Quantcast

Thread: Anybody ever made their own Sega CD case before?

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

Default Anybody ever made their own Sega CD case before?

I got the idea for this last night, when I was looking at my 32X-CD copy of Supreme Warrior. That game doesn't come in a standard Sega CD jewel case, but instead comes in a cardboard case, that is shaped the same as the plastic cases. The actual cover looks to be nothing more than a big sticker placed over cardboard cut to Sega CD lengths.

Yesterday, I bought some cardboard and made a box to the same dimensions as my Sega CD boxes. It's still bare cardboard, but sitting on the shelf it looks like a brown Sega CD box. I made it a clamshell design, just like the Supreme Warrior box, and monday I'm going to get some prints done on adhesive paper. I'm printing in 3 pieces, since I can only get adhesive prints done on 8x11 paper - the front and back pieces are entire sheets themselves, and I've made a spine piece that will wrap a bit around onto the front.

Pics of the work in progress:

I know a lot of people use DVD cases for their custom Sega CD and Saturn covers, but they're really shaped a lot differently. Anybody else ever done anything like this?
    A retarded Sonic.

That's Sir Guntz to you Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Inspired by MVS mini boxes I see?

Come join us on Micro-64! Super Mario Land 3! Order now from RetroQuest Games!
    My selling thread, featuring a Game Gear system bundle, big box PC games and more!

Never seen those mini boxes before, but I would rather get something full sized. Thats the whole point of this little project - I want a box shaped like a Sega CD or Sega Saturn longbox.
    A retarded Sonic.

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

Looks like a lot of work. Why not just get a DVD case and go to cover project for a printable cover? They seem to have many that have been resized for DVD cases.
    It is finished!

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Props for having the 3do Wing Commander 3 in the background
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
    Looks like a lot of work. Why not just get a DVD case and go to cover project for a printable cover? They seem to have many that have been resized for DVD cases.
    It's just folding cardboard and taping it together, how is that a lot of work. As for DVD cases... I went over that in detail in my post. Did you skim it?

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Props for having the 3do Wing Commander 3 in the background
    All those regular jewel cases are 3DO games too. I'm going to make longboxes for them as well.
    Last edited by TheSonicRetard; 04-15-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    A retarded Sonic.

I still prefer DVD cases. They stand out as not being original and still look nice with printable covers and fairly easy to make cases for homebrew.

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

and here is the rest of TheSonicRetards arcade...

Last edited by ThugsRook; 04-16-2012 at 04:33 PM.

I'm a orange werewolf!!! Road Rasher Sly Wolf's Avatar
    If you discovered me, I will rip you apart...

I actually made Genesis boxes instead years ago, so I can printed out front and back artwork cover in order to glue them on front and back sides. This was going to be used for my five or ten favorite genesis games that is missing artwork and cases, but it was way too time consuming that front and back cover papers were never printed out (however one was printed out and choose to put comix zone front and back artwork cover inside real genesis clamshell case that is missing game instead). Only few blank boxes were made and folded (all was used for games that has manual of their own but no artwork and case), but my mom discovered five unfolded box layouts last year which is sitting in my room right now.

But right now I would rather buy dirt cheap sport games and used their cases (with printed out artwork covers) instead of making my own genesis boxes. It's too time consuming to make them.

P.S. Mr.Smith, your guts is STILL mine! As a orange werewolf, I should rip out your guts the most painful way that you'll ever imagine! I guarantee this will happen one day! I should eat it like a king.

Wildside Expert

TheSonicRetard and Guntz thanks for the ideas. I have some 32X CD games and that is a very orginal idea. I really like the Neo Geo boxes, since the label would be facing out it would look really good on a shelf.

ThugsRook that arcade sure bring back the memories. My friends I built one just like it but we never got to play any games. Little Jimmy's mom took our scissors away before we could cut out any cardboard tokens. Guess she thought we would stab each other with them. We couldn't afford another pair which was why we made everything out of cardboard to begin with but are arcade probably would'nt have lasted the crash of '83 and '84. So it was all for the best.

Thanks again for the Great Walk down memory lane. Good Idea's gang!

It really is a shame that no one makes those Long Box cases anymore. Though if Watermelon was able to have Genesis style clamshells made, perhaps if enough of us came together to justify the order we could see if some company could produce replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    It really is a shame that no one makes those Long Box cases anymore. Though if Watermelon was able to have Genesis style clamshells made, perhaps if enough of us came together to justify the order we could see if some company could produce replacements.
    I've mentioned this before, but I've looked into getting longboxes reproduced and it's possible but not cheap. The main problem is the lack of molds for the cases. If I had the molds I'd gladly front the couple of grand to produce the cases for sale, but the problem is that with no molds for them I'd need to make them first and that like triples the cost.

I'm sure the molds are still around somewhere though (probably China, if they weren't melted down already). If I could locate the owner and get some made it'd be a dream for those of us who love the longbox!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

I made a full insert for Sonic Megamix and put it into a Standard Sega CD case that I got from some shitty sports game.

Good job with that cardboard box, good craftsmanship. It looks good. I just don't like the feel of cardboard.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

No, but I wish someone would make some new molds and start producing the acrylic long cases again.
    It is finished!

Master of Shinobi EclecticGroove's Avatar

I wonder if you could get one of the 3D printers to make these cases without too much of an issue. They probably would not be clear (I don't know how good they are at such things). But seems like anyone with a reasonable knowledge of them and the 3d formats they use should be able to get it to work. It would basically just be 2-3 "prints" for the cover, backside, and optionally the insert portion. A little post print clean up and they would be good to go.

Obviously it wouldn't be great for large runs, but for a handful of cases it should be very workable.

Thread Information