Quantcast

Thread: We Have an Android App!

Thumbs up We Have an Android App!

You can grab it from the sidebar on the main page. This is something I was toying with, since it's free to do. I want to make an iPhone app, but Apple wants $99 a year for a iOS developer's license just to post in on the App Store, even though making the damn thing is free.

Try out the app and let me know what you think!

Cool. Yup, Apple is greedy but it seems to work for them as everyone wants to make an iPhone app.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Does the app save on data at all? So far while trying it out it lets my phone see the site more how it looks on a PC, but the scrolling is pretty choppy compared to my phone browser.

Master of Shinobi SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Melf, did you develop the application yourself? If so, was it easy to use the tools to make the application? I ask, only because I would like to use this type of app for a business application.
    Time to wake up Gordon Gekko! It's time to put that plan into action!

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I tried it today, it worked fine. I couldn't tell much of a difference between the app and viewing the site through the phone's web browser but I didn't use it much. My biggest problem with either is when typing messages on the forum the screen zooms in too much and I can't see everything I'm typing unless I click on the text and scroll right and left.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Melf, did you develop the application yourself? If so, was it easy to use the tools to make the application? I ask, only because I would like to use this type of app for a business application.
    I used a free website called AppGeyser to make it. I was just messing around with it, to see if it could be done. While I admit that it's cool to see a Sega-16 icon on my phone, the app doesn't really do that much right now. I do like how it accommodates the text to fit the screen when you click on an article, but that's about all it does, lol.

Master of Shinobi SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thanks for the information! I was just looking at their web site and there definitely some potential with respect to monetization. What is interesting is that people can share the application using Facebook and Twitter. Interesting! Very interesting! If done right, it has the potential of driving traffic!

Melf, thanks so much for the information! I am going to look into AppsGeyser and see how I can utilize it.
    Time to wake up Gordon Gekko! It's time to put that plan into action!

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Hi Melf,

Have you heard of Tapatalk? It's what we use over at Shoryuken.com and it's very slick. It is a native app for Android, iPhone, Blackberry that makes it very fast to browse forums on a phone. Jump to about 2:30 in this video to see an example of how it works.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

Thanks!
    Kyle

I've heard of it, but it's for forums and not the entire site, right? The app lets you view both, which is what I'd like to focus on. This is only like a placeholder though, as time and funds permit I'll be upgrading the app to make it more feature-rich where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I've heard of it, but it's for forums and not the entire site, right? The app lets you view both, which is what I'd like to focus on. This is only like a placeholder though, as time and funds permit I'll be upgrading the app to make it more feature-rich where possible.
    Yessir. It's strictly for the forums - but on the flip side it makes them about a thousand times faster to load on a phone. Would a donation be an incentive to load it? I'll be your super best friend.

Ha ha. I don't think it's all that expensive. I'd just have to check with our webmaster about setting it up. I've been thinking about it for a while, and the more options we give our users, the better, so I'll talk to cka about what's needed to get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Ha ha. I don't think it's all that expensive. I'd just have to check with our webmaster about setting it up. I've been thinking about it for a while, and the more options we give our users, the better, so I'll talk to cka about what's needed to get it working.
    It is actually free for you to load. I was just asking if a PayPal donation would motivate you to do it. Thanks for checking!

Death Adder's minion

Very Cool. I have it on my Android and it works pretty well...

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I have run into one problem that I wish this app could fix. Text boxes won't let me select and copy specific text. That means that when I'm stranded and on my smrt phone I can't cut and paste quote brackets easily for a reply. This is across all browsers on android 4 and the sega-16 app. I can selectively copy text in a website or post, not not in a text box.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Thread Information