is there a forum thread or web site that lists all known MEGA CD games where this fix works?
    Not that I know of, but it'd be great to have one. We'd need someone with a large Mega CD collection + an EverDrive + US hardware + the willingness to systematically try things out, though, and that may not be easy to find. Or we can piece it together from various sources -- I don't know how Melf is running his Japanese games, but if he's running them on US hardware...

(I don't own any original Japanese Mega CD games, so I don't want to use my own experiences for a list, since I can't be sure that my copies are correct/faithful.)
    The Umbrellahead Review: where the movies are B and the packages large.

Road Rasher

Don't forget there's also the Datel Pro CDX converter cart (which varies dramatically on compatibility) two different software patching programs to use if you burn a CD-R (again, compatibility varies tremendously), and the Megacart that was specifically made to support all regions.

I've used the Megacart on my NTSC model 2 Sega CD and never had a single import game not work. If for some reason Sengoku does have the region check mid-game, the Megacart still fixes it because I've played through it quite a few times.

Master of Shinobi SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thanks for the advice Azathoth and goldenband.

Although I am currently seeking a Japanese Model 1 SEGA CD CIB, I think that either option will serve as a cheaper alternative to playing inport SEGA CD games! Thanks once again!
    Time to wake up Gordon Gekko! It's time to put that plan into action!

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Smith's Minister of War ESWAT Veteran Kamahl's Avatar

Now that i've actually given it a fair shot, the game isn't bad at all. It also gets quite a bit better after the first 2 stages. Yes it's a bit average, yes the graphics and levels are bland in the beginning (they get better). The music isn't bad, it actually uses the scaling chip a little.
    I'd give it a 7/10. An ok game, better than all the FMV garbage.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Yes, but just to be precise: if you use a full, unmodified Sega CD setup and an EverDrive with a special-free region BIOS loaded, you can get some (not all) Japanese Mega-CD games to run on US hardware.
    At least one of the Mega CD games I have boots up like normal, but goes to a screen saying "This games is designed only for NTSC and PAL/SECAM Mega Drives". Would installing a language switch in my Genesis get me past that? Is that also a fix for other games like Sengoku?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    At least one of the Mega CD games I have boots up like normal, but goes to a screen saying "This games is designed only for NTSC and PAL/SECAM Mega Drives".
    Interesting -- which game is that?

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Would installing a language switch in my Genesis get me past that? Is that also a fix for other games like Sengoku?
    I think it might, in conjunction with the EverDrive BIOS replacement, but I don't know (and don't have a region-modded Genesis to check). Let us know what you find!
    The Umbrellahead Review: where the movies are B and the packages large.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Interesting -- which game is that?
    It's Thunderhawk.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.

On the fourth pic it's kind of funny that large nipples were placed on the guys body armor.

Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM2040 View Post
    On the fourth pic it's kind of funny that large nipples were placed on the guys body armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by From the review
    To its credit, Devstator does make a minimal effort to warrant release on CD. Aside from the grainy but plentiful anime cut scenes (filled with gratuitous T&A), the rocking soundtrack is of excellent quality and goes along nicely with the action, and some of the bosses have minor scaling effects.
    I remember GameFan's review of Devastator having the scene of the girl suiting up spread across the top of two pages cel by cel. That and the big scaling cookie boss are all I know of the game.

Thread Information