Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this strange Mega Drive controller?

Shake well before use Master of Shinobi Robotwo's Avatar

I actually expected it to go for much more.
    It's a very interesting controller I must say, looks a bit like the saturn 3D controller

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    How much would you expect to pay for a 1989 analog controller? On top of that, it's compatible with several FM Towns and X68000 games; we are talking about 2 of the most expensive and sought-after platforms by the great collectors nowadays... It's also compatible with MSX and PCE (using an adapter) (looks like it's compatible with PCE's Outrun)...

If you consider that an almost common Amiga CD32 pad by Competition Pro, which similar Mega Drive model usually can be found for USD2.00, usually goes for USD40.00-USD55.00 on eBay... Then the XE-1 AP is not that expensive...
    At least it's really rare and a very odd controller.
    Hell, a Jaguar Pro controller goes for $100 these days. And that is much less rare than this controller.
    A retarded Sonic.

Progression of this thread:

What is this thing?
    It's this...
    ZOMG RARZ!!!

Be Attitude For Gains!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

It is currently unknown if support remains for this controller in the westernised versions of these games.
    I'm not sure how many around the forum have this controller but if someone was willing to test it out that would be awesome. If it's compatible with Space Harrier 32x then that alone would probably make it worth picking up
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

No one here have a Wii with Homebrew Channel and a Classic Controller to test with the emulator?

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I'm not sure how many around the forum have this controller but if someone was willing to test it out that would be awesome. If it's compatible with Space Harrier 32x then that alone would probably make it worth picking up
    Quote Originally Posted by ReBirFh View Post
    No one here have a Wii with Homebrew Channel and a Classic Controller to test with the emulator?
    I will have one XE-1 AP with me in some weeks then I will test several games and all suggestions are welcome.
    There's no reason to "It is currently unknown if support remains for this controller in the westernised versions of these games." in most of the cases 'cause several of those games were world releases, with the rom being the same for all regions.

According to my experience with the Sega Mouse and the Justifier, there must be several other compatible games that aren't in that list.
    I'll do my best to discover them all. I have an Everdrive MD and a Mega CD 2 but I don't have a 32X, so that will be a problem to check Space Harrier 32X and After Burner Complete but my personal guess is that it isn't compatible with any other 32X game that is not in that list.

I think we will have better chances with games released prior to 1993 or sequels to such games, but only games developed in Japan. I'm curious about Robo Aleste and F1 Beyond The Limit.
    Last edited by Barone; 04-17-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Try Master System Games on it ....

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Somewhat related (in that this controller works on the MD): Here's the analog controller for PCE (not sure if it need an adapter for MD usage like the PCE does).

Hero of Algol

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tomaitheous again."

Thanks a lot, Tom. I'd love to discover that MD OutRun is compatible with the analog controller. Since Super Monaco GP II is said to be compatible I have good expectations to find at least one more racing game by SoJ also compatible. Would be neat to controls the speed like he showed in this video.

I'm very anxious to test the controller. I think I'll try the X68000 ports, like Granada, and the games by the same developers of those are listed on SegaRetro. For an example, the same developer of Night Striker port for the MCD also developed Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge and other games that could do a good use of the analog controller.
    Last edited by Barone; 04-19-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

How did this get on? Mine arrived this morning. I'm currently testing Space Harrier. So far so good, but it seems to want to pull to the right, is there a way of calibrating the centre position?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found some screws on the bottom and got it sorted. It's a quality controller, After Burner and Space Harrier are a pleasure to play with it. I'll do some testing and see what else plays with it in my collection.

MODS Would a kind moderator move this post to this thread...

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ource-JP-docs)

... it seems to fit better here. Thanks very much!
    Last edited by cleeg; 12-02-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    How did this get on? Mine arrived this morning. I'm currently testing Space Harrier. So far so good, but it seems to want to pull to the right, is there a way of calibrating the centre position?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found some screws on the bottom and got it sorted. It's a quality controller, After Burner and Space Harrier are a pleasure to play with it. I'll do some testing and see what else plays with it in my collection.

MODS Would a kind moderator move this post to this thread...

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ource-JP-docs)

... it seems to fit better here. Thanks very much!
    LOL I had forgot about this thread, sorry for the delay on my part here. I picked up one of these about a year after I posted originally for a low price. I tested Space Harrier and a number of other titles and it worked great, there is a switch on the bottom to change between PC/MD though so make sure you have that in the right location before trying to use it.

(Feel free to disregard the other bits in the picture)

Like others said the build on this is quite good for an analog stick from back in the day, and the games that it does play with are quite nice.
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Thanks for the info, I did have a play about with that switch to no avail. Nevermind, I don't fancy playing MUSHA analogically (new word?) but for the 32X titles already mentioned it really is a game changer. I got the one with orange buttons, and not for cheap either! And UK customs stung me...

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Master System CHEETAH BOLLISTIX CONTROLLER

This controller just caught my eye (looked odd wanted to know more) on eBay. Seller states it's for the Master System called it Cheetah Bollistix and that it from the UK. I can't find anything info on it with the first quick search on Bing. Edit: Okay looks like I fond it. Seller misspelling it the correct spelling is BolliStick and is the Mega Drive model.

Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 01-16-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Lol, those hand grips remind me of a hanging pair of balls or something. Based on the button configuration I'd assuming the mold was originally for a NES or PCE and was just re-purposed to the Genesis.

Thread Information